1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Charisma and Turning Undead

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Master of Nuhn, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dare to ask this question only with the following statement in my mind: "Stupid questions are the ones that stay unasked".

What is the effect of Charisma on Turn Undead?

I know that you can Turn Undead a number of times per day equal to 3+Charisma modifier. So with my 16 Charisma cleric I can use the ability 6 times per day.
    But does charisma also count for Turning Power? Turning or disintegrating more HD of undead? All I read was that I have a turning level of 2 (equal to my cleric-level or paladin-level min 2, if I was one). I can't find anything in the manual either and I doubt it works exactly the same as in a PnP 3.5 game...

Thanks.

2. Bronze Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The spell's description says "The higher the cleric's level and charisma are, the greater his or her chance of success is" so I guess that higher charisma makes your turn undead stronger but honestly I don't think I've ever even used Turn Undead once in my game time.

3. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, good! But where did you read that? In the manual? If so, what page?

And I usually turn undead as often as I can. Are there many undead to turn in the game btw? I can't remember I found any when I first played IWD2.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There are not that many earth shattering dangerous undead in the game - although there are some points where enemy mages will start summoning Greater Drowned Dead if you let them.

5. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well, there are pretty nasty Apocalyptic Boneguards in the latter stages of the game -- truly the only undead who will pose any sort of significant threat to a decent party.

But aside from that, the practical uses of Turn Undead are pretty scarce (unless you're evil).

According to the 3rd Edition rules, whenever you use Turn Undead, you roll 2D6 and add your charisma bonus and check the tables to see what HD of Undead you may turn. (If the Cleric's level is at least twice the undead's, he destroys/rebukes it instead).

0 and -; Cleric's Level -4
    1-3; Cleric's Level -3
    4-6; Cleric's Level -2
    7-9; Cleric's Level -1
    10-12; Cleric's Level
    13-15; Cleric's Level +1
    16-18; Cleric's Level +2
    19-21; Cleric's Level +3
    22 and +; Cleric's Level +4

Whether they implemented it that way in IWD2 or not is another thing, however.

6. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Mh... Thanks.

It seems that my Morninglord has little use of his 16 Charisma. Whether they use the rules or not, there are too few undead (or "the living impaired" - nice way to put it, HB :) ) to make it worth the stats and feats.
    Still, the Morninglord makes a good cleric. The 2 extra HD turned on his turn might become useful, but it is no need to make him a true undead-basher (from a powergaming view)

Many thanks for making this clear. Well... the use of turning-rules are still vague, but at least I know there are too few undead to be turned. ;)

7. Bronze Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I got it from the information screen in-game (Character Sheet -> Information -> Classes -> Cleric)

8. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Heh! :) I must have read that a 100 times, but forgot what it said, because it was not exactly the information I was looking for.
    When I am looking for the exact rules, I tend to somehow not see other useful info.

9. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In my kind of game,there´s only one place when Turn Undead comes in handy: the dwarven caves just before the black raven monastery.
    There´s a painless soul trapped in the iron maiden, and if you kill him, the hole dwarf camp turns on you.
    I evade this chamber too many times tills someone told me "try turn undead" and, Voila! the stupid soul turns "speakable" and give me XPs.
    For the normal tretment of undeads, I prefers the weapons that obliterate them(kick their sorry asses back to the grave) or the exorcism like spells.
    But I do miss the BG series type of turn undead( you can destroy a liche or a vampire at high levels).Sadly, in IWD2 the turning cappability seems to be a joke compared to the 2E rules.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.