1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

bows or crossbows

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Magiens Materialis, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Magiens Materialis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] In my bg and iwd1 i didn't use much bows and crossbows. So, with my iwd2 game, I wanna try one of these weapons. Wich one is the best? (for a drow sorcerer)

2. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

3. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

i recon bows are better, but the hell-bolter is probably the only good xbow out there...

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] As if. My mage used crossbows the whole game. By the time I got to Severed Hand, I had a Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy +4 which deals +6 missile damage and gives an attack bonus of +10. Wicked!

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Indeed. My two sorcerers and one mage were equipped with crossbows throughout the entire game, and they rocked. :) (Well, so far as you can expect an arcane caster to rock with a bow :D )

There are certainly a couple of good bows out there. And bolts with added effect only add more happiness to your party :grin:

6. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] bows vs. crossbows <=> speed vs. damage (that's why most people say bows are better) - choose what you want - if a game does not allow to load a crossbow multiple times per round according to attack per round on a character it is obvious to give a character with more attack per round a bow - but with exceptions

for example:
    • 3 characters with many attack per round
    • 3 characters with not so many attack per round
    • 3 (good) bows
    • 3 (good) crossbows
    if a character with many attack per round has bow proficiency I give her a bow
    if a character with not so many attack per round has crossbow proficiency I give her a crossbow

also there are more withertoes and whyfors: how often a character uses range attack, specialities of bow/crossbow and/or character and/or ammunition, ...

in real life:
    • there were some constructions which allowed to load more than one bolt in a crossbow and than fire without reloading (in iwd2: doom & hell bolter ?)
    • in some cultures were bows used also as a melee weapon, crossbows are not so handy, I newer heard about using crossbows in melee like other guns using handgrip as blunt or !slashing! weapon (I do not remember the game, but in some were bows allowed to use in melee as piercing weapons)

7. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'd go for crossbows too.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] well... you can get a lot more free arrows, so I usually use longbows, short bows and composites a tad more than Crossbows.

I prefer faster weapons over damaging weapons. Unless it comes to games like Sacrifice and Age of Empires :hmm:

anyway. I'm split between 1:2:3:1
    Slings:Crossbows:Bows:thrown weapons
    2:3
    Bows win

9. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31

i stand corrected

10. Azael Enteri Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

11. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Crossbows,just helluva much attack bonus and damage.

12. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah. If you're having trouble actually hitting the guy, then bows are the way to go.

If you're having trouble just getting a beatdown on all those fools, then crossbows are the way to go.

To Hit Armour Class Zero.

13. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My mages use crossbows, because i don't have to give them feats in it.

14. Kabuki Man Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Pick an Elf, Givem a Bow, Teach them Spells.

You'dbe amazed the damage they'll do.

Especially if you give them Arrows.. ^_^

15. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31

16. Magiens Materialis Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Ya, I agree with you, he's more effective with arrows :p

17. plain vanilla Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For a drow sorceror, the crossbow that fires multiple times is best. With crossbows, the firing rate is fixed according to the particular crossbow that you're using. With bows the rate of fire follows your melee attack rate. As sorcerors do not get to attack many times per round normally (at least until you get to very high levels) a multiple firing crossbow is your best bet. Don't forget that if you have the rapid shot feat you can have another shot with the bow. In terms of which weapon provides the best chance of hitting (very important to a sorceror because of the inherently low base attack), you must assess both bow and crossbow weapons on their own merits while considering the attack bonuses conferred by the ammunition you carry around. Therefore if you have a crossbow with +4 attack and only +2 bolts, you'll be better off trying to get a hit in with a +3 bow with +4 arrows.

With your drow you will already have a bow feat. I'd use both (ie, carry both bows and crossbows plus their ammunition). Leave the close range combat to everyone else - thus they have no need for long range weapons.

18. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

In my party I have one armed with a crossbow, and another with a bow, I like the crossbows best, however, throughout the game, especially at the begining, you will find a lot more arrows lying around, rather then bolts/quarrels.

Personally, I like crossbows.

(8people thinks that its only 'cause my grand dad got one though :p )

19. Gorgon Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] My sorcerer have the Hellbolter, its very good.
    and my abjurer have a longbow+3. It works just
    fine!

20. Magiens Materialis Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] I know that it's off topic but how much attacks per round has a lv 30 sorcerer ( to know if a bow is good in the case of the sorcerer)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.