1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is IWD II dying?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by The Black Raven, Sep 17, 2003.

1. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I wouldn't say that IWD2 is a bad ROLE-playing game. Role-playing is what you make of it, heck, you could role play in Counter-Strike or Quake is if you REALLY wanted to. It is just easier to roleplay in a game like BG2, because it provides more npc interactions. I suppose it depends on what the player is looking for. Oh well, I was just kinda writing what I felt like, sorry if this short post made absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

2. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hey Fade.

You got a point.

Now, as I read your post I think I did some roleplaying in Quake III.

Sometimes I just focused on ONE enemy. I tried not to hit anybody else. Or I tried to help anybody. No matter how often I died or how many frags I got.

But this was only on out LAN parties, when we were bored. Normaly it is only a frag hunt.

But back to the thread.

Everything man-made in this world is dying. IWDII too. But how fast?

Or is it dead? Don't think so.

I think that people who try it CAN like it. It will be something new for them. But it can't be this fall's (autumn's) hit.

3. The Black Raven Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

heh I wish they made Baldur's Gate III: Shadows of Icewind Dale instead of IWD II lol...

(don't worry about my useless replies they're just to keep the post going)

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I tried it again a few weeks ago. Didn't get very far at all, although I must admit I got further than the first time. I just couldn't stand another pointless incounter.

You chop a group of monsters apart, you walk across a bridge and, surprise surprise, another pointless group of monsters. I've only came across one quest which you could talk your way through instead of fighting.

As for the topic question, I wouldn't say it is dieing, it just never lived, in my world atleast.

5. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Gopher i think you should stop flaming others RIGHT now. i say again, for a computer game it had enough roleplayaspects.

i myself am a PNP dungeonmaster of Earthdawn, D&D, SR and a german RPG you may not know called DSA. i've been playing RPGs for over 10 years now ... i KNOW what the spirit is.

another cute thing of IWD (1 and 2) was the music. much better balanced than in bg.

6. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You're right!! what a wonderful soundtrack!! I use it to ambientate when I DM with my friends. Very cool.

7. smelly commoner Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Somehow I just dont have the urge to go thru the game again like i did with BG2. I like the way the party can be changed at will. Too many potions and other cheese for my mind. Also found Fell Wood and the Time Trap extremely irritating.
    Would love to see something like Planescape Torment again, where dialog choices really make a difference.

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I wouldn't call that flaming Bloodtitain, and even if it is he is perfectly correct.

IMO, when who is talking about the good points in a game can only mention the soundtrack, the game is certainly dead.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think it was flaming. Instead of talking about the game, it went to what's wrong with people who like it. An absurd notion, if you talk about games. What's wrong with people who play Warcraft, Counter-Strike and Civilization and acutally like it ? They never played any real game! They have no clue!

10. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Haha, so does everybody else. Spirit is individual, like everything. Someone thinks that Diablo II is a RPG, it isn't IMO. But in your opinions it might be.
    So we can't put a post-it note IWD2 and say that's it's not an RPG, neither the other way...

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Calm down, people. I don't think Gopher intended to flame anyone, not on purpose anyway. He obviously just didn't like the game at all.

Anyway, my opinion is that IWD2 offered more than enough to anyone who actually wanted to roleplay. For me, it was certainly easier to roleplay IWD2 than NWN's official campaign, if we're going into comparisons.

12. Callidus Gems: 1/31

IWD2, is a good game but I do believe its re playability is poor in comparison to BG, sward coast, BG2, BGTOB, IWD1, HofW and PT:Torment - due to its lenier build, Lack of role playing and complexity of rules - up until IWD2 you could see definite evolutionary trends progressing through the series - maybe the evolution has started to go down the wrong path with IWD2, its lost its wow factor, you may play it a few times but after that there's not that much you can do differently and boredom starts to set in.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just a thought. Maybe BGII was too successful. People keep playing it. If you are playing BGII are buying other games? A game you can play for years isn't making money for the makers. Maybe why they added TOB. They knew we would buy it. Just guessing.

14. Rotku

Of course they knew people would buy it. I think their market reseaches would be smart enough to work that out.

But you are right. BG2 was great enough that I haven't found a good game since then. All games have only been okayish or worse.

15. [D]rc Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I don't think its dying i just bought this game and love it....some how i find this game play engine much better than baldur's gate funny my friends called me crazy when i said that....

16. Archdruid_Iselore Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] i think the icewind drowning popularity is cause by not expanding.and also the new 3d games that come up(nwn,warcraft3).i think this is the last icewind title(icewind 2). :( :(

icewind dale help beginners to understand d&d story better because it has fast storyline unlike BG..not all players is a d&d storyline fans..the world of d&d is big(faerun).. not all players are interested in that long storyyy.. icewind are centered only in one region of faerun so others can understand the story of the world of d&d bit by bit.. (a booster for potential fans) :p :p

icewind is like playing a d&d session with friends..you create a party..then fight evil.

the reason i telling this because many of you compare icewind to baldurs gate..(bg is always better)..i think the bottom line is "if you like bg maybe you are a d&d freak"..and if you like icewind dale..maybe your just a pc gamer who like discover new games". but i think icewind is better!!icewind rockz! :D :D

17. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] [D]rc, your friends probably called you crazy, because IWD2 and BG1/II run on the same engine; the Infinity Engine. :p

18. Rotku

Archdruid, do you know how many d&d worlds there are. Fearun isn't the only one.
    And you can't compare a computer game to PnP D&D, it's just not right.

Nor would I say that IWD has a fast storyline. I found it's story line so basic, slow, and boring (almost non-exsistan) that I haven't been able to actully finish the game.

The only thing I find good about IWD2 is the character creation, which I think most people will agree with.

Ummm, slightly off topic, sorry...

19. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Of course you love it, it's the first time you're playing it. Just wait until you've finished it and go for it the second time. It will be exactly the same as the first time you played it. Why? Because the story is so linear. More subquests would do it.

20. Archdruid_Iselore Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] sorry im only played the d&d games once(with real life DM).my DM told me that faerun is the name of the planet d&d revolve about.

about the story of icewind dale..the story is okay for me,just like i said the icewind plot is just encourage newbies and hack and slash fan to play d&d ruled game.not all are bg story fans.not all are interested in d&d storyline.but some pc gamers want d&d rules.(e.g. tired of playing japanese rpg's).

im a japanese rpg fan.when i once heard bg2 shadow of amn rpg i played it once.i got shocked.i didnt know the story.it feels that im in the middle of something.therefore,bg is not newbie friendly.icewind dale change that so others can play d&d rules rpg then switch to bg.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.