1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

another new party topic...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Steeze, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Steeze Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] i'm making a new party, i'm thinking a 4 man, maybe 5... could i get some feedback?

Half-orc: fighter(?)/cleric of ???
    Aasimer: paladin(2)/sorcerer(X)
    Half-elf: druid
    ???: rogue/bard(?)

1st char: not sure if i should go fighter or barbarian, and not sure what lvl i should cut it off at, and not sure what deity cleric i should have.

last char: not sure what race and not sure about the class, i think i want a bard in there...

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My 2 cents worth:

1) I think 4 man is an ideal party size for this game
    2) You might be light on pure tanking ability. I personally find it usually helps to have one dedicated warrior type in your party for dealing with tough enemies that need physical damage. With this in mind, I would probably make either your druid or your fighter/cleric into a more focused warrior like a Fighter 4 / Barbarian X
    3) A rogue / bard would have to be Human, Half Elf, or Halfling to avoid XP penalties, unless you plan to keep the rogue and bard levels equal

3. Steeze Gems: 10/31

thanks HB, but what do you think of the rogue/bard combo?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Rogue / Bard combo is OK, especially as it is not really necessary to have a full time character in either of these classes. This character could sing during battles and do the usual Rogue stuff when not in battles. This character could also learn lesser used spells to save having the Sorcerer learn them. Take a Rogue level first to benefit from the extra skill points.

5. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Half elf druid is a waste, only benefit is resistants to sleep, boring. Take ahuman for extra feat, or asimar for higher Wis. Or drow for MR and special abilities. My favorite is deep gnome monk/ druid. Great shape shifting focus, big AC.

6. atman Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

And what levels did you reach by the end of the game?
    I played for a while party with deep gnome rogue/illusionist, and he gained levels so slowly i thought he'll never reach higher levels.

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Well a gnome wont be getting far in a 6 member party. Smaller parties lead to stronger charecters.
    And you dont need to have all the charecters step off the wicked wench. You can add them along the way. Start off with one or two and then add others later on when you feel you are not getting enough XP. You will find your self dealing with much stronger charecters; and enemies.

8. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, I went with a human Monk 1/Druid X. The one level of Monk gave him Evasion, and a good AC bonus (which only got better as I improved his Wisdom), while the Druid levels gave him good spells and decent melee abilities. You don't need much strength if you're relying on spells like Flame Blade for your melee damage, and you get Bull's Strength soon enough. It makes for a pretty formidable character.

9. Steeze Gems: 10/31

one more question... i usually two parties going at once on each game, so that if i get stuck i can have a break to the other one, so i'm asking what you think would be a better party, a solo deep-gnome monk or a deep-gnome monk with a gold dwarf cleric along side him?

by better i'm mean, stronger/easier

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

The second.
    You wont be that far off in levels due to CR. And an extra pair of hands never hurt.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.