1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need help with black raven tomb

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Velete, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Velete Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] having trouble defeating these iron golems so i was wondering if anyone would share their strategy? , its a bit embarresing really - ive never had a party member die before and suddenly im being slaughterd:(

party is:
    Cleric (11)
    Fighter (12)
    Rogue (12)
    Ranger (12)
    Druid (12)
    Sorceror (12)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You do not have to kill the Iron Golems.

3. Velete Gems: 1/31

i know that but i havent skipped out on any kills yet and im presuming they give good exp?

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Get better weapons in the underdark and come back.

5. Quicksylver Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Right. I understand not wanting to back down from a fight, but there's nothing dishonorable about better equipping yourself for it. Like Mathetais said, the underdark will give you the chance to get some better stuff (and higher levels).

6. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I had a Cleric with Raise Dead and Resurrection spells, so all I did was run around trying to get one Golem isolated work on it until it poison gassed me or the other Golems came. Then I ran away again.

It's seems cheesy and hard, but it worked.

7. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Use all your buff spells on your fighter.
    Position your rogue on the narrow stairway leading to the exit.

Have your cleric, druid and sorcerer not too far behind.

With your hasted fighter, open the chest, and run back to the stairs, past the rogue.

When the golems are closing in, cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on the rogue. If you're lucky, some golems with have shifted target and are now going for the invulnerable rogue. Even if they don't, the rogue is still preventing the golems from surrounding your fighter (only two abreast can move up that stairway).

Move your fighter next to the rogue and start wacking at the golems.

Use your spell-casters to renew buff spells and heal the fighter as needed.

8. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I got the better of the iron golems in the end with mass haste, stoneskin and half a dozen other spells that boost your stats. I still lost half the party though. Man, they're tough!

9. underthewronghat Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

[​IMG] One of my favorite tricks to pull on enemies who hit really hard is to get the thing(s) to target someone, then have that character evade (run away). While the targeted character is evading I have untargeted characters attack the thing(s). Missile weapons help this strategy a lot. When the things(s) switch targets, I switch which charcters are evading and which are attacking. The program's AI is slow enough that you can usually keep from getting trapped. Of course, the iron golems make this sort of strategy a bit more difficult by emitting the poison gas clouds all over the place, but when I fought 'em I only lost one character (the thief).

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The Iron Golem fight is a bit of a favourite with everyone because it is one of the ones that requires the most strategic thinking. As you can see, people have had fun working out the best ways to take them down and have come up with a variety of tactics. In addition to the points mentioned above you can steadily retreat to the Underdark exit and go through the door when you're almost dead - then come back when you've healed. However, the Golems heal as well in this time, so this plan only works if you can kill one of the Golems each time before retreating. Once they are down to 1 or 2, it becomes easier. Make sure you have at least a +3 weapon or you'll never damage them at all.

11. Sen Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] My tactic on defeating them would be to use the ledge just opposite to the entrance.
    I would place all of my characters except my tank there and arm them with missile
    weapons (+3 arrows/bolts/bullets and sure striking arrows/bullets).
    Summon a couple of zombie lords to accompany the tank.
    Buff up all characters (Bull's strength, cat's grace, bless, prayer etc)
    Don't forget to stoneskin/improve invis. your tank and also the Zombies
    (The zombie lords have a 10/- crushing resistance and with stoneskin - would
    have a 20/+5 resistance to the Golem's attack. Also I think that they are immune
    to their poison gas)
    Place the zombies near the entrance and have your tank open the tomb - and immediately
    move him to near the entrance of the platform. The other characters from the ledge can
    attack the golems - one at a time and your tank can also join the fray (gulping potions
    of healing time to time)

12. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I put the entire party at the entrance to the underdark, summoned all of the undead and other creatures that I could, and lined them all up in front of the party...

I then equipped each of my party members with ranged weapons with greater than +3 enchantment

my rogue then went and unlocked and looted the tomb, and ran back to the rest of the party.

once the golems arrived, they ran into the wall of undead, and my party concentrated their ranged attacks on one golem at a time.

I believe that I killed 2 of the golems with ranged weapons before the undead were destroyed... so then it was my party (5 char) against only 2 iron golems.

My two characters capable of tanking then engaged one golem in melee, while the rest of the party continued to bombard it with ranged attacks

then once that golem was killed, the entire party destroyed the last iron golem.

I believe I needed to use one heal spell on my main tank, and none of the other party members ever went under half of their hit points.

I had also already completed the battlesquares, though, so I had some +5 arrows/bolts to use, as well as the brilliant short sword, throwing axe of shocking burst, and the mace of disruption available as weapons...

I think the golems have something like 50/+2 dmg resistance, so you need +3 weapons to even hurt them

the treasure is minor, the real reward is the exp from killing the golems... my party was probably at an avg level of 12.5, and the party got something like 2700 exp for each golem.

13. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Interesting that you mention battle squares. I came back after battle squares to finish them off, not having played all of the battle squares my first time through. It made a *huge* difference, partly because of the higher levels of my party members and partly because of the nice kit you win.

Has anyone ever killed these golems without doing battle squares first? Or without coming back after finishing the underdark quests? Just curious. I really wonder what is the minimum level at which it's possible to win this battle.

14. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This may be off the subject but "underthewronghat" reminded me how I defeated the guardian. I expected to take hours but it took 1/2 hr real time. I surrounded the altar with my two fighters in the front. For some reason the dragon fixed on my tank and pretty much ignored everyone else. All I had to do was keep him alive.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I was able to kill the golems without completing battle square or going to the Underdark. Although, I did do enough battle square to get the mace of disruption.

My technique was very similar to some of the others. I used quite a few animate dead. The thing that did the trick for me was I was able to convince three of the golems to chase after my two sorcerers. While my other four party members pounded on the last one. The true difficulty was making the sorcerers run fast enough, far enough, and often enough to avoid the golems. After one went down the rest of my party concentrated on the solo golem targeting one of the sorcerers. Once it was gone getting rid of the final two wasn't that difficult as my tanks (with help from the cleric) could survive the damage of two golems whereas they couldn't survive the damage of all four.

Now that I have finished the mind flayers I'm going back to try and finish the battle square. I have no idea how it is possible to beat battle square in HOF mode as I'm running out of time to kill them some of the demons already (when I can't disrupt them).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.