1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite Spells in ID2?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Ancalìmon, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I was wondering, what is your favourite spell in ID2? What is the worst? The most deadly? All comments and opinions are welcome. :D

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, MagicMissile is always solid gold, but one spell I'm particularly likeing is Mordenkainen's Force Missiles. I really disliked this spell early on, but as you gain levels it turns out very nice :)

Animate Dead is very usefull of course, and Fireball is damned powerfull :evil: And I would've liked Sanctuary a lot if they didn't limit actions to walking. I haven't really been using Chromatic Orb, but it has good uses on the higher levels.

3. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Yea, magicmissle rocks. Cloudkill is also damn handy, but the problem with spells such as cloudkill, fireball, Stinking cloud, ice storm, flame strike, ... is that you have to be careful or you wipe out your own party, wich limits their usefulness. Mordenkainen's sword is very very good. If your a highlevel spellcaster this spell really kicks ass!

4. BGP Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's situational.

For large numbers of melee based enemies:

Malison
    Slow
    Chaos or Emotion: Despair

(with priest doing greater command immediately after first spell--sometimes was enough zzzzzz's to skip the next two)

What the spell combo above does is radically reduce the melee ability of the attackers. Slow gives -4, chaos gives another -4--this stacking can make even the most ravenging groups like sheep. HOF mode aside, of course.

For stopping other mages: Missile-spells are nice, as is Melf's arrow, are good for interrupting their spells. But fortitude-save type spells can do the nasty work.

In other situations, other things work. I'd like to hear more.

5. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Well, there is of course the Finger Of Death. Although it certainly doesn't succeed a lot, it's a real killer.(duh)What do you guys think of the cloudkill?

6. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well i'm very early in the game. I've just done the battle at the palisade wall and now i'm off to take back the bridge. But so far, i've found sleep to be an invaluable addition to my arsenal. My sorcerer alone can take out a whole group of goblins even at this early level (3). He just casts sleep and picks them off with his crossbow and/or magic missle and burning hands.

[ February 01, 2003, 17:31: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

7. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am choosing fireball,the massive destruction spell of the first 3 or 4 chapters and you can even use it in later stages.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm rather partial to Melf's Acid Arrow. Must be the sizzle sound when it hits. :evil:

9. Charlie Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] I too am partial to fireball. It's a classic. I think I've used it as far as back Curse of the Azure Bonds.

10. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] It might just be me, but my Sorcerer 5/Ranger 4 just can't stop casting Melf's Minute Meteors, or Melf's Acid Arrow. Hell, i think she's turning into Melf himself! ;)

Woosh! There goes the meteors!
    Orc 1: *splat* *charr*
    Orc 2: *sloff*
    Orc 3 & 4: *blurgh* *bleugh*
    Whaff! There goes an acid arrow!
    Orc 5: *Split - melt*
    Twang! There goes five arrows from my bow!
    Orc Unit: *Die*

Mwhahahhaa! :D

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I like the area effect spells.

Acid storm, fire storm, acid fog, wail o' the banshee, horrid wilting.

Power word kill is nice, but it doesn't really tought the higher level guys. Cloud kill is nice, too, but there's a lot of things that are resistant to poison later in the game.

Finger of Death is nice, simply because even with the throw, you still do a little damage.

12. Laocorn Gems: 3/31

Fireball is a classic for wiping out groups of enemies. Melf's Acid Arrow is beautiful at times, and Otiluke's Freezing Sphere can put a hurting on some. One of my favorite things to do is use Chromatic Orb on enemy spellcasters at higher levels because it causes 'Hold' on them. Then you can cast the Acid Arrow or Vitriolic Sphere on them, or maybe even Shroud of Flame, and watch them slowly die, unable to move at all. Or just Disintegrate them. Mind Flayers love being disintegrated.

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am rather partial to DBFireball. It is not capped at 6d6 rather when you cast it at level 13 it is 13d6. Add 2 spell focus in Evocation and Spirit of Flame feat and you get a lovely 80 - 100 damage. Aaaahhh, nice crispy enemies. Works wonders when 2 party members cast it in tandem... :cool: The glasses are to reduce the glare when looking at ground zero!

14. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Well, it looks like the most of you prefer Mekf's acid arrow and fireball. But have you tried the Druid's Smashing Wave? It can be truly devastating at higher levels!

15. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

DB Fireball is nice becasue its damage is not capped. Skull trap is nice too. My favourite spell was Otiluke's Resilient Sphere in normal.
    It gives you the strategic advantage of creating untouchable decoys. Then you can wipe the clean with Meteor Swarm, Horrid Wilting etc.
    Animate Dead is the best sumooning spell, as most of you will agree.
    Under HoF mode, my favourite is Malison+Recitation+Wail of the Banshee.
    My rogue/wizard casts Malison, cleric casts Recitation and diviner casts Wail of the Banshee.
    Malison and Recitation lowers saving throws of monster for a total of 4. My diviner with 24 INT and Gr. SF: Necromancy feat, then kicks ass.
    Her best score with WotB was 19 kills and it was HoF. :shake:

16. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

As well as the area damage spells, especially fireball (of course), i quite like the multi usefullness of seven eyes. Not entirely sure why it jus seems really cool to me. And i like the effect.

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Otiluke's Resilient sphere is indeed a very usefull spell. When faced with lots of foes it can give your tanks some breathing space. When you're mage is being pummeled to death it'll protect him/her.

Wonderfull spell indeed. For both defensive as offensive.

18. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Ancalimon you are truly The Wise, this is a great topic. I've picked up some awesome suggestions for spell tactics just reading the posts; and that's really what I enjoy most about this game engine: figuring out how to best kill the enemy, heh-heh. :D

Yeah fireball is classic, funny though how Melf's acid arrows are so satisfying considering the moderate damage they do. Game designers deserve an award for coming up with that punishing green acid effect.

But spells I really love are stoneskin and strength for my tanks, they last very long and upgrade my warriors to impregnable, body part churning supertanks.

You've inspired me, I want to ramble on about various spell tactics now but I'll just go ahead and start a new topic.

19. TemeK Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I refer DBFireball. It's good to use as you can make much damage and if your sorcerer is mirror imaged he takes no damage even he is next to DBFireball.

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

TemeK - Are you sure? That would make it mighty effective for a solo campaign indeed.

BTW - DB fireball is capped at 20xd8, normal fireball 15xd6.

Lots of extra damage available there!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.