1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The "I Hate NWN" Faction for IWD2

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Mathetais, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mathetais, I am with you :evil:

I have the super-computer to play NWN and the money but I won't buy it for these reasons:
    I want to play Single player
    and
    I like 2D.

So count on me.

IWD2 is a fantastic game, far better than NWN

2. Atreides Gems: 7/31

Like some of the others that have posted above I velieve that IWD2 and NWN are good in their own ways. I posted this concern on another board before but I feel compelled to post it again:
    The only thing that worries me is that people will overlook the great game that IWD2 is shaping up to be because it is using 2D graphics and isn't as fancy as say NWN or that cursed game Morrowind.

3. Ravenstar1836 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I must say that I agree about the avatars; they do look unfinished. At first, I thought that it was just my computer (which barely meets the requirements) but when a friend of my got the game, the avatars were only marginally better. The man owns a computer shop and has a computer that would make Disney envious.

So now I ask: Did they sacrifice too much for the 3d effects and the roving camera?

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I finished NWN today, and now I'm desperately waiting for IWD-2, counting the days ... :( oh well :( NWN was sweet - 3e multiclassing and combats system and spells - great - and the graphics, especially mirroring and light effects were excellent, storyline linear but all right - even though most quest were of the fed-ex type. Some of the riddles and ideas all over the game were reall neat and there were actually quite a lot of quests to do. Int and wis based conversation options are a great achievement of NWN, and the persuade skill also is great.

But there were a few weaknesses, the worst disadvantage of NWN were the crap-AI henchmen and they are the reason why I really look forward to IWD-2:
    I will have full control over my flexible, well composed party of 6 chars. I can equip and develop them however I need and like them best. They will not run ( :rolleyes: even though you told them to stay where they are :rolleyes: ) into combat only to die because the enemies are vastly superior ....

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited July 21, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't play NWN because my BRAND NEW computer doesn't meet the spec. Sods law, new computer + new game = New video card

I play it on BCs' computer, played for a total of one hour, level ten, got Tomi and done his quest and am just about to complete chapter one :rolling:

Anyway - IWD!, IWD!, IWD!

I am definatly getting it! Whatever happens!

(If at first I don't succeed try another parent/friend/relative)

6. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I've never played Icewind Dale one but I will probably play two because it sounds so cool, but I will also fiddle around with NWN.

7. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Mathetais, I shall join yee noble cause! I did the same thing as Faerus Stoneslammer and my BLASTED computer wouldn't support it! Besides, I don't like 3D computer games, and I love the IWD, and BG graphics and such.

So long live yee most noble cause, and long live IWD2!

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :o NWN singleplayer bores me. NWN multiplayer is not yet an option. BG-2 bores me. I want IWD-2. NOW! :mad: :mad: :flaming:

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"I want IWD-2. NOW!"

I second this statment.

10. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I also cannot play NWN because of my lousy video card so I'm with you all the way Mat.

I :love: IWD II.

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Bought NWN. Started it up. Had to lower all the graphics just to make it run at a pace where it was playable. Still massive slowdown. How can this be? I have a 32 mb graphics card, 256 mb ram, full install, and my computer is only 50 mhz below the recommend. I'd hate to try and play it on the bare mimimums.

When i finally got it to work, it took me a mere half an hour to realise that the single-player sucked! So i loaded up the toolest. Me lovy toolset but no likey the rest of the game (don't know bout multi, only got a crappy dial-up).

I want IWD2 NOW!!!! :cry: :cry:

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Look, I bet there is no person in the whole world that hates that result of overhyped marketing more than me, but...

But instead of whining, why don't you make a new singleplayer campaign that won't suck? You have the toolset.
    I know from BG2 that Bioware can't write a decent AI script, but what stops you from making such? Also for lacks of story ideas, hey, if they don't have ideas, you most certainly do!

And get serious. RPGs were never about super graphics. That's FPS' domain. In FPS there is no need for a story so the time needed to make a game is wasted on graphic effects. In RPG if there is no story, then it's not enjoyable RPG. Make one!
    Aurora sucks, I know that, but who cares? You bought it, why wouldn't you use it then? Give other people who bought NWN just for singleplayer campaign something to enjoy.

And just one more lil' note: the "I hate NWN" faction can't nor doesn't belong to IWD2 future players. There are lots of other games' players who feel deceived by NWN's singleplayer campaign. Regardless someone's saying that it's not so bad as it looks, I don't think it's so good as was forced through David Gaider's interviews and forum posts.
    So my suggestion actually is that instead of throwing every kind of frustration on NWN, you just make a singleplayer campaign that is called "I hate NWN" and then you just incorporate inside murdering of everyone from Bioware who is guilty for turning you down with NWN. I assure you, such mod would be the most popular NWN mod on the net! :evil:

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Extremist - Although i did not say it in my post i love the toolset because it's allowing me to take the game away from where it was put. In the game there was to much hack and slash (perhaps i did not play far enoguh into it). Since i got it, 4 days ago, i've made about 10 modules (and downloaded many more) for test purposes. Im currently making my first serious module/campaign which is going to have as little hack and slash as possible. I'm doing my best to make it as story driven as possible. The prelude/prologue is already done. I'm currently working on the first main portion of the game where what you say is the most important thing while you try to live in this town without the inhabitants realisin your real purpose (play my module and you shalt know what this is).

14. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

LMFAO!

15. Sirdan Gems: 7/31

[​IMG]
    /me thinks that this is spam

/me thinks spam is not good :p :D :evil:
    [Methinks spam pointing out other spam is worse - BTA]

[/me agrees with BTA :D :rolleyes: ]

[ August 04, 2002, 21:01: Message edited by: Sirdan ]

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

"it took me a mere half an hour to realise that the single-player sucked!"

Yeah. That's what happened to me too.

There was some game a couple of years ago that I played with a 3d engine similiar; you could rotate the camera. Wizards and Warriors?

And all the walls and archs get in the way so you can't see what's going on.

Bioware was sweating everyone getting tired of their engine, so they came up with a new one. But I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I *liked* being able to choose scripts. I *liked* having to purchase spells and memorize them. I hate having to constantly rotate the camera or hold down tab, just to see where the enemies are. I really hate not being able to scroll the game-screen. The map is a nice feature. I wish they would have expanded the dialogue screens to a larger portion of the screen.

The only thing I have to say; actually, the only thing I was thinking while I've been trying out NwN, is...

"Thank God IwD2 is 2D"

(yes, it's old. yes, 3D looks cooler. But, I can tell what's going on, and who's doing what, in 2D; which is, in part, precisely what D&D is all about)

[edit: Currently, Nwn is no longer residing on my hard disk. The diablo2 expansion is what I've moved to, which in terms of 3d engines, is a step up; at least I can *see* the enemy without having to rotate the camera.

Nwn (heck, even IwD2) would have rocked with an isometric view like Diablo2's. It's 3d; there's textures. But you can concentrate on crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you, etc... without having to fiddle around with the camera *all the time*.]

[ August 04, 2002, 16:02: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

17. Elendil Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Count me in. Viva la Revolucion!!

18. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

I'm with you guy's, my computer can "barely" play NWN and that sucks....

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I can't say I *hate* NWN, but I lost interest and finally stopped playing in the middle of chapter 3. I tried to love it, really I did! But it just wasn't PST, BG, IWD, or for that matter Arcanum. Did anyone else feel like a traitor to Gamedom for not loving the long-awaited Game to End All Games?

I'll definitely join any "Can't wait for IWD2" club though...

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

The 3rd edition rules throw me off quite a bit, but I think with a little time, I can get used to them.

And yeah; I'm let down by NwN quite a bit. I feel like I'm some freak of nature because everyone else is ranting about it, but I can't seem to get into it. Clumsy, one way or another (either the game, or me).

I almost wish that they had included two game engines with NwN; a 3d and a 2d one. I think I could get into it if it used the Infinity...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.