1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Secrets to making money in Chapter 1

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tartan, May 30, 2007.

1. Tartan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Aside from demanding gold as quest rewards and sleeping in the wild to spawn lootable monsters, are there any other tricks to making money in the early part of IWD2? There are a few item Ribald (the bonus merchant) is selling that I'd like to buy before I have to leave Targos for good, if I can find a way to do so short of using cheat console commands to suddenly put millions of gold in my pocket.

P.S.: Yeah, I know I'll run into Ribald again, but picking up one or two of his items early would be a real boon, if I could find a way to pull it off.

P.P.S: None of my characters have the Pick Pocket skill, so I've never even bothered to see if you can steal from merchants in IWD games like you can in the Baldur's Gate series.

2. Reeman Gems: 1/31

You should definitely pickpocket NPC's. It's worthwhile to pickpocket nearly every NPC in Targos (except the generic soldiers/trainee's, etc at the palisade), anything with a name however usually has at least a few coins or a dagger to pp. You only need 4 pickpocket skill and a dex score of 18 or 20 to pickpocket everyone in Targos. The only person I every really have a problem with is Swordmaster Ragni in the Pavilion.

The NPC's in the Pavilion have some scrolls that will net you quite a bit, Elytharra and Ulbrec have some decent items, and Oswald has a few Potion of Explosions, etc just to name a few.

Oh, and one thing I should note, is make sure you play the game to win the Wolf Charm from Guthewulfe (in the Tavern) before you pickpocket him, otherwise you lose the opportunity to get 450 xp. for winning by removing it from his inventory.

Other than that, pick up every last piece of loot that has a price on it and sell it.

~ Reeman

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    When you trade your items use a high CHA character buffed with Eagle Splendor to get the best prices.

Be careful who you sell to. In certain areas where you get several shops you may have different prices for your items.

Ulbrec's wife gives rather good prices in Targos IIRC.

If you sell many copies of the same item sell them at the same time otherwise the price will decrease for every sale. For example if you have 10 longswords to sell don't sell 4 then 6, put them all in a character's inventory and sell them all at th same time. The difference may be ridiculous for regular items but later on it can be hefty if you sell magic bullets or arrows.

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You should pick up every special arrow/bolt/missile/dart you can find along the way and sell them. They can give really large amounts of money and are probably my primary income source over the game. Sell it all with a high-cha person and sell all of one sort at the same time.

5. Tartan Gems: 1/31

Thanks for all the good info guys! I don't have a dedicated thief in the party yet, but I'll spend some points in PP as soon as I can manage it. So far I only have one character dedicated to archery, so selling ammo is pretty painless.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Don't put too many points in pickpocket. A few ranks with high DEX + Cat's Grace is good enough (don't forget to take off the armour the rogue might be wearing to avoid any penalty).

7. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

"When you trade your items use a high CHA character buffed with Eagle Splendor to get the best prices."

It does not work entirely like this. I used to play with 2 sorcerers (aasimar and human) an the one with more CHA stat get better prices BUT ONLY when you buy stuff.The "sell" fair market prize it seems to be the same no matter how high you buffed your charisma.The only difference lies in the "merchant background" feat, it gives 5 % better buy/sell prizes.
    Of course, you don´t wanna select your shield dwarf with 3 CHA to start a dialogue with any merchant, or you ´re gonna end up really poor very, very soon.
    All of the above strategies works wonder to me too.

8. kylan271 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have had this issue also,and in Chapter 1 it is very difficult to raise the money even with buffed PCs-the merchant feat bonus helps and ES spell as mentioned(Winter Wolf and other CHR enhanced devices I found don't stack with ES spell,grrrrr). I had to cheat("Move to AR...blah blah")console cheat to comeback to buy things I couldn't as of Chapter 2. There is a mace near the Kaitlin's prisoners that gives 1gp/day heh,a little bonus.

As of Chap 2 I found the Werewolf "Bedowyn"??? Is the best buyer if you gain a discount with him-from exposing his cult. I sell Winter Wolfy for 750gp and Wampas..oops Yetis at 525gp per skin,some missile weapons and potions(spirit essence)add lots of gp also if you sell(go hunting in Ice temple level 2). I have not killed him yet as recomended for xp in the guides as he is my best merchant(for selling thing)to date. I have a human with 18CHR,merchant feat and use ES spell so up to +7 with 5% bonus on buy/sell. Once I made money w/o cheating I "Move to area" cheat to get back to Targos and purchase what I wanted. *The merchants should have moved to Kuldahar etc as the chapters progressed,it would be better.

9. kylan271 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I thought Charisma helped in the sale of goods???????? It does not work,only if you have Mercahnt feat...lol. You can buy OK,but sell,charisma does not help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.