1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Shaengarne Bridge

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Spellbound, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I've tried replaying this piece a couple of times with different strategies, some with rest, some not -- to see if I could get different results. But each time, we win the battle ok -- but the bridge ends up severly damaged. Has anyone succeeded in having a different outcome on this?

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think that is the most common outcome. You'd have to really blast through the first wave of enemies really quick in order to nail the ogres before they did significant damage to the brigde.

I do know some people who failed to save the bridge at all. Never heard of anyone ending up with an undamaged bridge.

3. Spellbound

Yeah...I kind of figured that. I was trying to go faster and faster, to see if I could get there before they did the damage, heh. Without any speed potions or spells, it's kind of impossible, I think. Thanks!

[ September 08, 2002, 15:12: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Take a peek here - maybe some tips on how to do the battle at the Bridge.

[ September 08, 2002, 21:08: Message edited by: Modjahed ]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  5. Spellbound

Aahh! Very nice... thank you!

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How do you know how damaged the bridge is? I killed everything (headed for the bridge first as soon as I could and mopped up the rest after). All I know is I was successful in saving the bridge. AFAIK, I never got any notification about how damaged the bridge was...

7. Pretend Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Same as Blackthorne TA.. I was not that fast in clearing the ogres destroying the bridge, but I didnt see anyone saying that it would have been badly damaged.

8. Spellbound

Indeed, there was nothing formal stating that the bridge was "badly damaged". I just went by sight, assuming that a bridge with a huge hole in it, that was uncrossable, would be considered "badly damaged." :heh:

[ September 23, 2002, 17:18: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, then I guess I did pretty well since I saw no visible damage...

I webbed the first group of monsters right where you appear, and everyone concentrated bow/crossbow fire on one monster at a time until they were all dead.

I then headed for the bridge and ignored most of the missile shooters, just took out any melee monsters. Concentrated on the mage after I told her she was just stalling for time (got a bag of holding from her loot too), then concentrated on each of the ogres individually to kill them as quickly as possible.

Mopped up the rest of the map afterwards.

[ September 23, 2002, 17:21: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

10. Spellbound

Very cool! You did, indeed, save the bridge. I thought I had moved fairly quickly to take care of that mage, but I did dally a little, taking out some of the archers and ogres. That may have made the difference. I didn't go back and redo it....next time through I'll see if I can get it right.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Wow, I'm currently on this map, and I must say, what an adrenaline rush! Methinks I like, really like this game :evil: . I took out the first group using sleep and combat. Healed my chars, while my monk hid and started ahead in the direction of the bridge. Her hide is good enough she made it all the way to Xuki, who talks to you even if you are invisible. Luckily my monk is too wise to fall for her ruse. And the battle is on.

I had my monk attack Xuki immediately. By then the rest of the party just plows on through, ignoring all enemies until it gets to the ogres. I had my fighter cleric break off and help my monk finish off Xuki. My bard turned around cast sleep again at the orc archers who had ammassed to the west. Bingo, nite nite little orcies ;) . In the meantime everyone else plays pile on the ogre. Snake and leopard start to get in the way. Cleric/Ranger successfully charms the leopard with animal empathy. Wham bam, Xuki and one ogre are down. Pile on the other ogre, and then take out Bugbear and Malarite and then snake. Lastly finish off the sleeping orcs. The bridge still looks fine to me. Now I just have to clear the map because I scouted to the west and there are some more bugbears, orc archers, and harpies.

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i summoned some monsters to keep the enemies busy while i rushed my party to the bridge. the summoned ones didn't last long but enough to for me to save the bridge. by the way keep right when going to the bridge, this would keep the monsters that are stationed at the west side from joining in the battle.

13. {LDU}stealth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I summoned monsters from the animate dead scroll and got a few bone golems which can take alot of dammage. They just stood there taking hits from the first group of monsters while I rushed all of my characters to the back of the bridge. I had my tanks keep any melee guys away while my mage and archers took out the ogres and then Xuki and then everyone just killed anyone they could get to. I lost one character but I had already tried it a few times and could not be bothered doing it again, I just reserected him at a temple.

I love Raise Dead.

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I've saved the bridge as well. I simply ran towards the bridge and while my 2 archers put arrows into the mage, my 4 tanks were taking out the ogres. Then mop up the rest. :) A

I always take out the threat most lethal to the big picture first. The random enemies in the area are merely time consuming, time which you can't spend. So ignore them.

15. HeartOfDarkness Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

What I did to save the bridge was use my two sorceresses to charm the orcs and have them fight each other while my two fighters were running towards the ogres the rogue was acting as decoy for enemy fire (i noticed that if a rogue gets too close on an enemy's back side and especially if he scores a sneak attack they always concentrate on him) and my bard was generally singing and trying to close in on the archers (who try to flee when someone tries to close in on them)

by the way in heart of fury this is a MUCH easier battle

16. Bailey12345 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Again, old post im replying to, but i wanted to know, does it actually make a difference to te course of the game if the bridge is destroyed or not?

17. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Not really, you get less XP if you don't save the bridge though.

18. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You´ll get less xp indeed.

19. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    But because of the dynamic exsperience system, failing that quest won't matter at all in the long run.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.