1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

4 Deep Gnomes and 2 Drows

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by el M, Nov 25, 2006.

1. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@el M: Your name doesn't remind me on a D&D deity, rather on a terrorist.

2. el M Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

SPOILER

Finished Undead Targos + Tactis -> had to resurrect the Monk(2) and the Rogue(2) aferwards. Used their evasion + high DEX save 11, high AC 28-29, Blurr and Mirror Image innate DG abilities - to trick Caballus and his brother into unleashing deadly fireballs and skull traps on their army and themselves. The spell that killed both my caracters eventualy was - Boiling Blood - fire damage + berserk - could not use heling potions - both my Monk and Rogue have low fortitude saves. The scroll of WallOfMoonLight from the priest in the tent helped a lot doing scores of damage to the goblins and al sorts of undead as the walked back and forth trough it fallowing my decoys in SLOW mode . When the dust settled Sullabac remained standing guarded only by 2 severly injured Zombie lords and a miraculosly uninjured BoneGuard -> three of those MEGACHEESE arrows from the I... whatever is his name master archer later it was the Banite and his new 2H axe from the spectral wolf rider versus Sullabac . The Bard singed while the rest of the survivors cheered as Sullabac was slowly chopped to bits.

The Banite finnished most of the undead in the previsios two battles using the mace from the Mayors's wife helped by the Monk. Raised Dead x2 and fifth gear towards Torak.

after a series of cakewalk battles he finnaly get to meet Torak and his mages - victory on the first attempt - no casualties (except for the loss of all healing potions) - and it was a long battle.

The bard singed merrily all along - he only paused to charm a orc warrior on the begining of the battle and an archer later. The charmed was send firts to confront the wizards. I used up some of necromancery scrolls i've got from Caballus(web,horror). The wizards spells were not disrupted much by being held in the web but at least it made hiting them easier. Torak paniced from the horror and gave me a few rounds of peace. One of the wizards severily disrupted the casting of the others - some snow circular spell . The druid was the toughest of the bunch but they all felt one by one to the combined assault of
    Punisher and Ironfist. The regular orcs where hunted down with arrows by the low on spells casters and eventualy it camed down to Torak againts the rest of my party . Then it got a bit slower - my fighters had trouble hiting him and because of EoU his armour gave him hefty damage reduction. Low on spell power and healing potions i was about to burn up some damage scrolls i've been collecting for my illusionist - flame arrow,magic arrow ... Before that i remembered Punisher was able to cast level 2 spells :Bull's strength had been cast before the battle but he still had a Hold Person memorised - puff - Torak held - now Punisher and Ironfist can hit him every time. By the time he finnaly recovers he is near death and a critical hit from the 2H axe ends the battle.

Now all my party members are lvl3 and going to make sure that the cave troll returns the Moonblade to the priestess.

[ November 27, 2006, 20:58: Message edited by: el M ]

3. el M Gems: 3/31

just finished chapter two after defeating all levels of the battle square (manny reloads some disruption cheese on tough spots :D ).

All the characters are now lvl 10 and i've conveniently
    give to each one a personalysed casting script to be abble to put up all the available buffs when needed.

The dreadmaster was the champion of the battle square winning every single event, and until now the most reliable berserker of the team.

The monk is overjoyed at the look of his flashy new sword of brilliance - with it his chance to hit goes up to respectable levels. His forte however remains his
    mega saving throws and AC above 50 :D .

The druid got the +4 spear for the time when she's out of spells .

And the rest of the casters have actualy aquired a respectable number of buffing and disabling spells to make life easy and beutiful for the front liners.

4. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

As JT already noted, having super-high WIS on your Dreadmaster and NOT taking a monk level at some later stage (read: sometime during HOF mode) is just plain wrong. It's not like you're lacking in the amount and quality of spells by the time you're level 20 anyway, so the EXP penalty won't hurt you a bit.

Likewise, a DG monk without at least one Dreadmaster level is effectively at -7 WIS (2 x 2 from Dreadmaster q and 3 from not being able to use Every God's Ring), and since you're missing a level of rogue too, you're only looking at AC in the high 60's no matter how you twist and turn it. Since Monk of the Old Order allows free multiclassing into rogue, you don't have to suffer the whole 40% EXP penalty during the whole game either, just 20%.

5. el M Gems: 3/31

ok :D good points

6. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Actually what I was saying is that a high-level monk is a poor powergaming choice. Even if you want a monk-like melee combatant, a high-STR monk 3/cleric x/fighter 4 with a good weapon is better. Deep gnome, obviously.

But you're also right that cleric levels after 20 are pointless. You could take six additional cleric levels and only gain one additional casting each of Heal, Ressurection, Mass Heal, and Gate (or whichever other 6th-9th level spells you prefer). This is not a big benefit, considering you already have 5 + domain of each of those spell levels. So go take those monk levels.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.