1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Whoa! Try picking the pockets of the priests in the tent (Prologue)!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Klorox, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

These were some difficult pockets to pick, but man they had some good scrolls!

2. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Y'know, Klorox, your pickpocketing success reminds me of one really weird bit about this game (and other IWD/BG games): the disconnect between equipment that a person wields, carries, and sells. If you kill a shopkeeper his inventory disappears into the aether; if you swat a fighter then chances are that sword he was whacking you with a few moments prior has mysteriously vanished. And pickpocketing sometimes seems unrelated to what the character actually should be carrying.

Not that I want to encourage attacking shopkeepers, but at least in games like Fallout the grocers didn't have access to a death-sparked pocket plane that vacuumed up their goods on expiration.

Remember to pickpocket the dying patient, too!

3. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

And some guy (might be called ned cause of his item but hes in the bottom corner) in the gallaway trading post. He is the ONLY reason i took 20 ranks in pickpocket since he has one of the BEST items for HoF mode. But even in normal mode its an ok item to have at the start. But anyway pickpocket him :p .

Btw the items you can pickpocket are the same as the ones you get if you killed someone arent they.

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Not nessesarily. Not to mention that if you do kill these buggers, you might find yourself having to fight every NPC out there leading to game-end.

5. Goon66 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I realise that hence bothering to pickpocket but i was referring to what Grey magistrate said about the pickpocketed items being unrelated to what they SHOULD be carrying

6. Shrikant

Even then. It is not always necesary that the special item you got from pickpocketing would become available on their dead bodies. IWD was specially bad for this. The gold, scrolls, gems or unique item might not be a part of their inventory, since these are often randomised to some extent.

If that were not the case, just Ctrl-Y them. :grin:

By the way, I agree that the dead shopkeeper's vanishing inventory scinario is wacked :nuts:

7. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

are there any other people of note whos pockets we should pick?

btw, i just found out that talking to fiddlebender with a gnome gets you some bonus potions.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I can't remember if it's the elf lady who sells scrolls, or her husband (the Mayor?) in the Prologue, but one of them has a Ring of Protection +1.

9. Shrikant

If you don't have to kill it, pickpocket it. :grin: I learnt that lesson in BG II and follow it ever since. Still, it is hard if you don't have max Dex and pick pocket skills. Try having Luck cast on you to improve your chances.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.