1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

A party of bards

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Grey Magistrate, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

After all this talk of IWD2 dying, I decided to pull out the CDs and give it one more try. But no powergaming for me this round. No, I'm going to the complete opposite and playing a party of...bards!

I call my quartet "The Mercenary Choir". I have a soprano (Serenity), alto (Quintessence), tenor (Leif), and bass (Travis). As befits such a crazy concept, each bard is a chaotic neutral. They're charming, covetous cads addicted to wild living and healing potions.

Each character has a 20 Charisma and 18 Strength; the other four attributes are randomly distributed to provide some variation between the bards. I have my 18 Constutition tank, a 14 Intelligence skillmonger, etc.

They're not pure bards...each one has four fighter levels, for the weapon specialization. But, to make it even harder - and goofier - my bards are aasimars. That means they triggered the 20% experience penalty once they hit level six in bard.

Yes, if I were powergaming, a much better idea would be to mix paladin-sorcerers - the paladins are the aasimar's favored class, the charisma bonuses would stack, and the sorcerers have a much better spell selection than the bards. But that wouldn't be near so much fun as my ruthless quartet.

I'm just about done with the Ice Temple, and, inexplicably, this round is the easiest of all my IWD2 adventures. I'm doing better with this intentionally crippled party than my carefully-crafted "power" parties.

Full disclosure: I'm using Weimar's minimum-experience mod, as minor compensation for my four-person party and my ECL penalty. I'm also using the infinite-stacking mod, which is a real moneymaker since I can now vacuum up and sell everything I find. Those two mods do make the game a li'l easier, but not outrageously so.

With this group, I may not be able to beat the game. But I can PLAY it.

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Is this not rather difficult? I tried a party of clerics once and a party of monks, only to give up since it was frustratingly hard. I think that a party of certain races rather than classes would be more fun, but each to his own. Perhaps it would be fun, though I predict that I would give up due to rather limited spell selections, item options and skills.

3. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I played with a party of drows that were escaping from Luskan (just to fall into something worse). I had my female bard (the leader!!) my cleric, another fighter-cleric, and a bunch of male servants (one fighter, one wizard and one ranger)

Very funny to roleplay a party of self-interested group of drows that must fight in favour of those who they hate so much, just for their own survival :D .

4. Archdruid_Iselore Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] party of bards.wow.song of death!

i think that your party is great both in powergaming and plot..because bards are "jack of all trades but master of none" they can be a good fighter with spells to power up.and nice thief to..(not very much,but they have the hooded shirt).then a sorcerer.

but the most fun of that,nothing is most disgracing losing into batch of tenors..

5. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

My powergaming mind tell me that if I create a all bard party like you, when they all reaches bard's 11 Lv, all sing the best song in battle, except the most warrior type of my bard(protected with spells) go hack and slash.

Anyway, I will not do that.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] And how would you call it? Bremens Brass Band? Fantasy Adventure Fanfare? :D

7. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My vicious quartet has just finished clearing the Fellwood. (Fortunately they had a map courtesy of my previous IWD2 incarnations.) Right now they're each Bard 8 / Fighter 4, heavily burdened by that 20% experience penalty.

I've assigned each bard a different weapon, and the Fighter levels give them specialization. The soprano wields a two-handed axe; the alto uses polearms; the tenor lugs a greatsword; and the bass has a hammer-and-tongs (I mean, shield). For those few monsters that only respond to one damage type - for example, bludgenoning-vulnerable golems - I have my bass fight solo, with the other three bards each playing a different song.

Level 1 and 2 bard spells are not that useful, but the level 3 spells are great - Confusion, Haste, and the four Emotion spells. Much more fun, and useful, than pure fighters - if still less powerful than mixing fighters (or paladins) with sorcerers.

After playing for awhile, I see that the infinite stacking mod is a lot more unbalancing than I'd expected. I've taken to stacking a hundred healing potions and then mass-medicating my bards between battles. Plus, now that I can limitlessly stack missile ammunition, I can pick up everything that isn't nailed down and sell it for...yes, potion cash. Granted, they are heavy drinkers, but THIS heavy?

I think I'll stick with calling them the Choir, since these covetous cads are only interested in what they can "acquire". Oof, sorry...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.