1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

All-quest party?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Koki, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hello, my nickname is Koki and I'm a natural munchkin...

Introductions out of the way, I want to finish IWD at so called 100%. This means all quests should be done, all items should be collected, and all monsters killed. While the last two are easily doable, the first one is tricky.

IWD2 was imprved(Over BG) in a way that some quests depend on race/class/statistics. So, what I want to know, is what races and classes I have to include in my party to be able to do all quests in the game.

Another trick is, I never finished IWD2, mainly because I'm a perfectionist(Terrible trait, believe me) and I just can't leave Targos without beating Guthewulfe at drinking for that measly 300xp, and he won't play with my 20CON Dwarf, etc. So, if you can, please keep the spoilers low(Even though I really doubt the game has much to surprise me with in terms of the main quest, as at the last playthrough I got to the meeting with, uh, Siblings).

In example, to 100% Targos you need to have in your party:

- Someone with healing ability for Craig's arm
    - Someone with 18CON to beat Guthewulfe
    - Someone with high bluff/diplomacy/Intimidate for Phaen, inspiring recruits, convincing Caulden, scaring Niles, tricking Tabard, convincing Deirdre, convincing Iron Collar
    - A Cleric for blessing the recruits
    - A Fighter for instructing the recruits

And so on. Up to it?

2. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

It has been a couple of years since last playthrough. AFAIK a char with high int is also required to get all xp from Targos, but someone may correct me. I don't remember whom it was but ...

3. zerox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Only 16 con is needed for Guthewulfe, i just did it with my own party. And as for high int i think your refering to the quest with the myrkul priest giving you the message from the dead goblin, you need either a dwarf, halfling, drow or a char with a high int (16) to get a rough message, having both race and int gets you a complete message if i remeber right. If you really want to get info on all the do-able quests and what they need i'd suggest universal hint system webpage for icewind dale 2, http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/iwdale2.php
    you can get as little or as much info as you want on the quests and there are minimal story spoilers.

[ February 24, 2007, 00:00: Message edited by: zerox ]

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I think Targos is covered there.

AFAIK, for the rest of the game, you need:

1) somebody with a high Alchemy skill.
    2) somebody with a high INT
    3) a Paladin
    4) a Monk
    5) a Cleric of Bane
    6) a Transmuter

Good luck!

5. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

A good party would be:
    cleric of bane
    transmuter with alchemy, (1 point in pick pocket for one extra note in targos)
    One paladin/monk
    One sorcerer with all talking skills. (at least almost pure sorcerer needed for a small task).

At least one of them should be a dwarf/DG/drow (preferebly drow for extra talking options)

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You left out the Bard, one should never leave out the Bard.

Not only in Targos but later on in the game (many Bards only items).

In the Wandering Village you'll need a Bard and a (10 level) Sorcerer in the Black Raven Monastery a (at least 8 level IIRC) Monk.

In the Horde Forteresse a Half Orc will get some special dialogue options.

7. Da Rock Gems: 5/31

You also need a Painbearer of Ilmater (in roughly the same place as the Dreadmaster and Paladin).

I don't know if it gives XP, but you may also need a Duergar for crafting a "magic" weapon.

8. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I'm not so sure whether it's really possible to create a party that can cover all of the various mini-quest/dialog options in the game.

9. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps with some very heavy multiclassing. Having for instance at least one cleric level for various characters, one transmuter level for another one, one bard level, one paladin level, a full time sorcerer and an almost full time monk...

10. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    This isn't a console RPG where it keeps track of what % you complete. This game was designed with those kind of considerations in mind, so there are mututally exclusive quests.

Perhaps your goal should be "gain the maximum amount of xp from quests possible".

11. Koki Gems: 5/31

jRPGs also don't (usually) keep track of % complete. This can be applied to any game, even, I dunno, Doom or something.

It really seems to be impossible to do all of them though... which isn't that bad - "If the outcome is the same no matter what you do, you are free to do what you want", as they say. So I'll just make a team I like.

Oh, and thanks for the replies.

12. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Most of the time, you have more fun creating a party that you like rather than a super party with no correct roleplaying attributes anyway..

13. Shadow Mage Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

In Targos there are actually two groups of recruits that can be blessed/inspired. You can do both groups just not with the same character, and it does not have to be a cleric. I had my cleric bless one group while the bard inspired the other and I got XP for each.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.