1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What was your most difficult battle?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Grey Ghost, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

What battle, or group of enemies, gave you the most trouble?

I had the worst luck with the drow assassins in the underdark by Malavon's camp. I reloaded twice because they killed my Paladin before I realized that they were causing damage each time I hit with a melee weapon. Even after I switched all my characters to range weapons they still did a number on me.

The hardest fight I had, IMHO, was with the six Lost Followers. The first time I reloaded after they killed two of my characters. I think I reload 3 times before I won, and even then I had 2 of them chasing my poor Paladin who was running and drinking potions as fast as she could (not very Paladin like-I know) while the rest of my crew finished off the followers...

What battles gave everyone else a reload or two???

2. Kovsky Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

one reload or two? lol

what about 5 or 6?
    i can't exactly remember, but that fight in underground cost me at least 5 reloads.
    the 1st big battle too, in palisade.
    what else? hmmmm...
    the 3rd floor of severe hand was also quite hard.

3. Amazing_Ronaldo Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am playing two groups alternating between the two, and the most difficult battle so far for me was the one outside the Goblin Fortress where the goblin drummer was summoning Wrog Riders and I already had enough of Goblins and the game threw at me 2 additional goblin shaman as well as the two orc spellcasters. Damn Unholy Blight!!! I got half the group killed three times by those pains in the arses. They kept showing up after I was already hemmed in by all the worg riders and other creatures, and showed up twice just out of my sight so I didn't know where they were. So I finally redid my memorized spells and cast invisiblity on my rogue and sat him about where I thought they would appear. When they did show up, I attacked and killed one and then tied up the other in melee so it couldn't cast that damn spell. Boy did that one suck!!

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Before working out the key killing Izbelah was very hard due to the time limit.

I also found the Immolation Chamber to be nigh impossible without a monk.

5. Vehementi Gems: 1/31

Playing a solo sorc, I had to cheat in the sorcery chamber. Hadn't learned any protection spells, was impossible to pass :(

Funny - I finger of death'd Izbelah and that was the end of it :)

I remember having to reload once during the attack on the palisade, then I just raped everything when I noticed how badass the snow ring spell is.

Right now I'm stuck on the last battle, so I guess that's the hardest...

But aside from that, the first extremely tough battle for me was the first time you meet the Slayer Knights of Zhim or whatever. Holy god. Immune to almost everything... ended up just doing malison and symbol of hopelessness (best spell in the game) till they stopped, then killing them with horrid wilting, skull trap (second best spell in the game), or my staff.

At one point I had to take on 6 of the slayer knights as well as one of the priests who casts Blasphemy... that = insta death :) Anyway I used that magic eye thing to protect me from the blasphemy and then raped them all again...

-V

6. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Thinking about it, Iyachtu Xvim was hard due to the fact that it took so long, about 5 mins at least!

Tactics, the most difficult battle I had was with the Plains of Slaughter. The orcs were hard to kill there, especially with their Shaman friend.

Saablic Tan and co were also hard. This was more tactics and magic.

BTW barbarians are dumb.

7. CauseMIN Gems: 1/31

I guess my hardest fight yet was the one from chapter's five end , the one with the lich... He kept casting invisibility and i didn't have See Invisibility... he had alot of HP and also a very high level... I counted about 7 Mordenkainen's Force Missiles wich means he was at least level 25... pretty hard fight , took me a few minutes.

8. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I vote for M'Darfein the lich too. I was literally screaming at the PC when he cast improved invisibility, causing my poor dog to slink under the bed. :( Definitely the Kangaxx of IWD II. The second toughest, for me, was the hook horrors in the river caves. I have some very weak party members and when the hook horrors spawned behind them I'd lose half my party before I could kill one of them! Finally I found a couple of places on the map where I could bottleneck them and that made the difference; no further problems.

Izbelah and the Underdark assassins were not a problem for me, mainly because because they are both particularly vulnerable to my favorite tactical spell- Otiluke's resilient sphere! Izbelah was encapsulated the minute I got off the boat, giving me time to get my party members potioned up, Blessed, and holding large weapons over her head the minute the spell wore off. I killed her in about 3 seconds real-time: when I read other people's accounts of the fight later I realised just how lucky I was. The underdark assassins all immediately attacked my duergar monk/sorcerer (one of those really weak party members I mentioned...), whom I then sealed in a sphere. While the assassins hacked endlessly at the impregnable sphere, I backed the rest of the party away and bombed them with range spells.

9. Upidstay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Isair and Madae in the final battle. You hafta fight them TWICE, after all of your (edited for content)spells and potions have worn off, and you can't even (edited for content) rest!!!!!!! I finally ended up with only my rogue left alive out of 6 characters. He was Improved Invisibilty'd and just kinda sat off to the side sniping with his crossbow, running away quickly whenever anybody got to close. But hey, even an ugly victory is still a victory!!

10. Leonidas Gems: 1/31

Hello!

The most difficult battle is probably HoF battle square in Ice temple in Chapter 2. Try it without Improved invisibility. Death guaranteed in 10 seconds, no less.

Otherwise so far my BY FAR the most difficult battle was with Iyachtu Xvim in Severed Hand in HoF mode(I almost gave up, thanks to someone for Power word blind :) , so I wonder how much more difficult it can become(I mean the last battle here in HoF mode hehheh).

-- Leonidas

11. Zariakus Gems: 1/31

I guess I would have said the same, the battle square in the Ice temple ch2

i got quite high without having to reload but it ended quite fast after that.........

12. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

With the exception of the final battle I would say the Orcs outside the Fortress was quite difficult.
    Since the party was low level and the battle required a large amount of tactics and thinking to get rid of the war drums before reinforcements were called.

13. Lord Gunterius Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] DonĀ“t know why- but both the Final Battle (well.. only 2 chars survived and the blasphemy spell should be BANNED!) and the fight with Xvim (no casualities) took me ZERO reloads, perhaps because I was rather well prepared (buffed up et al., blunt weapons equipped for Xvim ).
    Most difficult was the early fortress levels (the one with the wardrums, my poor party was wiped out completely several times), and the fight in the Kuldahar graveyard when the sword (the holy mediocrity) appears and with it a bunch of undead-summoning, spell-hurling high-level ***** mages.
    (took me at least three reloads)
    And the hook horror dungeon as well.. my poor mage ;-(

Riiken likes this.
  14. dkamnitzer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I haven't finished yet, but the battle I am having difficulty with, and hence is the worst battle I've come up against is the last trial in the monk monastary. I can, so far, only kill one monk, before the flame strikes and other monk kill me. Also, it seems that the pathing is messing up on that screen also, because when I tell my character to go somewhere, he stops for a second, and goes the wrong direction, or doesn't move at all. So I think this is the hardest fight I've been up against.

15. Sixmoons Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Well, the immolation chamber was difficult until I used my sorc to just cast shadows and monsters to do the dirty work. I also found that Dragon Guardian hard to beat, esp since half my party consistently paniced and ran away. The toughest battle for me was actually inthe Chult dungeon after I opened 4 chests in one of the northern rooms. It seemed like half the dungeon's inhabitants all came up to greet me ! Damn I was ragged after that fight.

16. ffthace Gems: 1/31

I'm only in Chapter 3, but my two hardest fights were the bridge in chapter 1, and the will o wisps in chapter 3. The bridge was really hard, because I could never kill the ogres fast enough. Finally, I had to cast invisibility on my paladin so that he started up there while the rest of my group tried to keep the rest of the enemies occupied in melee. With the will o wisps, I got lucky. My sorc. cast improved invisibility on everyone but my ashimar (sp?) paladin and my cleric. The cleric had the feat for resisting electricity so those 2 just took the brunt of the attack. It was still really hard since my Improved invisibility wore off before they died, and the buggers DON'T DIE!

17. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In the immolation chamber I had exactly the same problems as dkannitzer. Unfortunately my sorcerers didnt have any good summoning spells. This was a very frustrating part.

Battles Squares is also frustrating but doable with a lot of reloads.

Hook horrors were ok once I knew where they were coming from.

The four iron golems guarding the tomb were another matter after one try where I killed one, I just gave up - the cloudkill thing is just too annoying.

Ive seen loads of people say the first chapter is hardest but I have found that game started easy but is now starting to get hard (middle of chapter 4).

18. Scott Gems: 1/31

I'm playing in HoF mode. The battles around the Wandering Villiage and Fell Wood are ridiculous. The pack of wolves that attack outside the villiage are...beyond description. I had to retreat to the Ice Wall 6 or 7 times to heal and buff up. That was easily my most difficult battle yet, in regular or HoF mode. There are too many wolves and they do about 40hps of damage each hit. With six hitting one character, you are swiss cheese in literally three seconds. I was buffed with mass haste, holy aura, aura of vitality, executioner's eyes, and everyone had stone or barkskin on. (All AC's in the mid thirties!!) I summoned the elemental legion, and a couple of undead, but the wolves just ran right around them to get to my bleeding characters. It was impossible to even get spells off becuase the wolves move fast as heck.
    Then the battle outside the tent of the evil sorceress is another nightmare. You've got to fight about 10-15 Greater Ice Trolls including a shaman or two, plus a sorceress, and these trolls smack you for about 40-50 pts each.
    I'm about to fight the Willow-the-Wisps in the heart of Fell Wood and I have a feeling I won't be able to win.
    I have loved HoF up until now, but these battles are simply too hard.

19. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

A sorcerer alone, extremely well protected, with 8-10 sunfire and 4-6 Malavon's Rage will take out any number of monsters. Add a damaging shield if necessary (like fire shield). The rest of the party (if any) can shoot arrows and bolts, or just stay out of sight in case of flank attacks.

Although I haven't played HoF, I'd say using such a tactic would be much easier in the toughest battles, regardless of the number of enemies, than going in with all your party.
    The only problem is that your sorcerer can be disabled, even with very high saves, if she rolls a 1, and it does happen. So sometimes total immunity to mind spells is absolutely necessary, and there are spells for that (except stunning).

20. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Quint,

I hate to tell you this Quint but I expect that you are not quite accurate on this strategy. In HoF they know where you are. Fighting the orcs near Emma Moonblade I had the whole party invis and moved off to one side. The sorcerer who was the only one who could do anything began summons and undead. They swarmed her and were shooting like mad. I had to Otiluke her to stop her dying while my summons ripped the enemies. I know now the true value of that sphere! I felt like giving up sometimes, but only invisibility can save you. Really. There is no way to get AC or protections high enough to outdo the HoF BABs. They are ridiculously high. We need BG2's Absolute Immunity or Improved Mantle to survive these ones...

Besides, even the chunky 30d6 Delayed Blast Fireball wont kill orcs outright, just badly damaged if lucky. You gotta have tons of magic to knock 'em down, and for me summons and invis is the only sane way to go...

Killing Guthma and company was hard...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.