1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

gems and swords

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by dark druid, Jun 15, 2003.

1. dark druid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] are gems just for selling or can i do something else with them(i think not but i want to be sure)
    one more thing, i wanted to know which swords(long small bastard great)is the best

2. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Gems are just for sale. If you are playing with a Paladin go for the long sword(Holy Avenger) I usually have my Rangerx/fighter4 dual wield a bastard sword and a long sword or scimitar.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Gems are a source of cash. That's it. The later you sell them in the game, the more they are worth. But then, that late in the game, you will be finding weapons which are so excellent, there just isn't all that much need to buy them. If you buy weapons from Kuldahar on, you might get some that have nifty little extras to them, but nothing that will just bolster your fighting ability 100%. Hence, I sell gems as soon as possible and use the cash. +1 bullets and arrows, start game, really come in handy when you're low level and can use the Thac0.

Endgame, a two handed weapon (with high strength, mind you) is the best. Lots 'o damage, and by then your level and Thac0 is high enough to actually hit something. Beginning of the game, with low level monsters, you'll do marginally better with dual-wielding.

All that depends on your character, though. More dexterity than strength (like, 18/14), dual-wield the whole game. More strength than dexterity (like 18/14), either one handed or two-handed weapons. Also, it's in everyone's best interest to keep at least one blunt weapon and one slashing/piercing weapon in their inventory. Some things respond better to blunt, and some are a little more vulnerable to mincing.

4. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Just to expand a bit on ejsmith's post, if you are high on dexterity and low on strength, not only are you better off dual-wielding, but you are better off dual-wielding light weapons with the weapon finesse feat.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Short swords only for dual-wielding and high dexterity builds. You put everything in DEX instead of STR, choose weapon finesse, get a ranger level for free dual-wielding without heavy armour one and you're ready to dual 2 short swords without penalties. DEX and heavy armour AC bonuses don't stack (apart from max +1 DEX bonus for full plate), so you don't lose anything.

Longswords and scimitars belong to one cathegory, longswords. The former deal more damage, the latter score critical damage more often.

Bastard swords are supreme damage delivery device among one-handed weapons - and they allow shields. No class gets any proficiency in bastard swords at start.

Two-handed swords - greatest damage, extra range, 1,5 STR modifier. Shields, of course, aren't allowed here.

6. griffin1987 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Something that always confused me was how come we could never be able to use a buckler with say a spear or 2-handed sword? Don't bucklers just tie onto your wrist?

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

:yot:
    Talking about bucklers, do they have any advantage over a small sheild?

8. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

to griffin1987:

Yes some types of defensive devices are mounted to forearm.

We should see bracers as these devices. They provide some defense and they don't hinder movement.

Of course there could be "mounted bucklers". But use bracers instead.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.