1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Um... is this right? (improved invis.)

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by GronkNuts, Sep 7, 2002.

1. GronkNuts Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My sorc just got improved invis.
    I have been fighting some hook horrors. When
    I improve invis my party and attack they dont attack back. They dont notice me at all.
    Is this a bug? Or are they just dumb?
    I know in the original IWD monsters would attack back once your presence was known.

[ September 08, 2002, 20:12: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It shouldn't be working that way. Sounds to me like either a bug with the spell or the hook horrors' AI. Does it work correctly when used on other creatures?

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Are you sure it's not the rules' change? I mean, I don't have d&d 3E manual so I can't see if improved invisibility is changed. Perhaps you don't get revealed by attacking, so do as Rastor said, test if it gets dispelled on another creatures. And type the spell description in here!
    (you may copy/paste it from PDF manual on CD if it's inside the manual, I don't have IWD2 yet so I can't see it :( )

4. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

It may be a bug, or the implementation in the game, but improved invisibility in IWDII does seem to render the character totally invisible. To the point where you can stand there and hack at, cast spells, shoot, maim, nudge, poke and make faces at monsters without them batting an eyelid. It's the same on all creatures.
    It lasts just long enough that I was able to finish level 5 of the battlesquares. :)

5. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Spell Description:

"This spell is similar to Invisibility, but the recipient is able to attack, either with missiles, melee weapons or spells, and remain unseen. However, telltale traces, a shimmering, allow an observant opponent to attack the invisibility spell recipient. These traces are only noticable when specifically looked for (after the invisible character has made his presence known)."

The problem with the spell is that you don't get the chance to attack the recipient after he reveals himself. Monsters that don't naturally see invisible things *never* attack an Improved Invisible character. Nor does a player get the chance to attack the few bad guys who use this spell. This is a known issue (at least, one of the devs over on the BIS board said they were looking at why it was doing this).

A 'known' invisible opponent is supposed to be considered 50% concealed (ie any attack that would normally hit has a 50% chance of being a miss instead).

This bug also crimps the blindfighting feat a bit too, since in CRPGs its main function is to make it easier to hit invisible characters.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Alright, then the spell is bugged. You should still be able to be attacked, but the enemies miss 50% of the time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.