1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

First post - resurrection and Sorcerer spells

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tadidas, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Agreed. There's something strange if a spellcaster isn't casting spells (and instead is using a crossbow). Get your spellcaster to cast Mirror Image with other buffs (your preference) you'll be a hard target to kill. However, a lot of buffs are useless if you don't have any attacks to kill your enemies while they're wailing on you.

Go for the insta-kill spells such as Cloudkill for early in the game (up to the BRM), Circle of Death for weak hordes of goblins, Finger of Death, and Wail of the Banshee. They're worth it.

Invest only in summoning spells that get better as you become stronger like Greater Shadow Conjuration and Animate Dead.

Finally you'll want to take a look at those nasty offensive spells. Magic Missile is a must (despite the fact that it seems weak), Skull Trap is fun, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, Mordenkainen's Sword, Delayed Blast Fireball, and Meteor Swarm (not the whole list but I've found these to work good).

2. Tadidas Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hehe, he IS casting spells by now. He got a really slow start, as I earlier couldn't figure out why he, as a sorcerer, couldn't cast spells. So I changed him into a wizard, so he's somewhat behind at wizard lvl 5. Just finished off the first chapter, and he has recently been able to cast fireballs. The enemy sorcerers are really fond of the web spell.

3. Vassago Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Tadidas,
    If you get a chance, post your party with their current stats and feats. Maybe we could offer some advice as you advance. Also, there is nothing wrong with a straight-laced party (i.e. non-multiclassers), it's just that most of us here use multiclassing to create more powerful characters. This sometimes gets away from the RP aspect, but everyone pretty much plays it differently. With most RP games, you get what you put into it. The game I'm playing now, I'm using a party of 4 and just entered the caves (where you are heading to). But before I started, I must have recreated my team atleast 4 or 5 times to get them just the way I wanted them. Here is my party:

Davamros Fletcher -- main tank
    Male Shield Dwarf Fighter 4/Paladin of Helm X (no ECL penalty)
    Lawfully Good
    18 14 12 6 10 16
    Long Swords(slashing) & Flails(bludgeoning)
    Skills: Concentration
    Feats: Weapon Specialize in Long Swords & Flails, Dirty Fighting, Heroic Inspiration, Blind Fight, Fiendslayer

Krisaga Tarmikos -- assassin
    Female Tiefling Fighter 4/Rogue X (ECL +1 penalty)
    Lawful Evil
    14 20 14 14 10 6
    Small Blades(piercing), Hammers(bludgeoning)
    Skills: Hide, Pick Pocket, Search, Disarm Device
    Feats: Ambidexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Specialize in Small Blades & Hammers, Dirty Fighting

Brenys Gellantara -- healer/tank
    Female Deep Gnome Cleric Stormlord of Talos X (ECL +3)
    Chaotic Evil
    16 14 10 6 20 8
    Maces(bludgeoning), Bows (piercing)
    Skills: Spellcraft(10), Concentration
    Feats: Discipline, Spell Focus: Evocation, Necromancy & Enchantment, Spell Penetration

Walorin Gladomain -- blaster/talker
    Male Drow Elf Rogue 2/Wizard X (ECL +2)
    True Neutral
    8 16 10 20 6 20
    Crossbows(piercing), Quarterstaff(bludgeoning)
    Skills: Spellcraft(10), Alchemy, Concentration, Knowledge, Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate
    Feats: Armored Arcana (one level), Discipline, Expertise, Spell Penetration, Spell Focus: Evocation & Necromancy

I leveled everyone until they hit level 6. Now I'm trying to squat them as much as I can (meaning I am not leveling them up each time they reach the next level of experience points). I had a very hard time with the bridge fight, but managed to save both supports and slay everyone. Once I got back to Targos, I decided to bump my Wizard up so he could get level 3 spells. Because of my level squatting, he jumped up two levels and is now level 8 while everyone else is 6. The advantage of this is if your total levels (not ECL) divided by the number of party members is low enough, you get more experience. For example, when fighting the three waves of goblins, my party of 4 at level 6 gained 35 xps per regular goblin. In the forest on the way to the Fortress, my party of 4 at level 6 (with the exception of my level 8 Wizard) now nets 37 xps per regular goblin. I know that's not much, but that's just one example of how you can get more xps if you characters are below what the game thinks you should be. Now that I've completely confused you...I'll end my post ;)

P.S. Not to be hijacking your thread, but where do you get Fireball spell for your Wizard? I have been looking for that and Invisibility spell.

4. Tadidas Gems: 2/31

Hehe thanks a lot for that post. No I'm not confused. Actually I couldn't resist to take a look at the JUPP guide, and I found it quite useful (although I won't follow it too much). I will post my stats when I get more time, but in the meantime, a few more questions.

When you type lvl x, I suppose you mean that this is the character you will continue to level up the rest of the game? In that case I understand your second character as I personally find the rogue type to be one of the best. Using sneak attacks and improved evasion almost make the game too easy sometimes.

I understand what you mean by "squatting". I tried that too but I found it tedious and prefer to gain new feats and spells as soon as possible (being impatient). The fireball? Hmm, can't really remember where I found it. Only that I found it before I could use it, so I know it was chapter 1...

I'll get back with some character stats, but just one question for now: What is the best way to kill a crystal golem? They seem to resist all spells, and even my barbarian only does about 4-5 points (with 20-30 resisted) although both my tanks have weapons with magical properties... I don't get it.

Thanks for your support. Have to study a bit now :)

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Crystal Golems take +10 bonus damage from blunt weapons.
    I dont remember them requiring magical weapons to kill them.
    If you dont have maces, flails or quaterstaffs then you can still use slings to kill them.

6. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Yes, that is what it means. I love the Rogue, there is nothing like being a theif in the night.
    Use weapons that cause bludgeoning damage. And yes, they have resistence out the ying yang ;)

7. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

There's actualy a clue on that. In the passage east, leading to the north you find a note on the floor which contains something concerning Aurilites throwing rocks at the precious golems. So, blunt damage vulnerability and absurd spell resistance.

8. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Interesting, I haven't gotten to the Ice Palace yet in my current game but I'll be on the lookout for it.

9. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Blunt weapons is by far the best choice due to Crystal golem's -20 "resistance" against them, but if you absolutely want to get the job done using other types of weapon, just get a +4 weapon and slash/poke away. (They have 20/+4 resistance.)

10. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Don't know of many +4 weapons you can obtain before the Ice Palace, although I think you'll find some once you're there. I believe Emma's Moonblade is +4/5 enchantment, not sure though.

11. Xyfiel Gems: 2/31

Moonblade is +4 but it's damage is magical and it doesn't add str modifiers to damage rolls. Even with a 10 roll with a critical it would only hit 20 damage.
    Perhaps power attack or emotion hope/prayer/recitation/bard song could bring it over.

Seems like a lot of work compared to even haft over head with rapid shot.

You can get the brilliant short sword and icelance from battlesquares, but by then you should have killed most of them.

Maybe Jukka was referring to hof or just importing the items in.

12. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Are you sure that rapid shot works with thrown weapons?
    I always thought you get only 1 attack per round.

13. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Sounds as if you get an extra attack with all ranged weapons except for crossbow, even throwing axes. However, you're still limited to 5 attacks per round. I do like the fact that short swords are considered blunt weapons instead of slashing. That way my Rogue can go to town on the golems from behind while my Paladin keeps their attention away from her.

14. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It does work for thrown weapons, yes. Dont ask me why, it's not really connected to rapid rate of fire as per name of the feat.

How do you mean short swords are blunt instead of slashing?

First of all they're not intended for wide arcs and swinging, but rather as a needle for piercing enemies. So, they're causing piercing kind of damage just as arrows and bolts and such. Being blunt weapons if even more ridiculus. Sure, you can strike with the flat of the blade, but that's practicaly no damage inflicted. You might as well take a club and swing it - you'd certainly cause more damage.

15. Vassago Gems: 5/31

I don't recall the name of the short sword that I have equiped, but it says that the damage type is Blunt, not slashing as I would have thought.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.