1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Katanas?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Kotka, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Kotka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I love katanas!!!Especially in bg2 katanas were great!I am just starting iwd2 and I was wondering that is there many/good katanas in the game?

2. Cendragon Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Sorry, I am in Chapter IV and I haven't seen any sign or hint of a Katana.

I have the feeling that there aren't any, because a Bastard Sword requires it's own specialization and is considered exotic.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] There are no katanas in the game AFAIK.

4. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Frankly I am so glad that they are not there and the concept that all these swords would require different feats etc, is so dumb. I can imagine 1 vs 2 hands, but wielding a longsword being different from a shortsword... argh! Lameness.

If they had been included in the large sword category then no problem, but also the non-existence of pretend Japanese cum pseudo Chinese "culture" is such a refreshing thing.

This is Faerun after all...

5. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well isnt there a culture on toril that is similar to asia? if so then thats where theyd get katana's from, but since icewind dale is so far north maybe those swords just havent been on a trade caravan's supply list yet.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Short swords are thrusting weapons, longswords are slashing. They are pretty different to wield, so that makes sense to me.

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Rastor, you have a point and I suppose you are right. I was also thinking of halflings. You can actually thrust or slash with either depending on the situation. Let's not get into a debate here, I just find "such preciseness" in a game annoying...

Anyway, I can live with it.

8. Sixmoons Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Personally I only thought Katanas looked cool, but didnt serve much purpose that a scimitar couldnt do. An ambidextrous rogue with a scimitar in each hand looks way cool.

9. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

No katanas? Damn, they have always been my favourite kind of sword, and most of my PC's in BG2 used them. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to use scimitars then.

10. Upidstay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

There is an oriental setting for D+D tabletop game. It was called Kara-Tur and was the setting for the Oriental Adventures campaign.Not sure if it will be around for the 3rd edition rules. It would be pretty far away from Icewind Dale, as the crow flies, but this IS a fantasy game and I suppose anything is possible. I kinda miss katanas myself.

11. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yeah in BG2 there were plenty of katanas, ninja-to's , wachizashis(sp?) and it said in the description that there were all imported from Kara-Tur.

I cant get it why cant be such weapons in IWD2 as well. :(

12. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Because Kara-Tur is very far away from the Icewind Dale high up in the north, on the spine of the world. The big distance would make it somehow unlikely, that in the wild, thinly settled and harsh north some trader shows up to import massess of rare and expensive weapons - only to sell them to primitive barbarians in the wilderness, weapons he could probably sell for a much better price in a wealthy city on his way up north.

:) :roll: :spin: my 2.900th post :roll: :spin:

[ October 29, 2002, 11:46: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

13. DarkExile Gems: 1/31

!!!congratlations!!!

my 6th
    [Please make on-topic posts only - BTA]

[ October 30, 2002, 04:03: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

14. looserboy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Good riddance. Katanas all sucked in BGII, except for the Celestial fury. And there were like 5 different types. Wasazuki, Ninja-to (I don't know how to spell those) and katanas. Scimitars are just better any ways in my opinion.

15. Belwar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I hate katanas beacuse 1) they suck 2) they are ugly and 3) there are too many different types of katanas. Im glad that they left katanas out of Icewind Dale 2.

16. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Actually, there is only one type of katana. Wasazuki and ninja-to fall under scimitars.

i don't mind they have katana or other kind of exotic weapons of not. As long as it make sense and support the story background, it's ok. Different weapons offers different kinds of speed factor, damage types and damage done. If there is no need for katana and others, then why there are so many different kinds of sword in the whole world? Don't you ever wonder why the Arabians only use scimitars? Of course the variation of weapons in turn reflected that each culture has their own ways of fighting. And this is what D&D haven't shown.

Also, the difference of short sword and large sword. Wielding long sword and wielding short sword are just two different things. There is a story i heard about an NBA player (i forget his name). This player is suppose to be very good at shooting mid range basket. There was once someone asked him show his skill but he missed many throws badly. The person was surprised and asked the player for the reason. The player then replied that the basket was X inches shorter then the official NBA one. Then they measured it and found out that the height of the basket was indeed X inches shorter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.