1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wussy Monsters, why god why?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Keltic, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Keltic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] There are a few things I really despise about BGII, firstly the beholders.

There uselessly pathetic in comparison to what they used to be, why could'nt they be as powerful as in good old curse of the azure bonds. In that they were something to fear, in this there something to laugh at.

for a few reasons.
    - they dont use their rays on summon elementals, not sure about other creatures, but one summoned fire elemental wiped out five beholders on a number of occasions.
    - their magic resistance is so low as to be useless, again I look back to curse of the azure bonds. I've killed beholders with a flame arrow spell of all things.
    - and to make it worse the shield of balduran makes any fighter invincible against them, very very bad idea. fairs fair but this is ridiculous.

thats just one complaint of many i'll have in a bit but this will do for now, anyone else think some monsters are uselessly weak.

One more thing melf minute meteors is easily the best spell in the game simply for the reason there is nothing it can't hurt including the invicible golems at the start and the demilich gaxx. Can't be beaten for that I say. I've killed adamantite/clay golems, everything galore with this baby.

Keltic Danor - Red Wizard Of Thay

[This message has been edited by Keltic (edited February 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Keltic (edited February 01, 2001).]

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You complain that Beholders are a joke with the shield of Balduran. Using it takes fun out of fighting them. True, but why do you use it then?
    Go and face´em without it. So did I for the first three times (precisely: Until I got the merchant-patch from Sorcerer´s Place).
    They are to fear then, except when you´re a cheating melee coward using sneak & backstabb & run away guerrilla tactics. Or think about fighting dragons WITHOUT finger of death or fighting golems WITHOUT Melf´s Meteors... :D

3. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've got a better idea , If you finding the monster that easy just disarm you characters and go in for a bit of hand to hand combat.

Nothing work better than a good karate chop or valcun grip. That should make it interesting :)

4. Silroth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Keltic has a good point. If you have to add your own rules to a game like:
    don't use shield of balduran
    don't use taktics known to work
    don't use exploits
    don't use arrows ;)
    somethings wrong with the game.

A normal (non-)human being (I hereby explicitly exclude paladins and think-alikes) would do everything to survive against real monsters. A game might have you behave unnaturally (like castnig spells, killing dragons with one punch, getting resuurected, ...), but it should not make you behave wierd (like geting killed even though you had the weapon/armor/shield/... which would have shurly let you survive, but didn'T use it, because it would have made things too easy)!! :cool:

I think it would be better to set the game difficulty a step up and use everything you got and can get at. A game should appeal to both your lower insticts AND your brain (for those who have). :D

5. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If this was real you wouldnt been in that situation in the first place, you would be off fighting giant minature space hampsters trying to take over planet earth 1 ranger at a time.

6. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Please, PLEASE don't start that over again.

I haven't been posting on the Boards for a while (since I've put away my IWD).

I am not that of a fan to take off a semester (goes to Ragusa) so I installed my BG2 last week after I had my finals.

I scanned this forum thoroughly and will probably fade out if I see another RP - PG - exploits discussion.

LOL!

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Mojahd, you´re so right - these people here are doubtless powergamers, cowardly afraid of ridiculous little monsters and would probably use finger of death on goblins - just to play safe :D

BTW - Taking the semester off for CRPGs is the only solution for a true believer like me, just ask Sorl.

8. Keltic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I don't use the shield I'm a sorcerer, besides which I can kill them without any weapons of equipment, just using a few low level spells. And I don't and never have summoned any monsters ever.

And in history dragons could supposedly only be matched by the most powerful ancient wizards, and armies of warriors. why is it my party (just me and valygar) were able to kill each of them, without the use of dragon slayer swords, or halberds (though admittedly horrid wilting was handy). Bit dodgy if'n ya ask me but, enough a that.

I better stop in consideration of what I've started.

Keltic

9. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

In history? :D Heh, now that's funny. Maybe Dungeons and Dragons should be renamed if a normal party could never face a Dragon. Everybody complains about things being easy in this game. Hell, considering what levels a party can achieve, everything can still be a decent challenge. Dragons are easier because they're alone and everyone prepares like crazy to fight them. Try just going up unprepared to the Black Dragon and see if you don't get you butt handed to you. And if I run into a room with several beholders without a certain shield or cloak, unprepared, it is a tough fight, regardless. If you don't want the shield, don't buy it. Then you won't have to worry about it.

10. Hellfire20098 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

see the last time we were attacked by giant hampters we were playing AD&D and we were going on 6 hours of sleep over 4 days and my ranger was the king of hampster world!!!!!
    thats just some of the great ideas we got from this game!!!

Hellfire20098

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.