1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How to make a good rougex/ranger1

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by tsunami, Jan 9, 2003.

1. tsunami Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How should i make a good rougex/ranger1
    Stats , feats skills etz.Race would be thiefling

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Skills,

Top Priority; Disable Device, Search, Move Silently, Open Locks

Lower Priority; Alchemy - just enough for Envenom Weapon Feat (8), Wilderness Lore?, Pick Pocket, Hide (a Monk or other character may handle this)

Feats,

Envenom Weapon, Weapon Finesse (attack bonus relies on dexterity modifier instead), Dirty Fighting, Improved Critical, Expertise, Improved Evasion, Slippery Mind, Crippling Strike (strength drain on a sneak attack)

Stats,

Dexterity - maxed out
    Intelligence - just enough to get both Expertise Feat, and how many skill points you want to spend each level
    Charisma - not important, minimize them to spend the points elsewhere
    Wisdom - not very important either
    Strength and Constitution - max out if you can.

Hope it helps,

P.S. If you're diligent enough, (I'm assuming your new) you may find a short sword that ignores the armor and shield bonuses of its target. This weapon will easily allow you to indulge in the Expertise feat.

[ January 09, 2003, 22:25: Message edited by: Beren ]

3. {LDU}stealth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Beren I agree with you for most of that except that wisdom is not very important. Wisdom goes to will saves and though it is not the most important statistic it should not go below 10 other wise you will find yourself being charmed, etc, all the time.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorry if you misunderstood me.

With any character, I never let a character go below 10 for his Wisdom for the very reason you described.

That's why I made a point of separating it from Charisma, which I would minimize in order to spend those points on something better.

But since he won't be going to level 4 as a Ranger, there's no need to add anything to Wisdom either.

5. {LDU}stealth Gems: 2/31

Sorry, my fault, when you said not very important either i thought you meant to do the same with it as you did with charisma. Sorry.

6. tsunami Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Beren u could say iam new2 the 3 editon rules but iam in chapter 2 hof. Finisehd the game in a week or so in normal. I have a rouge ranger now 1 ranger 18 rouge i think. He has weapon finess , improved critical, Dirty fightnig dash snake blood slippery mid and improived evation .
    Stats are:
    13 str , 23 dex, 16 con 10 wis 8 char is this good enough?

[We prefer that you spell out words like "you" and "to" instead of using "u" and "2". Read the forum rules for this and other things as well - BTA]

[ January 10, 2003, 17:11: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

7. Beren

Media:
    Tsunami,

Sounds good for normal.

I can't really help you on HofF, because I still have a few reservations about trying it. What I've heard thus far makes it sound more like Diablo than D&D.

8. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31

instead of a ranger1/roguexx, would it be better skill/feat pts-wise to make a ftr4/roguexx instead?

doesnt the ftr levels give you a bonus feat or two that you could use to buy ambidex and dual wield? while also providing decent skill pts to use in rogue skills... but also allowing for weapon specialization in whatever weapons you plan to use while dual wielding?

or perhaps rngr1/rogueX/ftrZ where X adn Z are always one level apart? this would give you more of a tank-like char, with rogue abilities, free ambidex and dual wield, as well as weapon specialization and decent hit pts...

thoughts?

9. {LDU}stealth Gems: 2/31

Krysalyn I agree with you to a point. The only thing I dont agree with is the fighter 4. I think it better to be ranger 1/ rogue 10/ fighterx. Because after level 10 the rougue gains no other special abilities that a fighter does not get (that I know of, please correct me if im wrong), and a fighter gets the extra feats, which helps for all those rogue feats.

10. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31

stealth, the only advantage that I can see to continue to progress in the rogue levels is the extra 1d6 of sneak attack damage gained every 2 levels of rogue...

if this is true, then perhaps it is better to take 4 more levels of rogue and get another 2d6 of sneak attack damage instead of 4 fighter levels and weapon specialization (which, I believe only adds +2 dmg and BAB, correct?)

the fighter levels will add more hit points, though... but the additional skill pts from the rogue levels might offset that, and if you are using your rogue as a scout and an assassin, perhaps extra hit points are not needed...

another option is to fo with rngr3/roguexx/ftr4

this will give you the free ambidex/dual wield, as well as weapon specialization, and extra hit points from the rngr and ftr levels... but it slows down your progression in rogue levels... also, you will have to take the levels in rngr and ftr so that they are always one apart to avoid the 20% exp penalty...

so, out of the following options:

rngr1/roguexx

roguexx/ftr4

rngr3/roguexx/ftr4

which do you all think is the best?

(I realize that it depends on the composition of the rest of the party, so try to evaluate the 3 builds on the basis of skill pts, feats, hit points, and class-specific issues)

11. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Tiefling - Rng 3/Rog X/Ftr 4 - CE
    STR 13 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 16 WIS 10 CHA 1
    Always buff up with "Bull's Strength" or "Champion's Strength". Increase DEX as you level up. Dual wield Long Sword+Brilliant Short Sword +5 and get weapon spec. for both.

12. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] You didn't mentioned INT for your rouge/*

I have another plan (I see that your post is already old - that means your rogue is beyond my plan -> he is "too old" for it):

Rogue 13 / ranger 1
    Rogue 13 / ranger 1 / evoker 2
    Rogue 17 / ranger 6 / evoker 7

STR 12 (+2 from item that I bought)
    DEX 25 (+1 from ring)
    CON 14
    INT 14
    WIS 12
    CHA 6

INT 14 => able to cast level 4 => evoker 7 (1 to remove fear, shield, minor mirror image - mmi is 3+1 round/level wich means it is not so usable on lover evoker level; 2 to buff bull's and cat's - hour/level; 3 to fireball - also level dependent, haste, invisibility sphere; 4 to otiluke's resilient sphere, stoneskin, hope)

Ranger = evoker -1 (to avoid xp penalty)

This leaves rouge on not even level => , e.g. full sneak attack advantege from level (9d6)

It is always good to have a supplement spell caster

I know, that fighter x is better than ranger x but I want to have a ranger ... I love them, but they are somewhat sucked in this cRPG ...

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Weapon Finesse works only with small blades aka short swords unfortunately.

14. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How about a Rogue x/Rnager 1/Fighter 4?

STR:16
    DEX:18
    CON:14
    WIS:8
    INT:14
    CHA:6

15. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31

you will have to choose human or tiefling and make it rogue x ranger 3 fighter 4 so that you dont take a multiclass penalty.

the 4 fighter levels really only gives you access to weapon specialization and a couple extra feats, plus a few extra hit points... depending on what you use your rogue for, it probably wont be worth it, especially since you have to take 2 more levels of ranger to avoid the multiclass penalty...

a better choice might be rogue x ranger 1 barbarian 1 that will give you a few more hit points, faster movement, and rage once a day, with only the sacrifice of one rogue level...

16. chevalier

Media:
    Why not ranger(1)/barbarian(1)/rogue(x)? Barb's accelerated movement + dash and who's going to get you?

At present I have a rogue(2)/ranger(10) human with 14 int who performs extremely well.

Hide, silent moving, search, disable device, wilderness lore. Has some 5 pts in open lock and with his +4 dex bonus it's enough most of time. If not, enter sorcerer with knock.

I made him nearly pure class ranger for similar to rogue class skills - fighter or barbarian levels wouldn't allow high skill levels. However, you may try storing points and make some use of fighter's bonus feats.

17. Rekiller Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm betwen a Rogue x/Fighter 4/Barbarian 1,a Rogue x/Ranger 1/Fighter 4 or a Ranger 1/Barbarian 1/Rogue x to make a new character,
    How do you think about it?, who is the best choose? :confused:

18. chevalier

Media:
    Personally I would advice focusing on the ranger class - the difference between skill maxima is almost nonexistent until high levels and even then it's hardly noticeable. Also, on higher levels you'll have to cast knock from time to time anyway.

My ranger(x)/rogue(2) is 10, 18, 16, 14, 10, 8 and two points for levels added to wisdom. He works perfectly as a 'thief' (stealth, detect, disarm), hardly ever fails anything, even opens locks although he only has 5 sp + 4 dex bonus for that and I didn't expect him to do - I decided to use knock instead as I have two sorcs. His kill ratio is similar to that of the priest (full time tank + smiter) and half the main tank dwarf's and with his loads of hit points he works perfectly as supporting tank.

If you like rogues however, maybe you should only take one ranger and one barbarian level so as to preserve as much as you can as cheaply as you can. Fighter levels will give you WS that won't make much good to you, three bonus feats you can live without and 16 HP you can also live without perfectly. In turn, you'll get low on skills even if you are able to store the points (maxima lowered as well).

Another interesting possibility is taking wizard levels. With the int a wizard needs, you'll have enough sp to max out (by max out I mean the maximum allowed to that multiclass combo) hide, silent moving, search, disable device, concentration and spellcraft. Depending on how you further build such a character he may well become the loremaster of the party (human with 18 int, tiefling with 20 int, drow seems to me a bit too far in ECL to be the loremaster, but I might be wrong). Forget about sorcs, druids etc - not enough stat points to make it do well while the ranger or wizard combo is an extremely potent one.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.