1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ultra-slow game in parts

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Hommser, May 18, 2005.

1. Hommser Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Anyone else have a problem with massive slowdowns in parts of the game where there is a lot on the screen in the way of clouds/web spells/magic missiles, etc...?

I don't think it's my PC, it's a 2400+ with a 9600XP (basically a system made a couple of years after the game).

It makes the game effectively unplayable, you can barely move the mouse, and you get only about a frame or two per second.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. Hommser Gems: 1/31

I think I tried that one, my problems aren't really area specific, just any time spells such as cloudkill are on the screen...

If it isn't a common problem I might look into other stuff like drivers, etc...

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Perhaps your RAM is not upto speed. One of my RAM sticks went bust and I didn't really notice until games started dithering.

Lower the graphics options a bit. Spell area effects are really graphic intensive. That may help.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

yeah, what Taluntain said. There is a bug, especially in the Goblin warrens that slows things down ridiculously, but it is fixable. The patch changes the frequency with which the game checks certain conditions (I think).

6. Shire Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Turning the graphs down help. I have the same in both IWD and IWD2 (2400+, 9800pro) with area and cloud spells, especially area fire spells in IWD.

7. konny666 Gems: 4/31

He is not referring to the bug that's fixed by Extremist's patch... he's referring to the "general slowness" that happens when a lot of NPC's or visual effects are on the screen at once.

I've seen it too, and in these particular situations, IWD2 is slower than ToEE!

There's really nothing that can be done about it.
    I have a feeling the problem is less serious on NVidia Geforce video cards though.

A really bad place with this problem is:
    (spoiler)
    The 5 point star you need to "draw" in order to get into the wizard's tower at the Severed Hand.
    Check your framerate right before you "draw" the last line... it should be below 10fps, and your mouse should be as slow as molasses.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've never encountered this problem. My characters must be too good at roasting enemies quickly for me to ever notice. :D ;)

My Neverwinter Nights runs far more slowly than my Icewind Dale II.

9. Hommser Gems: 1/31

Yeah, this is very strange, just been trying to defeat Chapotek (or whatever) the dragon, and it is completely unplayable...

My system is several times faster than the recommended system, and the effects are turned down, but I still get only a couple of frames a second and the mouse drags so far behind me moving it that it is impossible to use.

Grrr.... just ordered Baldur's Gate II as well, hope it isn't as unbearable to play.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, what you can try is turning the resolution down to 640x480, and turn all the special graphics effects off for such areas. It should help somewhat.

11. konny666 Gems: 4/31

Yeah, from what I've heard in this thread and elsewhere it seems that this problem only occurs on certain video card/OS/DirectX combinations.

For example, any ATI card 9500 or better + Windows XP SP1,SP2 + DirectX 9.0 + recent video card drivers

seems to exhibit the slow graphics problem.

Whereas your older computer which uses a Geforce3, Windows 2000, and video drivers from 2002 won't exhibit the problem.

(Meanwhile, when it comes to NWN, both computers are opposite in terms of performance... go figure)

Hommser,

This problem doesn't seem to occur in BG2. I think it's because BG2 actually used a better graphics engine (which used OpenGL acceleration!).
    BG2 has better graphics than IWD2 as well... it truly is the King of all Infinity Engine games. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.