1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

An idea about tweaking healing potions [and other misc. things -dmc]

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tal Rasha, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

[​IMG] I have an idea about tweaking the healing potions in IWD2.

You remember how a healing potion in Diablo2 works, right? It doesn't heal your HP instantly but gradually. I would like to make healing potions in IWD2 work like that. You may say we have potion of regeneration in IWD2 already. Right, but potion of regeneration has a long duartion and little amount per round. I want to make the healing potion one round duration, at first it will heal the most amount, and then gradually heal less amount with seconds pass. Because of the non-instant, I will increase the total healing amount(maybe double).

Is this a good idea? :p

[ December 05, 2006, 15:55: Message edited by: dmc ]

2. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It can be done by a few ways.
    I am looking at NearInfinity for this, so you may have to look into the offsets if you use WEIDU...

The best way is to use the "Regeneration" effect (98). There are a number of fields that you need for this: Value, Type and Duration (other fields, like probability also need to be filled in).
    The Type field would be set to 2 (HP regeneration per second) - the Value being how many HP. I'm not sure about the duration, but I am guessing it should be 6 (1 round = 6 seconds).

Your potions will need 2 effects - the initial "Current HP Bonus" (effect 17), and whatever regeneration method you use (the one I described above, or by creating a spell and using it's effects).

3. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

I know how to do it, thanks all the same. But my question is whether this idea is good or bad.

4. el M Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i like the potions the way there are now - diablo style rejuvenation potions :D .

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I guess this will make the game harder, timing will be more important when drinking potions, so...

Go for it! ;)

6. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I really don't want to deal with even more powerful healing potion spam by enemies in chapter 1 (tactics mod).

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So Tal Rasha, are you planing to add this little nasty tweak to your Tactics4IWD2 mod's next upgrade? Oh, please, pleas make it Weidu and component-managable, if it is not too much trouble for you!

8. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

OK, I think I may make it an optional component.
    Does any one of you have any cool idea?

9. el M Gems: 3/31

would it be to hard to make all spell description list their durations in rounds ?

10. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

All that requires is a lot of rewriting of dialog.tlk with Near Infinity. It's not hard to convert from all the weird measuring units to rounds...

1 round=6 seconds
    1 minute=1 turn=10 rounds
    1 hour=60 minutes
    1 day=24 hours

11. el M Gems: 3/31

some self/party buffing scripts wold be nice

long duration/short duration buffs.

i'm working on some scripts that will ake my life easier and the game 10 times more enjoyable - not having to manualy cast 40 buffs after rest and again as they expire.

12. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

That's a good idea!

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Can you put the monk avatar for humans back? I know there is a method of doing it manually, but it is rather awkward. If you can do it via the mod, it will be cool! Monk avatars with kick attacks (like in BG2) are brilliant! IWD2 really pisses me off, I can not stand the ugly pose of the monk here:a nude fighter who punches and punches and so on....Ofcourse, you can only do this for human/half-orc and (maybe) half-elf monks, smaller races will still have to use fighter avatar. :(

14. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

The file name of a character animation BAM is made of 7 characters. The 7th character defines the attacking detail:
    1: 1-handed overhead
    2: 2-handed overhead
    3: 1-handed backslash
    4: 2-handed backslash
    5: 1-handed thrust
    6: 2-handed thrust

2,4,6 are used for 2-handed weapons. In bg2, monks can not use any weapon, so they used kick animation to replace the 2-handed animation. But in IWD2, monks can use any weapon including 2-handed weapons, so 2,4,6 can not be replaced. Since so, there are little difference between monk avatar and fighter avatar, they used the same avatar.
    And even if you change the animation ID to MONK_MALE_HUMAN / MONK_FEMALE_HUMAN, the avatar won't use kicking attack.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Okey dokey, monks have to suck in IWD2 still, then. Thanks for your time!

16. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

Well, though I can't make your PC monks attack like in BG2, I have found a way to make the NPC monks attack like in BG2. That is, I will let the NPC monks use an undroppable invisible 2-handed staff, which will make them attack like in BG2. ;)

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

It is at least better then nothing. Thanks! When will the new version be ready? Aaaand, will you make it Weidu? Please, please, please!

On second thought, a certain imprisoned monk in the final chapter uses robed cowled wizard or priest of Oghma avatars from BG2...how ugly. :p

18. Tal Rasha

Tal Rasha Eye of Vecna

Yes, next version will be Weidu, but it will be months later. Because I have made a dicision to solo the mod and give some more scrolls and xp. I will make sure a solo PC will reach level 30 at the end of the game, if he/she do most of the tasks.

And I think the cowled wizard avatar fits an aged monk quite well.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

If you say so... :p

Wait, can you also fix the deadly touch spells of clerics? Like Slay Living, Harm, Destruction? They have incorrect, very low DCs IIRC, we have discussed before. You did a good job at fixing the BBoD, but these spells need to be fixed as well. Also, there are other mage touch spells too:Chill touch, ghoul touch, lich touch, darts of bone. Also cleric inflict type spells, slay living, harm and the ultimate destruction. A significant but balanced increase in their DCs will be welcome!

But can you enable them to get bonuses from high WIS and spell focuses? They will be very powerful then. A 30 WIS cleric with two spell focus:necromancy will be scary, his destruction spell will require a fortituda save of:10+7+10+4=31! :eek:

If they have to have a fixed DC, then....10+7+4 (considering that the cleric has 18 WIS) a 21 DC is not that bad. Though then it does not gain benefit from necromancy focus, and it sucks...clerics are rather nerfed.

Or, another option can be:make them cast on target spells in touch range, like those back in IWD. In IWD (with the espansion IIRC) clerics cast Slay Living, Harm and Destruction on the target, but at touch range, as if casting a cure x wounds spell on it, no to hit is required, but the victim gets a saving throw. (vs death for slaying, vs spell for harm, and a difficult save vs death at -4 penalty for destruction!)

If you modify these spells like this, then they can, hopefully, benefit from high WIS and spell focuses. But is it really too much trouble for you?

20. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

If you like fixing spells you could also fix the druid spells "call lightning" and "static charge".
    The druid's wisdom modifier doesn't affect the spell's DC. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.