1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

About druids

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Shaitan, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

[​IMG] I personally like playing with Weimer's fantastic mod for druids installed. In my opinion it makes the druids better, and I've always liked them for whatever reasons. But I usually play druids pure sometimes just adding 1 lvl of ranger. Anyones out there who have some nice ideas of how to enhance the druids any further? Perhaps someone have played a party consisting of only druids? as I'm planning to do after finishing my recent game.

2. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Barbarian1/Druid X has great potential. Extra HPs, BAB, weapon choices, speed compliment druid well. Not sure if rage continues when shapechanged, but this could help as well. While abilities score requirements are strained, note the availibility of many Wis building items and potions, so max Str and Con and go with 14 Wis to start. Makes a great frontliner with great buffing spells.

Ranger/druid works well. Using leather armor and duel wielding can work, but I prefer fighter4/druidX. Gets more fighter feats (take ambi and 2weapon fighting if you want) plus weapon specialization. More weapon choices until you settle down with that late game great weapon of your choice. I hate being stuck with a simple mace+1 while everyone else has better weapons because you are limited in your choices.

Right now I am trying a monk20/druid10 (currently monk 13) for decoy in HOF who could help out in a fight. Maxing Wis and Dex.
    I personally love going treant while in the ice temple. Entangle when hit comes in handy in some of those big battles.

3. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Monk 1/Druid X works fairly well, though you have to be careful with that build... you can't wear anything on your chest without losing your Wisdom bonus to AC (which can get around +8, if you work at it). This isn't a character to fight barehanded... instead, use two-handed weapons if you've got a 14+ strength, or just find something one-handed and stick with it. Weapon finesse is pretty good for them, as well.

Does anyone know if you can use stunning attack with your wildshape's natural attacks?

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You could make a LN druid with one lvl monk (for saves and AC-bonus from wis), one lvl ranger (if you plan to use 2-weapon-fighting )and one lvl dreadmaster for the extra wis-quest.

5. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

A newbie question about druids in 3rd edition rules: can they yield metal weapons? If I remember correctly from Baldur's Gate, druids are supposed to have some restrictions (only club, scimitar, staff or pike) even if they have fighter levels. My druid in IWDII seems to be able to use swords, though.

I guess I will try the fighter4/druid X build. I don't think i will put feats in weapon profficiency, though. +1 to hit and +2 to damage does not seem worth 2 feats. I was thinking to add some spell penetration/focus feats, but not sure what school. Any suggestions?

6. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

There are no weapons or armor restrictions on Druids in IWD2

7. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Seems to me though, that everyone here uses his druid in the frontline battles... Won't you be better off taking a fighter or a barbarian in that case?

Do druids have so many great spells that other spellcasters don't have? Is the shapeshifting that great? Someone fill me in please, because a druid seems to me like he's an allround character, but doesn't excell in any discipline... (bit like the bard...)

8. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

@ Spliff Krieger
    Some people like shapeshifting but I usually only use them when I'm hurt and then quickly change back to regain some HP. The druid gets 8 HP/lvl (with max HP/lvl enabled) which is not far from the fighters 10. The difference seems even less with good constitution: With con=18 youll get 12 instead of 14 HP which is about 15% less.
    The .75*BAB makes them able to hit most enemies quite easily.
    The spells aren't as good as the ones the arcane casters get but the damaging spells are at least close to the arcane spells.
    If you want your druid in the frontline it might be good to take one lvl in any fightingclass to be able to use the best weapons you get.
    A fighter/barb might be a better frontliner but the ability to cast powerful spells and to be an almost as good frontliner makes the druid better. I like having a party with 3 frontliners and 6 high-lvl casters.

[ July 06, 2005, 10:38: Message edited by: Mudde ]

9. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Bar1/druidX with Bear's strength, barkskin. two handed weapon, raging will mow through those tough monsters, with the ability to flame strike, ice storm, lightning, etc if you need it. Similar to the bard, as the backup healer, buffer, 2nd tank. Do not underestimate the shapechange. Weimers mod adding Will-o-wisp makes great decoy.

10. Geoff Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Crushing Wave. That is one deadly spell right there. The only downside is that it takes a long time to cast. If you can time it right and you give your druid plenty of concentration skills, it's incredible.

11. Shayleigh Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

What happened to stacking Call Lightning and Static Charge? I guess maybe its a bit too cheap :D

12. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Heck, I've always liked just casting 2 or 3 Static Charges in an indoor fight... they're a lot less perky when you're pounding on them, and the spells keep hitting them, too.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.