1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Highly unusual characters

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Khazraj, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] What would be your version of a highly unusual character. Try to avoid powergaming or regular sterotypes, such as dwarf fighter, h-orc barbarian. I want to make a party of very odd characters. The more "roleplyerish" the better.

I think that a half-orc sorcerer would fit the description.

Suggestions?

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

So what you're looking for is basically a group of freaks from faerun? ;)

Gnomish Barbarian, wielding a big axe :)
    Halfling Monk (he'd be solely kicking and punching at people's groins, making him very effective ;) )
    Halforc Druid. Unlike the rest of his kin, this orc likes to hug trees :p

3. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Dwarf Wizard. Or even sorcerer. Try to imagine dwarf, who arcane magic.
    Half-orc Bard, who likes to sing ballads in taverns. :lol:
    Tiefling Paladin. Paladin with demonic blood. What else can I say? :p
    Dwarf Silverstar of Selune.

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Aassimar CE Barbarian - Talk about breaking the normals here.

A Drow paladin

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Bhaalspawn!

7. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

drow druid?

half-orc wizard/paladin

8. chevalier

Media:
    Single class paladin with 16 int.

9. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

halfling paladin...

10. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Thanks guys, if you think of any others then post them here.

11. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

how bout an aasimar dreadmaster of bane?
    i wish we could cross races...
    a gold elf crossed with dwarf.. oompa loompa! :lol: :lol: :lol:

12. chevalier

Media:
    4 INT / 20 WIS - oracle always in hypnotic trance

18 CON Wild-Elf, 18 DEX Shield-Dwarf - it's allowed :D

Moon-Elf barbarian

Drow morninglord, heheh. Needs sunglasses for casting domain spells :D

Painbearer of Ilmater or paladin of Ilmater with 4-6 CON. It's not even funny :( By the way, I wonder how many min-maxers have paladins of Mystra with min INT...

Wild-Elf wizard would give some reasonable roleplaying experience. Despite the race's -2 int penalty he always wanted to go to the Academy. There won't be any problem with spell accessibility if you increase int every 4 levels. At level 16 you'll have the 20 to cast 9th level spells you won't yet have.

Tiefling sorc, duergar sorc: one big jest.

Deep gnome sorc: -4 CHA, +3 ECL. Need I say more?

13. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

What about multiclass characters like Paladin/Rogue, Barbarian/Wizard and Bard/Monk. They could also quite interesting to play.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Paladin/rogue normally would end up crippled fighter/rogue. If you leave the pickpocket skill aside, you could just raise the paladin's int and get him the skills, especially if he's plain human instead of Aasimar. He doesn't really need his own core skills, you know, unless his the party's talker. Search + disable device is a basic (for a human 2 skills will go with min int even for powergamers). Lockpicking could be done by no-fail knock (?) spell, esp. if a sorc has that.

15. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Urgahzi. Dwelfs are my favourite DND race actually... ;)

16. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

dwelf? :confused:

17. ak47 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

It seems to me that a half-elven anything would be an 'unusual character'. Nobody seems to get for a half elf out of choice - mainly because other races have better bonuses and benefits. I guess it depends on the definition of unusual being used. You could take it as being using a races whose racial attribute weaknesses screams madness in the face of the character choice eg. deep gnome or duegar paladin with minimal charisma. For me, an unusual character would not have balanced stats without any attribute less than 10 and be balanced multiclass (eg, fighter 5/druid 5).

18. chevalier

Media:
    Uneven multiclassing is not unbalanced. It's just a different build, different focus. Sometimes 8 cha is justifiable (esp. combined with a similar soundset), other stats probably less often. Female elven wizard has three reasons to be low on CON :D for example. Panzer Kampfwagen dwarves may well be handicapped in DEX and CHA. Less likely in INT and definitely not likely in WIS. Half-ocs are obvious, but human fighters don't often reach 10 INT or WIS either.

I would say that some min-maxes are not far from rping. I suppose a fanatic rp-er would enjoy the experience derived from running such a character over a 'statistically probable' build. I would also say that perfect normality is the most insane thing of all, paraphrasing the Roman saying 'Summum ius suprema iniuria' - Utmost law is utmost injustice.

19. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

-A halfling rogue/monk with minimal strength. He pokes you in the pressure points when you're not looking. It hurts a lot.

-A dwarven barbarian with minimial dexterity and wisdom. He trips and stubs his toes on rocks, corpses, and small insects during battle.

-A chaotic evil aasimar sorcerer with minimal wisdom. A pyromaniac zealot. "Cyric's holy fire! Cyric's holy fire! Muahahaha! Burn! Burn! Buuuurrrn!"

-A half-orc ranger with minimal intelligence and dexterity and maximum strength. Make sure that he is not proficient in anything he is wielding. "Me slash! Me cut! Ow! Not self!"

-A drow ranger that dual-wields scimitars. That idea is soo cool.

(I admit I've never played Icewind Dale II before, but I assume it's fairly close to 3E rules :p .)

[ March 06, 2003, 00:13: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

20. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Urgahzi. Gold elf mother, dwarf father = "dwelf" a dwarf + elf! This is just a half-elf variation anyway. Do you remember Tanis Half-elven from Dragonlance?

C'Jakob. Oh no! I meant unusual and playable, not unusual and...unusually useless... ;)

I really liked the drow ranger suggestion. I only need a name. Can you help me out?... :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.