1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

8th Chamber - I want to slit my wrists

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by SkyBroad, Jan 18, 2003.

1. SkyBroad Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

AAAGH!

I cannot get past these fire monks! I have a Barbarian Half-Orc with 186 hit points and I've never had so much trouble.

Any suggestions?

2. The Abyss Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I used a sorcerer. I casted improved invisibility, walked out of their sight, cast animate dead until I had around 4 or so, then walked back. The undead did the rest of the work rather effortlessly and the monks never saw me (note, this is the patched version of the game - the monks never saw me because I didn't cast animate dead while within their sight).

Oddly, the flamestrikes disappeared when I walked out of sight and they never returned....hm...... and for the whole battle there were no flamestrikes at all......weird.

[ January 19, 2003, 17:38: Message edited by: The Abyss ]

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Have your character hasted and a ranged weapon is useful, keep running from the flame strikes ( I think there is about a one second warning before they hit) and useing your weapon, ultimately you could have a character with fire resistance and go kick butt :thumb:

4. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Do you have a monk? I had a level 10 deep gnome monk. I didn't got hit ONCE in the last chamber, your monk won't be hit by the monks and you don't have to dodge the flame strikes because of your spell resistance and your imp. evasion.
    If you don't have a monk. Stick with the tactics above.
    good luck

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

My solution is slightly like The Abyss's strategy with an addition of Mirror Image to totally aviod Flame Strike.

6. SkyBroad Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Someone at another board suggested I switch to my cleric - it was a piece of cake! Easy! He cast "Protection from Evil" then summoned a Fire Elemental who knocked the snot out of those monks. He also cast "Protection from Fire" while he was in there, but it wasn't really necessary since the battle was over so quickly and my cleric still had almost all his hit points left.

FWIW:

Sorceror - I had tried him previously and he sucked, but Abyss' strategy sounds interesting. The undead would be immune to the flames so it sounds like a great idea.

Haste - Tried that too, but the guy who runs the Chambers stripped me of my magic when the game began.

Monk - I don't have one, but other people had suggested that a monk is the best way to win this Chamber.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Hopefully, others can make some good use of this thread.
    :D

7. thirdeye Gems: 1/31

hah, the way I did it was I shapeshifted my druid into a polar bear to beat the crap outta the monks and just ran him away when the flame strike was going to happen, I finished that chamber with 2hp's left!!

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'm on the doorstep of these chambers. I'm thinking my dwarven Battleguard of Tempus would be a good choice, seeing how he is the most versatile character. He's got good meleeskils. And of course animate dead will help out too ;)

9. The Abyss Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Did anyone else experience the bug that occured to me? (cast Improved invisibility, walk out of sight, and after that, no flamestrikes for the whole battle)

10. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I used my sorc with maximum concentration skill cast imp.invisibility,and animate dead....damn improved invisibility breaks the game

11. Mephisto Gems: 1/31

if u found this chambe hard on normal mode...
    dont play HoF mode... ****in monks are inmune to normal weapons, i had no monks... no druid... no improved invisibility... almost imposible...

12. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

In my first group:
    For the first seven chambers I had my half orc barbarian do the job. For this one, I let my wizard get in. Mirror Image, Animate Dead, Mirror Image, Fire Shield(Blue) and Animate Dead were the spells I cast respectively. She left with %75 or so HP.
    For my second party:
    Those chambers were a piece of cake, having a monk.

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Damn that 8th chamber is indeed hard. I've tried multiple times with my Battleguard with Fire Resistance and Animate dead, but he just doesn't cut it. Most fun death was when 5 flamestrikes came right after eachother at pretty much the same spot when I was forced into a corner. My ranger got one down, but then he got pummeled to death while avoiding flamestrikes.

Wanting to slit my wrists is an accurate description of how I'm feeling right now. I must've had 12 reloads already. I am so bringing a monk into my next party. :(

I'm gonna try it with my wizard or sorceress now. Neither has Impr.Invis. though. Perhaps Sanctuary will do with my battleguard. Mhmm...

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Actually, playing the chambers with monk isn't going to make your quest any easier. Yeah sure, you will survive in normal mode. But i assure you, your monk will take helluva pain in HoF mode. Really, sorcerer or wizard with Animate undead, mirror image and Mordokaien's(sp?) Sword (if playing HoF) is much easier.

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Okay, it cost me some time, but I've found a good way to get through it if you don't have a monk or wizard/sorcerer with improved invisibility.

Get a cleric, and memorise as much divine shell, spell resistance and animate dead as you can.

First thing, cast spellresistance. Then proceed with Divine Shell. This should get you enough protection to succesfully cast at least 2 Animate Deads. Then move away from the monks, in hope that by now they've aimed their attacks on the undead. Now cast as many animate dead as possible, because the monks can and will kill the undead if they get enough time. More undead means more damage to the monks, which means you can get the hell outta this chamber quicker.

Recast spellresistance and divineshell when needed. With both these protections on, I had no fear from the flamestrikes.

[ January 21, 2003, 11:01: Message edited by: Faragon ]

16. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Faragon:
    What about "Sanctuary"? Don't you try it? It should work.
    BTW, "Sanctuary" is the most frequently cast level 1 spell by my cleric in HoF.

17. Mephisto Gems: 1/31

i tried sanctuary but it didnt work because the monks will still follow you withouth attacking so they are close enough to hit if you try cast any spell

18. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I did the same as Hagren the Barbarian. I did end up with more hit points, about 15. :D

19. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

The only good sanctuary would be to get the monks of your back after you've summoned the undead. They killed this spell for me with the cancellation on any action besides moving.

20. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

For this situation, you may be right. But I guarantee you that you will use it very much when you reach HoF.(If you play.)
    Cast sanctuary on one of your non-casters and summon 6 undead. Get this group scout the area and monsters will attack your undead. Then you can simply attack with your undead and hack&slash everything in sight. Your casters can close after the battle starts to help out your sumoons do the job. :grin:
    I know, I know. This is cowardice... :o

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.