1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk's Race/Stats?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Geoff, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] So I tried to make a DG Monk, but I had great difficulty with his stats. I needed DEX and WIS to be high (obviously), mediocre INT (for Expertise and skills), mediocre (10 to 12) STR and CON, and 1 CHA. I found I didn't have enough skill points. I've got 10-20-12-13-18-1. I'd prefer more STR and INT.

As a Tiefling, I can get these stats : 13-20-12-14-18-1, which I like much more. However, I won't get the deep gnome's magic resistance, or the deep gnome's +4 dodge bonus. (Regarding dodge bonuses, do they stack with deflection bonuses? If I get +4 dodge from a gnome, is that really much of a help?)

As a drow, I could get stats of 13-20-10-14-18-5, which is better than the DG, but slightly worse than the Tiefling (I don't care about CHA). Being a drow would give me spell resistance, which is a benefit over the tiefling, but not over the DG.

Skills that I am looking at pumping up:
    Knowledge (Arcana) (To save some skills for my sorcerer)
    Hide
    Move Silently
    Open Lock
    (Extras into various theif skills, such as search/disable device/pick pockets)

Any advice? Thanks a bunch! :)

[ June 20, 2005, 02:04: Message edited by: Geoff ]

2. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The DG's racial dodge AC bonus stacks with everything else. It even stacks with the Dodge feat.

If you are going to be a full time DG Monk, I dont think I can help with that. The best I could get as far as getting high AC was with stats of 9-20-10-14-20-1. Obiously low on HP and damage power, but very useful as a tank/sheild.

Frankly, the Monk Wis bonus to AC is just as good as leather armor + sheild AC, atleast initially. If your party is of low levels, how often are you going to be able to throw a Mage Armor on him?

I am currently playing a party including a DG Illusionist with stats of 8-20-14-18-12-2. The party is in the Ice Temple right now and the DG is doing quite fine. Later with the availablility of Spirit Armor and Ring of the Wise from Kuldahar, a monk will definately be able to reach higher levels of AC. Till then, I dont think I will need to give my DG any monk levels.

3. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Thanks for the insight, Shrikant.
    Based on what you said about the DG's racial bonus, I'm definately going to use a DG, even if it means having lower damage/hit points.

4. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

DG monk1/cle1/rogue1/rang1/illX makes great scout/ target. Duel wield for some damage even with low Str.

5. Alice Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Open lock is just unecessary...you can always bash things open...

6. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

But traps can be a pain.

7. Alice Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

not really...traps do barely any damage, aside from Beodawn's (sp?) trap that gives you animal rage...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.