1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Events changed by low stats

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Blog, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

What significant events are there in the game that are changed by having high/low stats (particularly INT, WIS, CHA)?

By significant, I mean plot or quest related. So having low INT and getting killed by a mind flayer in one hit is not what I'm looking for here. ;)

To get the ball rolling, having low stats prevents you from pleading insane to the Pirate Lord. ie: no matter what sequence of dialogue you choose, you cannot trick the Pirate lord from taking you to the asylum.

Or another example would be the Spectator Beholder. Korgan couldn't convince him with his low WIS, but Haerdalis could.

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If you have high INT and CHA, you get more choices to avoid getting into bed with Phaere.
    If you really want that :D

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, if your Int is low, you'll call a Mind Flayer a Mind Flayer in the Underdark, where it's supposed to be called Ilthids...doesn't affect too much...I think...

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actuallt, to get out of going to bed with that drow all you have to say is that your with someone she doesn't know. It doesn't matter how crap your stats are

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I'm not even going to mention the dozen or so that are affected by charisma.

In the underdark, if you have really crap int, you call mind flayers an Otyugh, which makes Solaufein mad.

Also with Phaere, if you have high int or cha you can convince her that you are either impotent, chastise, or something else (I don't remember what)

On one of Mae'Var's quests, you can't convince Marcus to give you Edwin's documents if your stats suck.

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Not so much a plot twist but prices (both for selling and for buying) are much better with high CHA.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

yeah, the shop prices are about the only thing I've noticed about charisma... but Rastor said there's a lot more than that. I ought to play through with low CHA sometime to check them out.

8. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I have to disappoint you too ... you get more options, but in the important cases you are just able to chat a bit and get more info, before the fight comes. So with CHR 23 and WIS19 I got a little conversation with the Torgal in the deArnise's hold, but he decided to attack, even that I got some more backround from him. The same for most of the encounters, you get some discount, and more options, but there are probably very few dialogs, where it matters (at least WIS/CHR). Fallout(2) was much more flexible with this.

9. Nocturno Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Don't you need a WIS of at least 13 to get the Spectator in the Sahuagin city to open the chest he's guarding, so you can 'see what's in it'?

10. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The spectator will let you into the chest with lower than 13 WIS, I have done it twice with WIS scores of 10 and 11.

11. komei Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Of course once you know of the various encounters which may depend on a characters WIS or CHA score to achieve a more favourable outcome, if you have party members, use the one with the highest WIS or CHA score to get the outcome - or use potions and items which increase these scores temporarily. Sometimes you can avoid the occasional fight or two with high WIS and/or CHA scores, but then you miss out on combat EXP unless the 'talking your way out' scores EXP points for novelty value...!

12. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

It's weird that you did that Jim BAbwe. I've never managed it with a character with under 13 wis? the beholder probably talked with one of your other caracters. or maybe yours just bugged itself in a good way :D

13. Karunirin Rochambeau Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Sometimes phrases in convos are different beyween stats. Usually it's if a character would have higher WIS of CHA and remember/know something about the circumstances, and it's usually little things, but sometimes it changes.

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

when you are going to retrieve Edwins documents you can snap the fat guys neck if you have enought strengh... 18 is the least i think...

15. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, people... if you don't mind ... please send me some docs or whatever you have covering the subject... the e-mail is chevalier@o2.pl ... thanks in advance

ah, high stats as well :)

[ December 18, 2002, 13:48: Message edited by: chevalier des Trois-Tours ]

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Yes, although there is another stat that can be high and get you in. Maybe charisma.

You need 16 cha to get Desharik to admit you to the asylum, if you want to go in that way.

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I bet there's nothing special if you have 22 white wisdom and 20 white charisma (25 red)? At least I didn't notice anything that could be.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.