1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Do you use faqs and walkthroughs when you play? and why?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Alurith, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Alurith Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just want to know how many people use faq and walkthrough, and i also want to know if any of you thinks that using faq and/or a walkthrough is considered cheating.

[ August 07, 2003, 18:20: Message edited by: Alurith ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 29 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Do you use Faq and Walkthrough when you play ? and why ? (29 votes.)

Do you use faq and Walkthrough when you play Icewind dale II (Choose 1)
    * Nope, not even peeked - 0% (0)
    * Nope, just occasional glance to check on things - 21% (6)
    * Yes, but only when i'm stuck - 41% (12)
    * Yes, i used it a lot, to prepare myself ahead of time - 38% (11)

Do you consider using faq and/or Walkthrough to be cheating ? (Choose 1)
    * What ?, NO, of course not ! - 45% (13)
    * Not if you only use one of them as knowledge - 24% (7)
    * Yes, if you're using it to foresee things in the game - 31% (9)
    * Stop asking ! a Cheater is a Cheater is a Cheater is a ......... - 0% (0)

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I consider a well written faq/walkthough instrumental to my enjoyment of rpgs.

3. knightblade Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I use faq and walktroughs only to get hints when I'm stuck. Besides I don't think that it is cheating.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I will normally play CRPGs once without the walkthrough and then play again with the walkthrough to find all of the neat little things that I missed my first time through.

If I am really stuck during my first attempt I will eventually consult a walkthrough before I reach the "hurls monitor out of the window" point.

5. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i finish a game and replay it then with a FAQ to have a comparison. sometimes i get new info, sometimes i even can spare my experience.

6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I love a well written faq!

IMO it's not a matter of "cheating". I wonder how many would consider it cheating to play the game more than one time, because having played it once gives you knowledge of the game. :cool:

It is fun to discover things on your own. OTOH I hate missing things or getting stuck more than I enjoy discovering stuff.

7. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

FAQs offers much more than walkthrough. It is also a collection of methods from different approach. We all have our different ways to play a game. Our thinking range is only that much. With faqs, we can collect different solutions for one problem.

8. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The first time I play I only use walkthroughs if I am very stuck. I usually look in the forum first for hints. Walkthroughs are not cheating. The game is for fun not to drive one insane. I prefer the forum for different ideas on how to play. After I finished once I will look at different walkthroughs especially to see what I missed.

9. Compulsive Dementia Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Only if I get really, really stuck.

10. Gwenhwyfar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

My party would die a million times if I didn't use walkthroughs >.< I stink at this kind of game, but I play it anyway, because it's fun. Yes, I'm weird :p

11. Thermopyle Gems: 1/31

I'm on this board looking for help/walkthrough right now. If the puzzles aren't straight forward and I don't want to take the time to figure them out, I look at a walkthrough.

If I wanted to solve puzzles, I'd play Myst. I just want to get past the puzzles and move onto the hack and slash.

I gotta admit, the battle in ID2 are 10x better than in ID1. I like the way they keep coming at ya.

Battle, battle, phew they're all dead, exhale, oh shi... there's more of em!

12. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

If you consider FAQ's and Walkthroughs to be cheating then asking anyone else how you should do is exactly as much cheating, IMHO that is.

13. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Using said materials is most definately cheating, but i certainly have nothing against it. I never use them untill I have beaten the game the first time. Then I pour over them and try and get the most out of the game!

14. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I like using some sort of walkthrough of FAQ when I'm playing certain games. Although, there are other games that I don't need to. I don't see it as a form of cheating, and it's cool to see how many solutions there are to solving particular problems. :D

15. Iroden Wildwanderer Gems: 1/31

I only use a walkthrough when I'm really stuck and at the point where if I don't use a walkthrough I can't be bothered playing it anymore coz the puzzle or whatever annoys me. Sometimes though I use a walkthrough to find out what goddies I missed my first time through. (By the way I have about three different games running at the same time. The first is only at Targos, where I have made 6 uber characters, but I haven't used it to play past the Targos Docks. The other one is in Chapter 1, right before fighting Torak and the last is in Chapter 3 which is the game I'm currently playing). Other than the second game, I haven't used a walkthrough to find out what I missed.

16. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Heh, loved to read something like that in the walkthrough:".... do it and then he summons ..... the most difficult battle in the game.Your party will be probably dead in a couple of rounds." I always wonder exactly how difficult it is for MY party.

Otherwise i love to play new games whose walkthroughs are not yet fully complete just to see if I find something new in the game that the creator did not....

17. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I start using them when I get stuck. Of course, once started, I can't stop reading. Essentially, I've memorized the entire walkthrough before going back and solving the problem for which I've turned to the walkthrough in the first place.

Walkthroughs spoil the game, if it's not cheating.

18. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I only use them when completely stuck, and I mean really stuck.

In IWD2 I had to to get through Dragon's Eye because I'd killed the Wyvern guarding the mod'ed Mandrake root out of turn. The UK version hadn't been updated to fix the bug, so I was in an imposible situation without knowing until I read the walkthrough.

Other than that I might peek at these things afterwards for the same reasons as others do: To see what I missed.

19. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Since I have a very limited amount of free time that I can devote to gaming, I generally wait to purchase a game until it has been out for a while...

this allows me to read all of the reviews, peruse the message board to get insight from the actual players themselves, see what bugs/patches are around, and usually to read a walkthrough or two as well

I do all of this to decide if I am going to get enough enjoyment out of a game to warrant my time...

now, also due to my limited gaming time, I tend to use walkthroughs a lot, because I dont like the idea of spending months playing through a game only to find out I missed out on some terrific quest or some terrific item that would have made my gaming experience all the better...

I do enjoy the discovery aspect of playing without a walkthrough, though, so what I tend to do is have a walkthrough on hand, and play through an area, with a few saves, and then read the walkthrough for the section I just completed to see if I missed anything important, or screwed something up. Then I can go back, or replay the area.

I dont consider it cheating for myself, or for anyone else. We all paid money for the game (supposedly) and as long as your actions do not hinder someone else's enjoyment of the game, I say do what ever you want, as long as you are having fun.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.