1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need a new game

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Whilhelm, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Whilhelm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] IWD2 was my first rpg game and I really enjoyed it. I haven't played many computer games so my knowledge of them is sparse. Can you suggest another computer game I might enjoy? Thanks

2. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Planescape: Torment is similar, although npcs are unique (as is your character). This game has *very* good and complex story (strong as Lord of the rings I think, yet in a different way) and is not so about combat.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 has very good story too, but in "ordinary" fantasy seting. Epic adventures...

Enjoy!

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

IWD (IWD2's prequel) is pretty much similar to the gameplay from IWD2. If you enjoyed IWD2, you will enjoy IWD (even though it's 2nd edition ;) )

Earlier mentioned games like Planescape:Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 will probably also be games you'll love. Especially BG2, which is in my opinion one of the best CRPGs out so far. (too bad it's 2nd edition :( )

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  5. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You don't mention what it was you liked best about IWD 2, or whether you are looking specifically for a D&D based game, so I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend Arcanum. Like IWD 2, it has excellent dialogue and scenery, and character development is even more complex than IWD 2's adaptation of 3E D&D. If IWD 2 was your first CPRG, and one of the things you liked about it was character development, older 2E D&D games like Baldur's Gate or the original Icewind Dale might seem a bit... ha ha... two-dimensional. It does take awhile to get used to the interface though.

And as the others have mentioned, Planescape Torment is just a great game all-round. It also seemed to have the same dialogue-writers as IWD 2 as the humour was similar.

6. Void Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Morrowind!

One of the best RPGs I've ever played...

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The Icewind Dale/Heart of Winter bundle is going for something like $20 now.

A good buy.

Planescape is a GOOD game, but the interface and resolution will throw you off. You are better off playing through Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale 1 first.

If you are prepared to take a "step back", then play through Planescape. It is an excellent game, and a very involved story. It is HIGHLY dialogue intense. It's not like IwD2, where you have 3 or 4 options, as the norm. You'll have 5 or 6 in Planescape. There's something like 360,000 words of dialgoue in PsT, and like 120,000 in BG1, and I'd guess, about 90 or 100,000 in IwD2.

Morrowind is a good pure RPG as well. The interface is 3d, and on top of that, the characters you interact with don't (normally) have a negative attitude toward you. It's a positive kind of RPG; like, family material kind of positive.

Arcanum is an excellent play. The resolution is down from IwD2, and the interface is nearly as different as Planescape's. Arcanum is an excellent RPG as well. Very involving. Highly story driven and very interactive.

If you are looking for more good adventure and kombat, IwD1 is the way to go.

If you are looking for a good blend of story and combat, Baldur's Gate 2 or Baldur's Gate 1 or Morrowind is the route.

If you are wanting an intense story and very interactive (as in, your choices have some very noticable impact on the entire game and gameplay), Planescape and Arcanum are the move to make.

There are various others, but those are the highlites. Dungeon Siege is another RPG. Deus Ex is to a point.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

May i suggest Divine Divinity and Final Fantasy 7

9. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] i suggest diablo 2 or warcraft 3...easy to learn,no d&d rules,pure hack n slash..and strategy..but have a medieval looks just like icewind dale and other blackisle games...or maybe final fantasy series...

10. Whilhelm Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Thanks everyone for your input, I'm sure with your information I will find just what I'm looking for.

11. COPENHAGEN Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

warcraft 3(RPG and tactics game style), neverwinter nights, and divine divinity(i strongly recommend).

12. Istari of Thay Banned

Heres a list of "must have games"... I've played them all, and theire adorable... :love:

(I'm quite proud of this list,
    please don't mock it)

RPG:
    BG

BG - Tales of the Sword Coast

BG 2

BG 2 - Throne of Bhaal

IWD

IWD - Heart of Winter

IWD 2

NWN

NWN - Shadows of Undrentide (Coming soon)

PsT

PoR

FAERUN, FAERUN, FAERUN...

[ February 17, 2003, 15:08: Message edited by: Istari of Thay ]

13. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, I must say that I'd play Baldur's Gate saga just for the story... Not only for the graphic...

IWD is very much like IWD2, or the proportional maybe is more like it... :) However, the prequel is far easier than IWD2... You can start with 1 character and beat up the game quite easy... With 2 the game is comically easy... Only knowing with what to play, I'd add...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.