1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Scripts

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Setzer, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Setzer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've played BG, BG2 & IWD and have not once used scripts. So, last night I'm playing IWD2 and decided I'd give them a shot. I assigned all but my fighter/barbarian a script and headed into battle. My Sorcerer knows nothing but offensive spells so his script was 'Combat Caster', My Rogue/Wizard uses a long bow so I had him set on Range-Agressive and finally I set my Cleric to the self-buff script which basically tells the Cleric to buff himself and head into battle. They seemed to do ok as they dismantled a few bugbears. I still had to control some of the action as my Rogue/Wizard has the cc spells, my cleric wasn't healing unless commanded to and I still had to tell my fighter which mob to attack.

Don't know if I'll continue to use Scripts or not. I sometimes hate having to constantly press the space bar to pause the action, click a spell for my caster to use, unpause and then repeat this action every round. It was nice to just kick back and watch my Sorcerer nuke everything w/o me doing a thing. Then again I may run into a situation where I'll be, "Oh Sh-t, don't cast that!!!". lol

Anyways, I just wondered what you all thought of Scripts and do you use them?

[ August 18, 2004, 20:02: Message edited by: Setzer ]

2. Paine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Scripts are awful in this game. I just started playing, and learned very quickly not to rely on them. My people almost never did what they were supposed to. I had my paladin, the party's tank, on the Guardian script for emergency laying on of hands. But for some reason she kept switching to her crossbow (everyone in my party has a ranged weapon to fall back on just in case). Ditto with my other melee fighters, which led the mobs straight to my mage and bard (oy).

I ended up dropping to a 5 person party and being my old pause fiend BG2 self. It makes life so much easier.

3. Setzer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

They have a file over in the Editors & Hacks section of IWD2 called Modified Scripts. I downloaded and used that. I didn't experience any of the problems you did, then again I only had scripts for 3 of my characters. My Sorcerer nuked, my Rogue/Wiz used his bow and my Cleric buffed and tanked.

I'll see how it works in larger battles. My test was on just a couple of bugbears.

4. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I hate the scripts and don't use them. I've seen on other websites (maybe this one as well) where people have scripts available for download. I'd rather micro-manage my party of 4, that way I know what they are doing.

5. Soren Vracian Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've only used them once or twice, and both times ended in disaster. Fighter would run off and pull a huge number of monsters, my cleric just sat there and died, and my sorcerer nuked the party with fireballs.... So.... Stupid...

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The scripts are never that good in this game.
    I assigned the 'Fighter Aggressive' script to my barbarian and he would just sit at the back using the Xbow instead of chasing down enemies with his Axe.

If you want to use scripts then get the small script modification here which ensures that the charecter does not automatically switch to the "best" weapons.

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I hate the scripts in this sort of games, because I prefer total control. I usually try to lure enemies out group by group and I don't want my warrior chasing some moral failure orc around the map and thus alerting every group of enemies.
    I never tried any of the spellcaster scripts, because I really want to control what they are casting. I should be able to decide what spells are best in a situation much better than some computer script.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.