1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Totemic Druid

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Rewisuk, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Rewisuk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Ok, whats the deal here??
    How come no one likes or uses totemic druids???
    They are better than the normal druid because of their summon spirit animal ablility. I mean, who cares if they cant shapeshift!!! They can summon a bear or whatever and still be there to cast spells!!

c'mon guys show some mercy to the poor druids!!!

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I use the totemic druid, they are cool, and for the same reasons that u like them rewisuk, they can summon the bear and still be there for spells.

3. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

druids are rarely used because normally the main or only healer is a cleric. if i use a druid i want a offensive caster because of their spells, they are more influencers than healers or fighters. so i choose avenger always.

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The only problem with them that I see is that the summoned creatures get wiped out easier and easier as you meet higher level baddies.

I was a big fan of the druid class in DiabloII, so for me it has to be a shapeshifter all the way.

The avenger is good if you take a Druid through BG1 first,as this was you don't lose the 2pts off Str and Dex.

5. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Druids are pretty low on the food chain for a lot of gamers because of all the restrictions. Though I've played them, I'm not a big fan of multi- or dual-classed druids. They progress slow enough as it is without having to divide up their experience.

I've played totemic druids (ok, once) and just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was my mood. I do like Avengers and Shapeshifters.

Summoned creatures are pretty easily eliminated but baddies don't necessarily have to be high level in order to eliminate summoned creatures. There are many spells that aren't very high level that will do this. Death Spell will destroy them outright, regardless of immunities or HP; Cloudkill will wipe out pretty much anything summoned instantly, or force a save with a negative modifier. A couple of well-placed traps will take them out too.

All a matter of preference. The only summoning spells my druids use are any of the insect spells and Call Woodland Beings. There are a few VERY nice summoning spells in ToB, but can't talk about that here.

6. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I like the Totemic - and in the early game his spirit animals are very useful, if you use them the right way... They can take down pretty much any high level fighter you meet because of their immunity to normal weapons... it's not until later the baddies come equipped with +x weapons...

And IMO Insect Plague can mean the difference between defeat and succes in a fight against enemy parties (with spell casters)...

[ July 16, 2003, 19:42: Message edited by: Victor Eremita ]

7. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

@Victor,

Most definitely! The insect spells can definitely tip the scales to your favor. Just remember not to target the spellcasters (if it can be avoided) otherwise it can, and usually does, rebound on you.

8. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

This is IMHO geting a bit off topic, the regular casting spells of a druid (insect plague, etc) are available to a regular druid, and thus are not applicable to arguing for or against the spirit animal thing that Totamic druids get.

Personally I like totemic druids as I dont like shapeshifting too much as you cannot cast spells etc.

9. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Totemic Druids are excellent for overall party strength. I started playing with one. I immediatly took Imoen out of the party and had her wait for me in the room with the painting. My druid cast his summons and kept doing so until the spell duration came up. Essentially you are able to go through the entire Chateu Irenicus without a scatch. Later get Imoen to disarm traps and read scrolls and your charachter will have around 265000 exp . I then picked up Minsc who had 400,000exp . After leaving the dungeon I immediatly went to Arie who had 600,000 exp in each class. Essentially using a Totemic Druid will cause your NPC's to be at much higher levels when you pick them up, which carries through the whole game.

10. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Cool. First, I normally never took druids (stupid Jaheira), until I started to like them more. Preserving the balance of nature, ahh...

Anyway, Totemic is better then Shifter like Cernd. Shifter's cool, but sucks.

11. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I used an Avenger and they kick ass. Especially at level 14, you become unstoppable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.