1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Icewind Dale 2 Expansion?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Iroden Wildwanderer, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Iroden Wildwanderer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm new to the IWD2 scene, but while palying the game I got slightly disappointed by the leaving out of 3D Accelleration from IWD2. Don't get me wrong, but the game would run better if it had 3D support. When Black Isle release IWD2's expansion who thinks that 3D support should be included? Also feel free to post what else you think should be in the expansion, you never know Black Isle may just listen to us and put it in.

(By the way, in case some of you are thinking that that last line sounds suspisious, I'm not from Black Isle or any of the companies that made IWD2, I'm in Australia and wouldn't know the first thing to do in making a quality title such as IWD2)

2. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hey, welcome to Sorcerer's Place. I don't think that Balck Isle is even going to make an expansion for Icewind Dale 2. If they did though, I think 3d support would certainly be a plus!

3. Gwenhwyfar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't really think that Black Isle is going to make an EP, and if they did, I wouldn't want it to be 3D. My stupid computer can hardly handle IWD II as it is... >.<

4. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Actually, Black Isle is using a new game engine called Velocity Engine on their coming game Lionheart, and still no 3D. If you ask me, VE looks pretty much like IE from the screen. i am still downloading the demo.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If they had any intention of making an expansion, they would have released a patch to fix IWD2 first (improved initiative, anyone?). But as that didn't happen and obviously never will, don't count on any expansion either.

Btw, the 3D support in IE games is practically all cosmetics and in no way makes anything apart from some spell effects and the fog of war look prettier. If anything, the 3D support usually bogs down the game so much it's unplayable on anything but the fastest computers. It was never meant for anything else but for the marketing to be able to stick a "3D Support" label on the game box for those people who won't buy anything unless it says 3D on it. IE games are all 2D, and no matter what you try to do, you can't change that fact.

7. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hey Taluntain.

I don't what be uncourteous. But I see one good point of having 3D support in DnD games: to rotate and/or zoom the scene and "see better" what is going on.

For example speel effects in IWDII sometimes make the scene unrecognisable. There are some other solutions, that I see as better ones (no such HW requirements, more details possible):
    • List of all characters and item in the scene - you can target an object without having doubts
    • List of all ongoing actions - who is attacking who, who is casting a spell (only if one of your character could recognize this spell, ...)
    • ???
    Many such things could be read in consoles (IWDII has one too :) ).

These are only possibilities. DnD is originaly turn based. IWDII is near to turn based because of "PAUSE on turn end". With more infos without many "nice things" (visual effects) it would be better understood by new players (I mean DnD rules and their usage, or other rules in any game).

I agree, that you need more info on playing DnD game. And you need more schnick-schnack for selling a computer product ;)

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Quicho, I was talking about the "3D Support" as it was implemented and called in BG2, for example. I'm not talking about 3D games. No IE games are even nearly 3D. NWN, the next generation, is - but it's not an IE game.

You're obviously confused between 3D and 3D support... Two totally different things. You can have a 3D game (ala NWN), and a 2D game with optional 3D support (some IE games). Considering an IWD2 expansion would logically not switch to a totally different engine than IE, I presume the topic starter was talking about the same thing I was, not what you believe he was.

9. Bloke with sword Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] sorry Tal but considering im not a computer anylist or someone like that, what is 3d support?

and no i didnt think it meant turning the game into 3d.

10. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

3d support could means use of special 3D driver / OS / HW support (mostly to improve performance of rendering scenes, or to exploit special rendering algorithms like fog creation, particle system, lights, shadows, ...).

All layers (driver, OS, HW) can implement these features. If HW (graphic card with accelerator) implements them, driver or OS uses this implementation. Otherwise they implement these features. Heard something on OpenGL, DirectX, ... ?

These features can be used also in 2d engines with some tricks. Of course best usage is in real 3d applications.

Is this it Tal?

11. Taluntain

Media:
  12. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

i apologize for my latency, but reading this post i noticed something that teekc said. about the Velocity engine and the game Lionheart, what is that about? what sort of game is it? does anyone know a release date?

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

http://lionheart.blackisle.com/
    What sort of game? If you judge by the demo it will be a terrible game. But I would say it's going to be a great sort of game.
    And its release date? Sometime this month iirc.

14. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Thanks

15. Iroden Wildwanderer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Taluntain was right. I meant that 3D support should be put in to speed up some of the spell castings of the game. My computer runs the game okay, but I was dissappointed that BG2 had 3D support and IWD2 didn't. Having now reached the 3rd chapter, I still think that an expansion should be made for IWD2. Even if that expansion takes the adventurers somewhere awy from the Ten-Towns, like what HoW and TotLM did.

16. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31

Actually, if there's not going going to be an expansion for IWD2, we could make one by modding the game. I already have a Creature Editor capable of creating/editing creatures, the only thing that is needed is an area editor which I could work on, and Weidu to work some dialogs.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes, some expansion would be nice to see. It could:

1) Fix Improved Initiative. It sucks that not even a patch has been created to fix this.

2) Include Prestige Classes.

Epic feats would be nice for levels 21+ (nay, they're not overpowered - just look at the other prerequisites, like CHA 25+).

Item creation and metamagic wouldn't hurt.

And, finally, paladins of Mystra should be allowed to multi into sorcerer class. Paladins of Ilmater should certainly be allowed multiclassing monk with paladin as Ilmater himself did (he's monk 20 / paladin 20). Paladins of other deities than Helm, Ilmater or Mystra wouldn't have any different multiclass options, but come on - it's important for a paladin's deity to be THE deity and not a similar one. I guess people would really like to see Torm here. Perhaps Tyr too. However, I, for example, would rather they also included paladins of Lathander. I suppose some people would also welcome paladins of Good, Law, Light, Justice etc - there's plenty of those (and they aren't necessarily atheistic - they just don't choose any particular deity). Even if this only means a different name - and well, what else does one really need. Of course, a few special dialogues would be nice, but again - not really indispensible. For sure paladins of Kelemvor would make quite a nice roleplaying experience.

18. Sendel'ar Gems: 3/31

Including prestige classes is excluded (lol). It is exe hardcored, meaning we would have to replace classes in order to add prestige ones. All the others are possible....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.