1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Immolation Room - Black Raven Monastery

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Khazraj, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Stuck in Chapter 4 Black Raven Monastery. I am up to the last of the 8 chambers before going to the Underdark passage. I can't kill the bronze monks. I just get burned up. I tried a fighter, cleric and sorcerer. Just die die die. Any strategies? Cheers

[ October 04, 2002, 15:24: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Armin W. Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2 way it worked for me:

- use a monk

- use a fighter/spellcaster combo

in both ways have a hand on the space bar. EVery time a ring of fire appears, pause game, click at a safe place to run to, unpause. Keep out of the flame strikes that way, the monks do less damage.

With a fighter/spellcaster combo you can move, cast a buff spell, move some more, and try to level the ground with the bronze monks that way (bull's stregth, cat's grace, shield etc.). Haste helps to avoid the flame strikes.

Did i mention to AVOID the flame strikes? :p

And the usual IWD2 tactic: reload until the dice fall in your favor...

3. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Here's what I did:

I stripped my fighter, sent him in, went right for the weapons. After two or three tries, I won with under ten hits left. I'm not sure if using the weapons gets you lower experience though, it might.

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Definitely stay out of the flame strikes. Every time I saw a preliminary circle appear, I clicked on an area that was far enough away that my fighter wasn't injured, but the monks were. Definitely had to stay on your toes.

5. Kovsky Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

in my 1st time with my pure fighter, i died for those damn flame strikes. So I tried it again (i ressurected my fighter immediatly, dont wasted time - hi lvl cleric really makes the difference) and returned there. To my luck, the flame strikes didn't come this time, so i easily killed the monks.
    I don't know if it was a bug or not, but it worked

6. Blitz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I used my cleric for the first 7 circles, but went with the sorcerer for the last one. Stoneskin casts quicker than iron skins. After that it was just run, cast shades... repeat until monks dead. Hope that helps.

7. giridion Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Send a cleric, cast your strongest summon monster spell, cast sanctuary and all you have to do is stay off the flames!!!
    I don't know if this will actualy work in the normal mode but it's preaty effective in HoF mode, oh yes you can also send in your wizard and cast a spell (don't know how it's called, but think it's lv4) which negates all damage done to him but he'll be unable to do anything until the spell expires, workes great if you cast gate before ;)

8. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

I became very lame and turned down the difficulty... (tears if shame :cry: )

I think that the summoning and hiding routine is the only way really. I read somewhere else on the net that you can run to a corner and cast invisibility. SPrint to the other side and cast animate dead. Go invisible again. Apparently the monks flamestrikes only happen if they can see you. Oh well. When I play again. Up to chapter 5 now.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys.

9. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It is possible to do it without using the summonings, but its tough. The flame strikes target on invisible creatures that move around the floor, so you can 'trip' over them as you move.

The key is either someone who is fast (a monk or barbarian) or someone who can resist a lot of fire damage (a spellcaster of some sort, obviously).

10. section8 Gems: 1/31

ok, i am having same issue... i have tried all my characters 3-5 times. nuthin... this is rediculous. i pretty much took care of business on the other rooms and the other chapter for that matter. but these damn monks.

any new help? i tried the above help. i am even willing to try cheats pretty soon.

11. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Before almost giving up, I found that throwing axes and throwing hammers and continuously moving around helped me kill one monk and get the other monk to almost dead, but with only 10 or less hp myself, what was the point reloading for the 20th time? Perhaps killing all the monks is easier for Barad...

12. Were Fox Gems: 1/31

What I did was Cast an elemental resitance spell
    the one that gives 15 fire resist, ironskins, protection from evil, summon fire elemental, and sanctuary. I think 5 damage taken. Expertise helped also.
    :D

[ October 04, 2002, 09:47: Message edited by: Were Fox ]

13. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What worked for me was a sorcerer. Cast Improved Invis. and then a shadow monster. I never moved while my shadow Skrag wiped them out.

14. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A rogue or a monk can evade the flame strikes, which reduces the problem to one of destroying the monks. If you have a rogue or a monk that can really fight, send them in and they'll have half the trouble another character would.

If you have tried all of your characters, tried summoning spells, tried dying and then going back in after being resurrected, it probably is best to just lower the difficulty and send in a tank. It's a game after all, there's no point being frustrated endlessly. Not that I would know from personal experience... certainly not... but you still get good xp doing this chamber on "very easy". :good:

15. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Evasion and high Reflex saving throw is your best friend. In my last game I sent in my lvl 2 Rogue / lvl 12 barbarian with +13 to reflex s/t, enraged him and he took care of the monks in two minutes

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.