1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Waking Valin

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by dkamnitzer, Jun 17, 2003.

1. dkamnitzer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Does anyone know what to do if Guthewulfe Henghelm doesn't have the Braehg in his inventory and after I steal the letter from Valin, he still doesn't accept the drink. I added a flask of Braehg and a bottle of it using Dalekeeper and it still doesn't allow me to give it to him. Is there a switch that I need to set to get him to accept the drink. Thank you.

2. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You need to talk to the towns leaders wife. I can't remember her name. But she explains that Valin isn't cureable but you can try.

3. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I'm not sure what happens when you pickpocket the note first. I gave him the flask first. According to the strategy guide *spoiler* it looks like you only give him a "sip" and keep the flask. You might have to talk to Elytharra, since she gives the quest to cure Valin. Also *spoiler* if you haven't killed Phaen (since he's the poisoner) that might be the cause... But according to the strategy guide, it doesn't seem to matter how you get the braegh. Also, also (I made this silly mistake the first go-round) pick-pocketing Guthewulfe may get you something (don't know what) but stealing from Guthewulfe occurs on the merchant buy/sell/steal screen because he's a trader. You can purchase other things from him as well...

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What letter do you steal from Valin? I don't remember a letter, just some ravings about the Goblin Fortress and some XP for giving him some Braegh.

Plus, I don't see how the guy in the Salty Dog could possibly NOT have the braegh in his inventory. Surely it is always there.

5. dkamnitzer Gems: 2/31

The only things that I have done to the installation of the game is I installed the Ease of Use mod with all of its addons, and reinstalled the most recent patch. Does anyone know if one of the mods in that combination of mods causes the problem I'm having, or if there is a switch to activate the speech to give Valin the drink. I know it's not a needed quest to complete, but I like to be thorough. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions. The way I resolved the problem was I uninstalled the random treasures and Heart of Winter items from the Ease of Use mod and the drink was back in the traders inventory. This triggered the switch to offer it to Valin.

[ June 23, 2003, 15:12: Message edited by: dkamnitzer ]

6. JRRneiklot Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I had this same problem, except I did manage to find some Braegh. It still didn't trigger the right dialogue. It appears the ease of use mod was the problem. I uninstalled the same mods you did and got it to work. Then I reinstalled EoU. Hopefully, it won't cause any more errors.

7. barleycorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have the ease of use mods installed, and had no problem with this...

8. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I agree with Barleycorn. I also had the Ease of Use mods installed and had no problems with this encounter. Just talk to Elytherra , get the quest, and make sure you have some Braeg.

9. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I've just got to comment. Is it just me, or are there an awful lot of characters named Valen, or Valin, or some derivative thereof on SP games? I mean, we've got the famous Valen the Vanp from BG 2, a similarly named henchman in HotU, and now this Valin.
    Enough's enough!
    Game devs of the world, unite! Think of a new name!

On topic, I've had ease of use installed pretty much since I got it, and I've never had any problems with any of the quests.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never had any problems with this quest.

11. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Harbourboy,

If you pickpocket Valin you get the aforementioned letter, and a gem or two. I believe this allows you to cure him without talking to Elytharra.

12. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I had this problem with EoU installed. One section randomizes some merchant items. I uninstalled that part and had no problem.

13. Daragnia Onyj Snererme Gems: 2/31

Jeeze come on all i did was talk to him without talking to Ethyla or picpocketing him u just have to have a frask of braegh and play the drinking game with that barbarian trader guy in the salty do he says. U talk to Valin and he says "Poisened need.... Braegh...huh!" Then u go oh i have some here take it and he goes "yuk" and all the rest. And i unistalled all of the mods and the patch.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.