1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Questions.. Am I a newbie, or not?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Qu1ckC4nc3r, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Qu1ckC4nc3r Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I just got a hold of this game, I think its great. Only problem i'm having is realizing I can't find to much up-to-date information on it since it's so old. Let me see if anyone out there is reading this forums or i'm just halucinating out of frustration.

1. I would like to find some type of list or chart as to what type of monster is weak to what type of weapon dmg and/or spell dmg. (ex: Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning, Fire, Ice, Acid, Lighting.

2. I have played the game from the begining many times, but have only made it as far Fellwood. This is because i get tired of the fact that I don't see widespread nastalgia about this game on the net and am in fear of not finding any multiplayer games. That was calmed by the reading of a post about gamespy. My question is where else other then game spy can this game be played?

3. When should I go play on multiplayer and how much should I know before I do? Can I start a level 1 team on multiplayer or do I jave to level it in single? Can I just make 1 Char for multiplayer or does it have to be a team?

4. What kind of recent work is going on out there about this game are there any other more current forums and sites about this game IWD2 then this page?

Thats all for now..... Qu1ckC4nc3r

2. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The IWD2 forums are updated about every day. Every day there is something new, and if you can't find anything new, then you can ask it yourself by making something new. I think I don't understand your problem.

1. For the weaknesses. Can't think of any list. Can't think of anyone willing to make one either. Just be sensable and think.

3. You create a new character or you save one you have used in the game. You could create 6 characters, but if you alone use these 6 in MP, then there's no space for the other players' characters. Best is you create 1 character and start MP.

4. SP has several staff working on new gadgets for the games it provides. Check the games' particular site for hacks/tips/info. If there's anything worthy, Tal would be happy to share it with us.

Anything else with that?
    Yes: No L33T and sigs please. I'm not the only nitpicker who hates that.

Welcome to the boards, though.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

1. If you read the 'feedback' section of the game display you can soon work out the strengths and weaknesses of each monster. For example, Crystal Golems are vulnerable to bludgeoning (but not much else) and Ice Trolls and Treants can be zapped with fire. Working this all out is half the fun.

4. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    As for the damage thing, save games and experiment. Oh yeah, and for some really weird reason, Fire Trolls are immune to ice.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Really? Maybe they are so hot that the ice melts.

Some of the monster immunities etc ARE a bit wierd. Like Shadows. How come you can hit them with an axe? Shouldn't it just go right through them?

6. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You obviously realise that your sig is bad taste and have tried to cover up that fact with that stupid leet rubbish. Shows the mentality of people who use it i guess.

On topic: why would you want to know what weapons are best for what enemy. Isn't half the fun finding out for yourself?

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Should I also kill the monsters for you?

It's widely known that trolls are vulnerable to fire and acid, treants to fire, cadaverous undead to fire, golems - especially crystal ones - to bludgeon etc as Master of Nuhn said.

Bosses, however, are mostly made immune to what their race would suggest as a weak point, so you might encounter a bulky panzer thing untouchable by piercing weaponry. You just have to find out. Tip: every time you hit something (partially) immune to your type of damage, it's communicated to you. Same if the creature takes bonus damage from your weapon or spell.

Ah, and leet is not welcome here. The effect might prove contrary to what you mean to achieve. Languages are meant to facilitate communication, you know. In case you haven't noticed yet, your name is displayed on the left of your post. I also advise getting familiar with the Forum Rules you accepted during the registration of your account.

[ June 08, 2003, 22:28: Message edited by: chevalier ]

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Magic damages nails most creatures, though.

9. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

one thing that I find helpful is enabling the hit rolls to be displayed on the text screen...

it shows when your characters hit, but more importantly, it shows how much damage your opponent took, and if they resisted any (or all) of it...

i.e. if you were fighting a crystal golem for the first time without any prior info, you would have seen in the damage descriptions that he was only suffering damage from bludgeoning, while peircing and slashing were having no effect... thus, pause the game, convert all characters to using bludgeoning weapons, and resume the game...

likewise, you can target other creatures during a battle if you see your initial target is immune to piercing damage...

things like that...

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but :)

The last post says that the text screen shows the type of damage a creature takes. However I only get the damage done / hitpoints lost information. Is there a specific switch I have to turn on? Also is it possible to see how the damage figure has arrived at? I was fighting the death knights in Kersslake's tomb (IWD I modded) and on a 10+6 roll he wasted 22 hitpoints off my dwarf who had -5AC.

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes, I think it's on the game configuration screen and called "Additional Feedback" or something like that. It's not an option you get while you're actually playing the game, like difficulty setting, you actually have to lauch the game configurator to do it. Then you get the actual attack and saving rolls etc appearing in the dialogue box. It is SO helpful for figuring out how best to use Power Attack and that type of feat for a character, making the game a lot more like P&P with dice. :)

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Judging from your name, I would say yes... (Hate l33t :mad: )

Other than that, it's a great game, and it will only get better from Fellwood on...

13. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Awh, leave him alone. :p

1. You can but experiment.

2. You can play multiplayer games with anyone you like who has the game. Just find out what their IP adress is and play!

3. A Multiplayer game is just like the Single Player game, except there are more people playing. Usually one of you takes the "Leader Role", and you go through the game. So yes, you start with a level 1 character. You can all have 1 character each, or you can have two or even three, depending on how many are playing.

Remember, there are only 6 character slots, so you will have to share slots with your team-mates.

4. As far as I know, there aren't very many other Forums or Sites that hold IWD2 in such high regard. Go to Sorcerer's Place's IWD2 Section to see what we have for you to download.
    Also, check out SP's hosted page; http://weimer.org one of the best known Infinity Engine modders out there.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.