1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New here, some questions

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Memento Mori, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I just started re-playing IWD2, I never beat it the last time. Reading the posts here has me wanting to start a new party. I just finished the prologue so I don't have far to backtrack. I was wondering what a really good 3 or 4 person party would be, and most especially a fun party.

Thanks!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Fun is in the mind of the player. We can't tell you what you will find fun. Most of the recent posts on this Board are about party suggestions so check those out.

Generally speaking, it is usually good to make sure your party has characters to fill one or more of the following roles: Tank (fight hard, take hits), Healer / Buffer (often a divine spellcaster), Bombardier (often an arcane spellcaster). You may also find the following useful: Scout, Magekiller, Talker, Lock opener, Trap disarmer, Ranged attacker, Decoy etc etc

3. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Thanks, I know the basics but I don't know the rules of DnD well enough to craft up an off-the wall party on my own. I'm thinking of trying solo or a 3 member or MAYBE 4 member party. Any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A recommended 3 person party that could do OK might be:

Dwarf Fighter 4 / Barbarian (x) - give him STR and CON
    Human Cleric - give him WIS, then STR and CON
    Aasimar Paladin 2 / Sorcerer (x) - give him CHA

a 4th member might be:
    Tiefling Rogue 2 / Wizard (x) - give him INT then DEX

5. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Thanks, the party I had previously was an aasimar dreadmaster, a half orc fighter and a tiefling sorceror and I had hit Shaerngarne like a brick wall and haven't gotten any further. I definitely want something more powerful.

6. Harbourboy

The party you described sounds powerful enough on the surface. Be sure to get the distribution of stats and feats right. Maybe take an extra character this time.

Plus, if you need specific tips for getting through Shaengarne, let us know (set up a new topic).

7. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Yeah it looks like getting the distribution right is the hardest part. I might stick with the current party but who knows, I might have gimped them by accident.

BTW, can you recommend a kicking solo character that isn't a paladin hybrid? Not being able to accept rewards is irritating.

8. GI Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Try to create a party with a set theme in mind, that is the best way to have fun IMO (for example a party of 4 rogue, each specialized in different trade)

Hope this help.

9. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

These are some suggestions for a 3 or 4 player party:

Tank:
    Dwarf or ½Orc Fighter 4 / Barbarian x
    Stats: 18/20 16 20/18 3/1 18 1
    Weapon: Great Sword
    alt:
    Aasimar Fighter 4 / Paladin x
    Stats: 16 10 18 3 13 20
    Weapon: Large Sword (for holy avenger later on)

Healer:
    Dwarf Battleguard of Tempus
    Stats: 18 16 20 3 18 1
    Weapon:Great Axe
    less tank oriented alt:
    Human Morninglord of Lathander
    Stats: 18 16 18 3 18 3
    (Gets 2 skillpoint for Concentration and Spellcraft)

Bombardier:
    Human Sorcerer Stats: 9 18 18 3 10 18
    alt: Aasimar Sorcerer Stats: 8 12 18 12 10 20
    Weapon: Ranged
    Skillpoints Concentration & Spellcraft

If you want a 4th member these alternatives can be intresting:
    Drow rogue 1 /wizard x Stats: 11 20 16 20 8 5 (backup bombardier)

Human Monk 1/ Druid x Stats: 16 18 18 3 18 3

Deep Gnome Monk Stats: 16 20 14 3 20 1 (almost impossible to hit early in the game and becomes almost imune to spells)

Thiefling Fighter 4 / Rogue x Stats: 14 20 14 18 11 1 (1:st level as Rogue then take the fighterlevels. Fun to play with)

10. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Thanks Mudde. Couple more things, where can I find Jukkas guide and the solo information? I think I'm gonna try a solo character once though. I like the idea of monks or druids, I'm really not a good spell micromanager so any derivative/hybrid that makes it easier I'm all for it. I am trying a chevalier special right now (asimar paladin/wizard) and I'm actually getting owned so I must be doing something wrong.

11. Harbourboy

Deep Gnomes and Drow can make nice solo characters due to their spell resistance. It's very annoying for a solo character to get incapacitated by a stray spell and you watch helplessly as he or she gets hacked to pieces with nobody to bail them out. Their natural resistance saves from having to micro-manage protection buffs before each encounter.

The JUPP can be found on this page.

12. Mudde Gems: 9/31

Deep gnome Fighter4/illusionist on Deep Gnome Cleric should be quite good for a sologame

13. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Cool, thanks. What about a deep gnome monk, or something kind of rogue cross-mix. Also, are druids viable for solo?

EDIT:
    Whoops, just noticed that Mudde mentioned a deep gnome monk. Is it as good as another deep gnome character though? I'm leaning more towards drow, and more of a rogue-ish melee character. Again, thanks for the replies.

14. Mudde Gems: 9/31

The Deep gnome monk will get good AC and excellent spell resistance but lacks spellcasting ability. It will take long for it to kill the enemy hordes.

EDIT.
    And i think the Deep gnomes +4 to AC makes quite a difference in the normal game, making it superior to the drow in solo (in hof the AC must be either extreme or neglected)

15. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I'm currently soloing with a human barbarian(1)/rogue(2), with all suceeding levels going into sorcerer. I don't know how "kicking" he's going to be, but he's holding his own right now in Prologue.

16. Vassago Gems: 5/31

el timtor,
    That's the thing about the Prologue, you can pretty much solo any character through it. It's after that that things start getting tough.

Mudde,
    If you're going to multiclass a Rogue w/ a Wizard, it's advised to take two levels of Rogue because 2nd level Rogue gets Evasion for free and w/ a Wizard having a small amount of hit points it would be well worth it.

Memento Mori,
    The key about Paladins and them not accepting rewards to not have them talk at keep points where you can get a reward. I've been against them for the same reason, but I have a Rogue 2/Wizard X that I use as my party talker every chance I get. With his high INT I have lots of skill points to distribute so it's no problem maxing out Bluff, Intimidate and Diplomacy. As far as creating a party, it's always good to post here for comments. I posted mine a couple of days ago and have gotten some really good feedback that's going to help me out in the long run.

17. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

Vassago, thanks for the advice. The trouble is if I'm going solo, I can't have anyone else talk. I'm going to look for your post to see if I can find a good solo character.

18. Vassago Gems: 5/31

Memento,
    You can do a search for solo and will probably find numerous threads on what others have used to solo the game. Since I haven't played IWD2 all the way through yet, I'm sticking with a party of 4.

19. Memento Mori Gems: 3/31

You know, you have a point. I probably shouldn't try to solo until I've beaten the game at least once. In that case I want to start a 4 person party. Here's what I'm thinking.

1)cleric talker, clueless as to specifics
    2)deep gnome druid
    3)half orc fighter 4, barb x with greataxes
    4)rogue/wizard, pure wizard or sorceror

Let me know how this sounds.

20. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I would drop the druid and take a sorcerer instead.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.