1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How long it took to finish normal?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Anakha the Almighty, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I finished the game by 100 days, 21 hours at my first run. As far as I can see, it is a bit "quick". So I decided to post this poll to see if I was in a hurry or others were too slow. :confused:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 19 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How long it took to finish normal? (19 votes.)

How long it took to finish normal? (Choose 1)
    * Less than 100 days - 42% (8)
    * 100 days - 200 days - 47% (9)
    * More than 200 days - 11% (2)

2. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I finished it in 105 days. But the number of in-game days is not a measure of anything meaningful. If you heal all your members before resting, you'll spend less in-game days. If you have sorcerers instead of wizards, or have no spellcasters at all, you'll probably also spend less time resting to refresh spells.

I frequently rested twice in a row on purpose (try to guess why) so this certainly lengthened the in-game time.

3. popbuggy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To encounter enermies?

4. Klonz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have not finished the game s of yet, but I am well over 100 days. What kind of party did you have that made it so fast? :confused:

5. Trypt Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

i used to hate resting when I played icewind dale and baldurs gate 1 and 2, but since have realized that it really makes no difference. I think I must have set the record in icewind dale 1, i refused to rest at all in that game, only when there was serious fatigue, but even then I'd try potions and spells, and even haste, lol. Now I realise that was useless, I am far more liberal with my sleep button. In any case, I am at 97 days with the ritual at the statue of just around the corner.

6. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Popbuggy:
    I sometimes rested twice if my sorcerer didn't have any Eagle's Splendors left. A sorc will get more spells to cast with higher Charisma. Since that spell can last 1hr/level, after level 10 or so you can cast it and then rest 8 hrs and wake up with more spells. :)

7. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Quint, I was wondering that myself. I had a few ideas in mind, but the old Eagle's Splendor trick never crossed my mind. Good call. If I ever play a sorcerer I'll use that handy idea.

115 days my first time through with a party of six. 91 days my second trip with a party of four.

8. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

Haha, my first time through was 105 days with a party of 6 and the second time through was 66 days, 3 hours (as stated on the autosave endofgame) with a party of 4 and no addons:I'm sure that this is not a record, I just don't like to rest for no reason.
    I don't know about HoF though, I have just started ch3 and I am up to 30 days.
    IaaA

[ December 23, 2002, 07:06: Message edited by: IaaA ]

9. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Klonz,

Believe me, my party was not a well-designed one but it is playing style that counts not the party. I simply do not like to rest so I use my all healing spells and even potions to get my party members to full health. Than I rest 8 hours which is enough to rememorize my spells.

Here is my party at first run:

1- Human Chaotic Good Fighter 16/Barbarian 1
    2- Aasimar Lawful Good Paladin of Helm 11/Fighter 5
    3- Half-Elf Neutral Good Morninglord of Lathander 11/Rogue 6
    4- Half-Elf True Neutral Druid 17
    5- Moon Elf Chaotic Neutral Wizard 17
    6- Half-Orc Chaotic Neutral Barbarian 17

Also with my second party, I rest more often but I am faster than the old one. (41 days at ch4 end) But my second party is a really designed one and I make much more progress between rests.
    This is my second party:
    1- Aasimar Lawful Good Paladin of Helm 8/Fighter 4
    2- Shield Dwarf Chaotic Evil Barbarian 8/Fighter 4
    3- Aasimar Neutral Evil Stormlord of Talos 11
    4- Tiefling Chaotic Evil Rogue 8/Wizard 5
    5- Drow Neutral Evil Diviner 11
    6- Human Lawful Neutral Monk of The Old Order 12

I level them up if I need more of their abilities so their level is not balanced. I suggest you to not level up as long as your characters hold themselves and party holds itself. This way, you'll end up with higher level characters which is especially important for your spellcasters.

[ December 23, 2002, 08:41: Message edited by: ANAKHA the ALMIGHTY ]

10. popbuggy Gems: 1/31

I am upto chap4, and my playtime is well over a year now....because I played almost solo hof that's why.

11. Mephisto Gems: 1/31

72 days and 1 hour with my first party
    i really hate sleeping

12. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

I finished ch. 3 of HoF at 42 days. I'm going back to try to do the squares. This is very buggy.
    I think I will start a new topic on this.
    IaaA

13. Mephisto Gems: 1/31

i had a lot of sleep at the squares...
    i just started HoF and i dont even know if ill finish squares, those were pretty boring the first time...

14. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I think 100 days is not that fast... Well it's good to see that I'm in no hurry :D

15. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

I'm at the end of chapter 4 now, I just past 80 days...
    I really don't mind to rest actually. Maybe I'm lazy hehe, but when my party is injured I prefer just hitting the 'Z' key and see my party healed FAST, then cast all my healing spells first.

I know you could be awakened by enemies, but in my experience, It almost never happens to me.

16. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

So I must say that you choose your resting places wisely. Because it almost happens to me. Being awakened by monsters I meant.

17. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

This might be a little off topic but ... it responds to the topic starter.
    Sleeping randomly, you can use this as an XP builder especially for level squatting. Sleeping and killing those monsters are always less tough battles than the battle that you are resting for. This can add a lot of days to your total. I know to do with game logic that you really are trying to rest because you need to rather than want to to get the extra XPs.
    Example: I wanted to sleep in front of the monastery as I was killing off the Yeti. The Yeti that regenerated were Tundra Yeti instead of the ferocious variety and thus, they were worth just under 60% each of the ferocious kind. I view this as free XP as the battles were easy -- always less than 6.
    IaaA

18. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Yes, I see your point. A good idea to get free xp... I like that. :)
    I'm at chamber of magma day 2 by now. So, I can't go to those yetis. Do you know some monsters which give good xp around Dragon's Eye?

19. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

The only thing I can think of is to sleep. However, really, getting good XP is based on your average level. If you keep it low, you get great XP. As you know I restarted hOf because of the black blade of disaster bug: also, I've learned a lot of stuff. I have a party of 6 with my average at 5.5, I was getting about 3-12k per kill. I had to raise my cleric, rogue and paladin to get the 4 fighter levels in (I didn't realize how fast I went up so I didn't do it until level 6, then I had to shut the fighter off at level 10). I just raised my monk to level 28 (I took your advice about the gnome) because I want one level of paladin for a great ring and resistances, one level of rogue for envenom and one level of ranger for dual fighting (after multiclassing out of monk, you cannot go up with him any more). This brings my average level up to 10 (real and a little more with ECL). All of a sudden the battles jumped in difficulty (not too bad though because of my AC) and I'm still getting good XP (6-12k per) and I'll take the multiclass hits at this level because everybody has over 470k XP. I will level up my Sorc for an ECL 32 before I go up to the top for that really hard battle and the rest as I need them. It's really fun doing it this way. BTW this is off topic but since you are the topic generator I thought I would answer your question here.
    Back to topic: I'm on day 5 hOf.

20. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

My second group is at aerie top of war tower. (Day 86, Hour 13)So, this means I'm going for the last battle. Group members are as follows:

ANAKHA the ALMIGHTY
    Aasimar - Paladin of Helm 15/Fighter 4
    STR 16(1) DEX 12 CON 18 INT 3 WIS 16(2) CHA 26(2)
    Hit Points: 291 // AC: 28

ULATH DOOMBRINGER
    Shield Dwarf - Barbarian 16/Fighter 4
    STR 22(4) DEX 14 CON 24(1) INT 3 WIS 12(1) CHA 12(1)
    Hit Points: 392 // AC:33

SEPHRENIA FARSIGHT
    Drow - Diviner 19
    STR 12(2) DEX 22(2) CON 18 INT 22(1) WIS 10 CHA 5
    Hit Points: 164 // AC:27

TALEN SILENTDEATH
    Tiefling - Wizard 9/Rogue 10
    STR 12(2) DEX 29(5) CON 18 INT 20(1) WIS 10 CHA 3(2)
    Hit Points: 184 // AC:37

BEVIER EVILSTORM
    Aasimar - Stormlord of Talos 19
    STR 16 DEX 18 CON 22(1) INT 3 WIS 24(5) CHA 5(-2)
    Hit Points: 278 // AC:28

TYNIAN CLAWFIST
    Human - Monk of the Old Order 20
    STR 17 DEX 18(1) CON 18 INT 3 WIS 26(2) CHA 3
    Hit Points: 252 // AC: 34

There can be some minor mistakes but they are something like this.

BTW, I need some advices on spells for last battle. Especially cleric spells. I had my first cleric MC, so I never cast a cleric spell higher than 6th level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.