1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Black Dragon Guardian - How did you kill it?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Thalin Windsong, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Thalin Windsong Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well this one heck of a battle for me. For a few hours my brother just laughed at me as I cussed and fussed over killing this thing. Finally, after seeing its high spell resistance to most of my Sorc, and wiz spells I changed my attack up. I had been summoning with my cleric of Tempus, Elementals, Greater drowned dead, and Bone gaurds; with my wiz elementals and shadows to no avial. My pally, fighter and thief all had +3,4 weapons but could not punch a hole in him before I was lossing party members and just had him knocked down to badly wounded. So I changed the spells I was using and loaded the Desendegration spell. And just gave it a try. 15 secounds into the fight after reload my wiz let lose with it and the dragon rolled a 1 and failed. I just set there staring at the screen and with mouth open as he disappeared. Talk about lucky.

Thalin

[ October 16, 2002, 23:26: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Esquire Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Well, killing the dragon is one of the the easiest thing in for me so far :D .

1. Ask your sorcerer to cast Improve Invisibility on your fighter/barbarian. As Grey Ghost has told before, try get some REALLY GOOD weapons in the Battle Square, especially Stage 6 (Club of Disruption +5, with a sure-strike potential) and Stage 10 (Short Sword...+5, sure-strike too). Sure-strike weopons ignore armor bonuses and can hit on creatures with magical resistance.

2. Ask the fighter/barbarian to hack the dragon while order others to stand aside (not so near) and enjoy watching the hacking. The stupid dragon will just stand there until its last breath because it can't see the fighter/barbarian.

3. You will get +12 parmanent hit point each (YESS!!!)

[ October 17, 2002, 18:53: Message edited by: Esquire ]

3. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I thought this fight was pretty easy as well. I used my Paladin and Fighter to attack (using Improved Invis) and I summoned some shadows and a greater drowned dead to keep the dragon busy. Then the rest of my party attacked from range with their best missiles and the thing went down pretty quick.

Also, I used improved haste, stoneskin and bull's strength (on my melee group).

Do you really get extra hit points for winning this fight?

Also, can you slaughter all the yuan-ti and still do the dragon fight? or is it one or the other as far as shutting down the portal???

4. Daitaku Gems: 1/31

I had to reload a few times but on top of the summoned creatures, I cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on my paladin he chose as an appetizer and he continued munching on him with no visible results while my fighter hacked him to death, my Sorcerer and Illusionist magic missiled him and my bard played that immunity from fear song. Took me 4-5 reloads but I finally got him.

The bonus is indeed +12 HPs but everyone also a +5 acid immunity except for my paladin/transmuter which only got the HP bonus (perhaps cuz he was still in the sphere or perhaps because he injected himself with that blood thingy in the Drider Alchemy lab).

You do not have to kill any of the yuan-tis if you kill the guardian. In fact you do not have to kill all of the yuan-ti period (only the main baddies at the altar and the kitchen) and you get a message saying you have broken their hold on Kuldahar or something. You could simply exit from the portal without summoning the guardian and be on your way, the main quest completed.However, it is a fun fight :) .

[ October 16, 2002, 20:54: Message edited by: Daitaku ]

5. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If your brother is just laughing at you, are you sure he hasn't messed with the difficulty settings?

6. Esquire Gems: 1/31

You can do both, killing all the yuan-tis and the stupid dragon. I finish off the yuan-tis first though. The reason I'm doing that is for the sake of experience.
    And yes, I'm sure all my party members got a +12HP after the death of the dragon, although only one of them killed the dragon.

7. Thalin Windsong Gems: 1/31

You know I never checked to see if he did change the settings. He was playing it that night so he might have. Will have to ask him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.