1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Spells in ID2?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Ancalìmon, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Sunfire seems pretty good for Soloing as well.

That Armor that the dwarf in the Underdark sells which casts Sunfire whenever hit in melee would be very good too (For a melee class of course, unless you want your sorcerer to have % to fail or invest in armored arcana)

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sunfire is just great regardless.

As you say, great for solo, since it does hurt (a lot!), but excellent for a mage to draw groups in close while mirror imaged, then unleash a couple before casting invis and quietly walking back out....

[ February 04, 2003, 14:11: Message edited by: Viking ]

3. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Disintegrate or Finger of Death. Magic missile and Mordenkainen's Force Missiles are handy too, especially at high levels.

4. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

It's kind of nice to blow away several orcs with a single Fireball. Mordenkainen's Force Missiles are very handy at high levels (and it looks cool too :D ).

5. Bhaal's Drinking Buddy Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

finger o' death(i'd like to call it Bush's Pinky)
    magic missile cool, force missile cooler(albeit slower to cast).
    don call me drunk or nothin, but if i remember correctly, wtf happened to contact other plane?
    i know, i know, its only use was to find out what vexing thoughts' true name is in HoW, but damn i loved that crummy bastard that says "yesss..."

6. Istari of Thay Banned

Hmmm...

Well, I'll have to say; magic missile
    (i killed the guardian with those)

7. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31

At higher levels now I am beginning to really enjoy a few area effect spells that are flashy, make lots of big bad noise, and rock the house with damage: firestorm, acid storm, tremor and suffocate. I really like suffocate because it often prevent wizards and such from casting spells.

Trapping enemies in areas with multiple webs and then dropping these spells is like calling in my own personal air force. I almost feel sorry for the bad guys.

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

remove fatigue.

9. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

for me is emotion hope...both defensive and offensive in one spell..word..

10. knightblade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Delayed blast fireball.

11. popbuggy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

there are no doubt that powerwordblind is the most useful spell ever~! sadly not that efficiant in underground :mad:

12. BGP Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] I tried to play my second time through very differently, spellwise. I'll highlight some I used the most and not mention the standards everyone seems to use.

I played a paladin/sorcerer, so no necromantic spells whatsoever. It's just not in her nature. Except...for Flaying. I just tried it on a whim when fighting the Twins and did over 50 points damage. Then I did it again and it did it again. Ouch, she said, and ran to her precious pool.

But Grease was a big improvement over previous versions. I used it during almost every battle prior to chapter 3; I was using a small party of 3 with a useless monk, so really 2 (the other was a straight druid).

Snilloc's Snowball is a terrific 2nd level area damage spell.

Fire Shield combo with Mirror Image is tremendous--damage every time they hit you. The Twins are vunerable to cold, remember.

Shades (6th level) is slightly better than 2.01 Animate Undead now. The shade Greater Werewolf is very solid offense (slash) and defense. This and summon animals 1 were my mage summons.

Prismatic Spray is a huge improvment over BG2, with no chance for benefits for your enemy.

As for my Druid, he was phenominal. Of course stoneskin and such, but Thorn Spray is very harmful (6d10) and a fast cast (3) and is reflex based for half, so it always hurts a little unless there is spell resistance. Wave has already been mentioned, and I agree.

You can stack call lightning and static charge and then get a lightning strike with the HOF Nature's Fury cloack; anything not immune to electricity gets fried, and the Druid is fighting and casting spells while this static shield is in place. Ouch.

Finally, I used Sunbeam a great deal as it does damage and blinds. I would take my level 13+ monk running through it and undead things would go in, but wouldn't come out.

I favored spells in this game that continued to do damage while I was free to go about my business. Bleeding/poisoning swords, shields that poison you; it was a nice theme to explore.

It's very effective in multiplayer; think of how you feel when one of your characters gets poisoned or melfed; You panic a bit. I hope to try it out in multi soon.

13. Orrick the Grey Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think that mordekainen's sword and then tenser's transformation is possibly the coolest combo for a mage

14. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

as was said further up the type of spells you use is situational.
    • for lots of baddies i usually do sunfire or chain lightning
    • for strong bosses etc., i do malison and disintigrate/finger of death/flaying. flaying is useful for stopping them during the casting of a spell.
    • miscast magic is also useful for isair/madae and other magic-using bosses.
    • i also like doing magic circle of protection from evil and doing gate/summon fiend/cacofiend and watching the carnage!

15. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31

Well if you combine Mordenkainens Sword with Tensers Transformation you will get a pretty tough fighter. Also Disintegrate and Fireball are damn deadly!! I guess identifikation has grown a bit useless after my wizard can identify every magic item i encounter. Else it was a very good spell in the BG serie

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Infravision. :p

No, actually Morkedaniens Force Missiles.

17. Kabuki Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Improved Invisibility.

18. Jadow77 Gems: 2/31

Magic arrow
    Finger of death
    Power word death
    Raise undead

19. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] if i could have one spell from Baldurs Gate II, it would be chain contingency. to be able to realease 3 (5? - cant remember) magic missiles at the same time was really sweet.

:evil:

20. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

3 Mordenkainen's Force Missiles!

*Drools*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.