1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Summoning spells

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Khazraj, Sep 28, 2002.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] The various summoning spells seem to get better as the caster level increases, at least with Animate Dead (my favourite ;) ).

Does anyone have an even partial list of the possible summons for the summoning spells?

BTW I hate the Conjure Elemental Spells, they are even more useless than in BG2! Have to be protected from evil..... (I do use it though....)

Thanks

[ November 04, 2002, 22:59: Message edited by: Extremist ]

2. Kovsky Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

the spell summon monster (I, II... IX) does not get better while you increase in lvl, animate dead does. I do not have a list, but my 15th cleric summons only barrow wight (very powerful one).

3. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The Animate Dead is the only summoning spell that increases by level of the caster, which it actually shouldn't do according to p&p rules. It will be somewhat reduced in power in the upcoming patch, due to widespread complaints that it scales up too fast.

I've summoned the following things playing on normal:

Boneguards: Normal/Greater/Elite
    Cold Bones:
    Chosen Zombies
    Poison Zombies
    Drowned Dead: Regular and Greater
    Mummy Kings
    Barrow Wights

4. giridion Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

9th level spell "gate" summons forth a gorgon, you have to be protected from evil but it's the strongest summon in the game!!!

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

bah! Wizards and their silly gates can bite me. I'll take the 9th level druid summons "Elemental Legion" over a spineless denizen of the nether realms any day of the weak.

Elemental Legion summons four 16 HD elementals, one of each type. Much better than a lame demon.

6. Scott Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree that the Elemental Legion is a show stopper. I'm at the end of chapter one in HoF mode and I've never even seen one of the Legion killed by foes. They form a massive wall wich enemies cannot get past, allowing my party to lay waste with area effect spells (which never seem to kill the Legion, either), and range weapons. Also, the legion was invaluable when dealing with Isair and Madae. They surrounded Madae (even though they couldn't hurt her, she was trapped by their bodies), allowing me to beat on Isair at my lesiure.
    The other spell that is totally underrated is "Giant Vermin." I first thought this spell was a waste, until about 10th level. Now I'm summoning huge beetles that act as giant walls for me to hide behind.
    Lastly, Raise undead has been neutered by the patch. The best I can hope for with my 18th level Sorcerer is a Greater Boneguard.

7. Heliosis Gems: 1/31

I thought Raise dead was a healing spell? Raise Undead? Greater Boneguards and those foul smelling festering drowned dead are the best 'dead' as far as I can see. Shadow monsters and greater shadow summonings get better with experience. My sorcerer summons great feyrs or better still, firey remoraz that devour my enemies. How does one change to HOF mode.

8. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Change to HOF mode from the configuration program. Remember though that if you ever save a game in HOF mode, even if you switch it off that saved game will still be in HOF, minus the xp for HOF mode, and you will die...quickly.

9. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Animate Dead is the best! When you're really high in level you get an Appocoliptic Boneguard! I'm not sure about the Barrow wights though, what level? By the way, Animate Dead is no the only summoning spell which gets better as you do, the shadow summonings get better aswell.

10. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

if you patched the game, you wouldn't get apocalyptic boneguard anymore. but still animate undead is the best summon spell, because undead cannot be charmed and dominate (unless dominate undead), they cannot be hurt by horrid wilting, they are immue to wail of banshee, plus animate undead is a low level spell (for cleric).

[ November 10, 2002, 13:54: Message edited by: teekc ]

11. Melestav Gems: 1/31

Running a sorc in HoF I use summons constantly, I took lv 1 summon monster, lv 2 summon monster, lv 5 animate dead and MUCH later the shadow, lv 7 greater shadow and much later the demon, lv 8 demon. LV's might be off, can't find game manual.

With a patched game animate dead is still useable when you get it, but later on the basic shadow guys work quite well, they scale to level and at lv 27 are quite good. Lv 7 Greater shadow uses the same summon table as summon monster IX, remorhaz-greater feyr-greater werewolf-frost giant, they have less HP but the remorhaz and giant hit VERY hard. I actually still use lv 1 summon monsters as blockers, real quick cast for a 100hp+ wall that hits for 10 heh.

I also have a druid with ele legion and natures ally 7-8 (which make eles occasionally)and a cleric with gate and summon IX. The only thing i'd mention is that later in the game (CH 5-6) enemy clerics get nasty and start casting area effect protection from evil, which nullifies both the demons and elementals, which promptly attack each other.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.