1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Favourite Cleric Domain

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Good to see Silverstars are loved by some other people too. :)

2. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Watcher of Helm. Because I always plan my advance for HoF. IMHO watchers are the best at their job in HoF, where buffs are a must. Not to mention that I can take a few levels of paladin.

3. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

I loved my Dreadmaster...

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So Tempus rules according to the poll, right now. What is so special about his domians? I agree it fits a barbarian/fighter MC combo very well though.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Oh, that's an easy one. Tempus is winning because we get bigger axes than everyone else. When it comes to axes, size really does matter.

6. Dangerface Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Tempus- just because I'm an IWD1 junkie and I like my clerics to be better fighters than they usually are.

7. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Meh, Tempus is overrated. Your "two free feats" are just weapon feats for a specific weapon. Sure, take him if you're in love with axes. You could also go play a fighter instead :p

Some people are too caught up with domain spells. They are a nice bonus, but just a bonus -- 80% of your spell slots are your normal cleric spells. And quite a few of the domain spells are junk. AND, no matter how nice your domain spells, they can each only be cast once. Unless you are the type of player who rests multiple times per map, you'll have to build your cleric strategy around bread-and-butter cleric spells.

A similar criticism applies to many of the abilities -- they can only be used once per day. Talos does not have "+2 to damage"; he has +2 to damage *once* per day, and it might not even last the whole battle. Again, if you want to rest after every single battle, this limit doesn't matter.

Now, despite what I said about domains, Talos *does* have a pretty sweet selection. Most of them are nice arcane blasting spells; it's like having 1/5th of a wizard tagging along to help out with the big battles.

Anyway, Bane wins, because the +2 WIS bonus outweighs everything the other clerics have. It really isn't fair, especially since it has nothing to do with domain abilities, but instead is the arbitrary result of a quest.

8. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Yes I agree, Tempus is waaaaaay overrated :D

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Lorekeeper of Oghma for me. Free Identify is great. But agree with JT's comments that the domain abilities are a small part of the cleric picture.

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Does it make it all worth it HB, the identify spell :lol:

11. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Helm's my favorite deity, but Painbearer of Ilmater, for me, I can multiclass my paladin into one.

12. Windrunner Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I must admit, I tend to use good and neutral members only, so Lathander's my favorite for that fiery wrath of God type of feeling. Some of those domain spells are very sweet, plus Lathander's Renewal can be a real godsend.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Oghma has other more useful domain spells as well, $ilvershield, like Symbols and the ever dreadful WoB. I can understand that symbols fit in the theme of Oghma, but why WoB, I will never know. It fits Talos best:the massive destruction and wave of death!

Sigh, Tempus is the winner, it seems. :(

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Of course we Battleguards are winning. As I said, we have big axes!

I don't think WoB really fits either Oghma or Talos, but that could be just me.

15. Fly2tHeSkY

Oh I didn't know WoB is part of Oghma's spells! I retake my previous statement Silver!

I don't understand why Oghma has WoB but I can understand Talos, as he was one crazy ass god and a lot of disasters occur because of him :p WoB is a good reflection, even if it isn't an electrical spell :D

16. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Oghma is the patron god of Bards, now who can "wail" more than the god of bards ?

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Don't underestimate the importance of Identify! In a low Intelligence party, it's a godsend!

18. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

GO Selune, it's your birthday. We're gonna party like it's your birthday...

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    ...And you know we don't give a duck. It's not your birthday!

20. Fly2tHeSkY

:lol: Daie!

Selune has the Elemental Legion spell yeah?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.