1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Give your fighter 1 Monk level

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Quint, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you have a Lawful fighter, give him a single level in Monk. You won't regret it.

You get for free:
    - Evasion ( which a fighter can't normally get )
    - Stunning Attacks
    - +2 Fortitude, +2 Reflex, +2 Will

All great additions that help the fighter a great deal.

Even a Paladin can use these!! (But you must start with a monk, then switch to Paladin).
    Or any fighter or even non-fighter type!

[ November 04, 2002, 01:38: Message edited by: Quint ]

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Sounds great. If you did this though, you would not be able to get more than 1 level of monk?

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Would a paladin get the Wisdom bonus to AC as well?

4. Quint Gems: 8/31

@Khazraj:
    You're correct, but one level of monk is enough.

@Belisarius:
    Paladin would get the Wisdom bonus to AC, but only if not wearing any armor or carrying a shield (unlnikely).

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

hmm...my rouge has 1 level of bard & 1 of ranger ...

maybe give her 1 of monk next?

Since Rouge is the perferred class, she won't get any exp penalties ...

hmmmmmm

6. Captain Carnage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah but my monk easily has the best armor class of all my characters for most of the game so maybe it would prove useful not to wear armor for a while. ;)

[ November 04, 2002, 23:30: Message edited by: Captain Carnage ]

7. Quint Gems: 8/31

@Captain Carnage:
    A Paladin can wear heavy armor that gives him around +10 to AC. If you want to throw away his armor, then he must have a total DEX plus WIS bonus greater than +10 for it to be worthwhile. It could be difficult for a Paladin to have such a high DEX, since he probably needs it more in STR to do more damage. Plus a Paladin needs a relatively high CHA too (for saving throw bonuses and turn undead), which makes it even less probable he'll have so many spare points to put in DEX.

A Rogue would probably have a high DEX, but perhaps not so much WIS to make up for what a studded leather +2 armor can give him in Armor AC bonus (+4 or +5).

Plus both the Paladin and the Rogue are probably carrying a shield, which complicates matters even further, and makes it unlikely that they will want to give up their armor and shield to benefit from their monk's WIS bonus to AC.

@Mathetais:
    Your Rogue gets Evasion and Improved Evasion automatically, so that makes it less interesting for him (but the saving throw bonuses could help if that's what you're looking for).

[ November 05, 2002, 02:28: Message edited by: Quint ]

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    All these concerns as (a) no AC bonus with armor and (b) no fast movement with armor (not even with robes) eventually convinced me it is better to add a few (4 actually) thief levels instead of one monk level:
    The results of 4 rogue levels were greatly enhanced conversational abilities (bluff/ diplomacy/ intimidate), 2d6 sneak attack damage for a fighter using greatswords :shake: , improved reflex saves, evasion and uncanny dodge.

PS: Does a pally get a wis-based AC bonus ??! I always thought this was monk-uunique ... and further: Isn't the pally's saving throw bonus wis-based ??! ... and forth: doesn't a pally's charisma only effect his lay-on hands, conversations and eventually turn undead ??!

9. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The paladin's divine grace feat gives them a saving throw bonus equal to their charisma modifier. The higher charisma you got the higher saving throws you get.(for example you receive +4 to your saving throws with a cha of 18)

10. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks for clarification, I overlooked that and I eventually found it in my PHB. Must have still been in the 2e world of mysteries :shake:

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Sounds very nice but isn't the typical/best "tank" a F-4/Barbarian? Doesn't adding a monk level to that mean you get a xp penalty?

12. Suker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There is a difference between the improved evasion of a monk and that of a rogue.

The monk acquires it automatically when level up. The rogue has to chose to spend a feat on it when it becomes available at Lvl 10.

However, it seems to me that you get as a rogue a bonus feat at that level to compensate for that anyway. Can anybody confirm this?

13. Quint Gems: 8/31

Hi Ragusa. The discussion about monk AC came up because Belisarius suggested that this was one of the monk's advantages. I'm just arguing that, in the context of this thread, the monk AC bonus from WIS should probably not be listed as a bonus from getting your fighter 1 monk level, because he can't really benefit from it. That's why I didn't list it.

But this in no way invalidates the remaining advantages I listed. If you get 1 level of monk, you get the equivalent of *five* feats for free, one of which (Evasion), isn't even available as a feat!
    This is with just ONE level, and you don't have to dilute your fighter with several Rogue levels (and lose on attack bonuses).

[ November 05, 2002, 13:53: Message edited by: Quint ]

14. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mathetais, even if your favored class is rouge, it only works with two classes not three (not that I know anyway, that's what happened to my dwarf).

Sure a monk class has it's goods but look at the sense it makes. A dwarven or halfling fighter/monk makes no sense at all. It may be good, but for the sake of story line it doesn't fit. If you want to go ahead, just my opinion.

[ November 06, 2002, 02:28: Message edited by: Rolsuk Fryulee ]

15. Ragusa

Media:
    The evasion feat of the monk/ rogue is pretty pointless when you intend to beef up an armored fighter: Wearing more than leather disables it. I tried out yesterday with an armored evasive fighter and my rogue - the rogue evaded my fireballs while there wasn't even a response for my monked/ rogued armorclad (I tried out both combos) - that much for theory and praxis ;) However, the monks special abilities, saves & bonuses are quite handy.
    As for the improved speed - I think it is disabled by wearing armor. And does stunning attack work with weapons or is it usable only unarmed?

Even when you aquire a feat automatically that doesn't mean you really benefit from it :D

Perhaps it would be a nice idea to create a non-armor fighter-monk a lá Chow Yun Fat in "Hidden Tiger-Crouching Dragon" - with maybe 6 or 8 fighter levels and then switch over to monk ... :hmm:

[ November 06, 2002, 08:44: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

16. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Speaking very tongue in cheek here...

Rolsuk, my dwarf monk is crying now because he makes no sense in a story, wah wah wah...

I'm crying too...

Seriously, I see your point of view, but I'm mad, so I like making "odd" characters.

Cheers.

17. Quint Gems: 8/31

@Ragusa:

I also noticed a problem with Evasion in IWD2.
    Either there's a bug, or they're rolling dice - after the reflex roll succeeds - to decide if your rogue/monk has evaded or not.

I noticed that problem some time ago, but didn't try to analyze it until I gave my fighter a monk's level and noticed he evades only infrequently with heavy armor, although he definitely does so, occasionally.
    So I sat there experimenting, throwing fireballs at him :D and my Rogue together (the latter has Improved Evasion too). Even with no armor at all, both fighter/monk and Rogue were sometimes getting damage, even though they succeded in their reflex roll. The fighter had a smaller evasion success rate while wearing his usual heavy armor, though.

I even got the following:
    XYZ: Reflex roll (...) Success
    XYZ: XYZ Evades Fireball.
    XYZ: XYZ gets 26 fire damage.
    ...which is impossible since XYZ evaded the fireball.

So I'd say there seems to be a bug.

[ November 06, 2002, 13:56: Message edited by: Quint ]

18. Ragusa

Media:
    sounds like it, otherwise I would guess it has to do with te AC penalty of heavier armor ... anyway, practically it's of little use :(

19. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] But if you have all your heroes be 1 level monk no one'll be there to pick up the rewards from the quests as monks usually are rejecting them :D

20. Quint Gems: 8/31

Very true. :) You don't want to miss on all the goodies!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.