1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character creation

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Moeken, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I'm just curious as to how people go about creating their characters. I know that I choose which class I want to be, and then proceed to 'roll' the dice for the next 10 minutes until my prerequisites are how I want them. I have to admit that this seems a bit unfair. I know we would all like to be the ultimate character with god like traits, but this just seems unrealistic.

In my good old PnP days, (I haven't played for awhile) I would sit down with the DM, roll up a character, then see which class best suited my 'random' abilities.

Of course there would have to be moderation used here, because who wants to role play 'Brian the Brainless' or 'Claude the Clumsy'

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In general, all those who adventure already have above average attributes over the regular folks who run taverns or inns or work in the city, so really any roll should do.

BUT that's not the case with anyone of us on this message board, including myself ;)

Now I can't stand rolling for 3hrs to get a perfect match, but when I do roll characters, I do have a calculator handy to add up the total.

Anything under 90 I usually won't take, although Grub's final total stats came to 86, it was only due to the fact I was getting tired of rolling stats and just went with it.

98 is the highest I've ever rolled total wise and that was in BG1 with my tard Paladin Lance.

Syl...

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] LOL! Calculator! That's me!

But for IWD I was too impatient to do that for all six of the characters, so I just went with quick rules of thumb: Nothing under 10 and close to an average of 14 or 15 per stat...

4. Doomlord Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Though it makes the game tougher; I choose a class (always pure cleric), roll the dice, set my wisdom to 18 and start the game.I roll again if the total is under 75;but if it is higher then I start the game.I know this is a stupid way but I think it makes the game both more challenging and more realistic.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Stupid? Why would that be stupid? The image of me sitting in front of a computer game with calculator in hand seems more stupid! :)

6. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I exactly have the same strategy as Syl, an average value of 15 on all stats. Usually, I roll dices for 15 mn for each character.

On P&P games, I think it depends a LOT of what kind of game (roleplay) you play and in what kind of world you are. I mean, if the world is particularly Heroic with a lot of heroes, your character can be a heroe too, then you can roll some nice dices before accepting them. Few years ago, I mastered a long campaign where each character was a true heroe, with a huuuuuge background (long hours of discussion with each player before creating a character). So, average value were quite high for stats, and sometimes at race max (like 21 for elves' dex).

But, if you play in a more standard world, your character can be more... normal :). I played a lot too with these rules, and it's really funny sometimes too :D.

IMHO.

And btw, why did you choose 'Claude the clumsy' it is my first name in RL, rofl :).

7. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] No offense intended Rasalgethi :) It was the first name I thought of that made an alliteration with 'clumsy'

I guess my point about the dice roll is that it is meant to make your character unique. Why even roll the dice if we're all going to put 18's down anyway!

Although I can agree with the above mentioned tactics.

8. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

Or was that above mentioned strategies? ;)

9. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

No problem MiLord ;).

Average value of 15 doesn't mean 15 on all stats, I usually give to my characters 1 or 2 low stats (in PP games), like Wisdom... really fun to play a character with High Intelligence and Low Wisdom, :D. As for example, my current Sorcerer got a Strengh of 8 (quite annoying to carry heavy items, she doesn't use the nice strength belts), but she IS cleaver with a 19 in Intelligence.

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh, heh... I didn't mean to create confusion with that tactics vs strategy post, so really, just use them interchangeably if you want! :)

11. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

*looks confused* ;).

In this thread the topic is about character creation strategy, isn't it ?? And in the other one, it is about battle tactics, right ?? ;).

Well, I'm going to play for a while, be back later, see you.

12. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, not that I feel a need to justify myself, but in most p&p games, the characters are allowed to have some bonus to their rolling method:
    Some roll 4d6 and drop the lowest die.
    Some re-roll 1's.
    Some roll 3d6 and assign stats as wanted.

And then there are some who insist upon rolling 3d6 for every stat, rendering characters of an average stat of 10.5, nothing greater than a commoner.

So I feel that under even p&p, some allowances are made to ensure that the characters have a means and a justification for their greatness. BGII allows extremes highs, but then again in p&p some of the greatest characters are similar to my friends half-orc: "Dah."

Amon-Ra

13. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I really do like creating a generally high stat main character. It's not a great thing to do, but it's roleplaying, so if I'm going to be roleplaying a character for a few months, I would like a really nice one. I still try to handicap him where I can, but it's just so tempting not to. If I create more than one character in a game, that's different. For other characters, I make them nice, rounded characters, but not super high stats. I'll hanidicap them so their stats(as in BGs) are in line with the other NPC's.

14. lym Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"It's not a great thing to do, but it's roleplaying, so if I'm going to be roleplaying a character for a few months, I would like a really nice one."

I think a not so nice character is more role play than a perfect one. I think most of us are not perfect in our class. The point why we keep on rolling is that we want a "game" afterall.

15. Silver Dragon Gems: 5/31

I didn't relise you could keep rolling the dice until I was in the 3rd Chapter. I just kept the first roll and took the Intelligence and Wisdom down, I consider it cheating anyway, It's nearly the same as reloading to get the finger of death to work.

16. Rasalgethi Gems: 5/31

Did you play with the marvellous Unearthed Arcana, in PP games ??? You remember rolls, ah ah, I mean that there was special stat rolls according to your class, i.e. constitution for barbarian is 9D6 rolls, and you keep the best 3 dices... so 18 is quite easy to obtain for Barbarians. Though I think these rolls are a bit exagerated, I assume that Barbarians have a better constitution than the common people. As for Mages, you roll 8D6 for Intelligence, I guess that a common young guy/girl wanting to enter in a School of Magic with an average Intelligence (poor one) will be refused, isn't it ?? Remember the Test of the Towers, in the DragonLance serie... only the best Mages survive :).

17. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ah, but that's you Lym, not me. I played the whole way through Baldur's Gate with a poorly created fighter/mage, so please don't preach to me about playing with a flawed character. Like I said, I try to handicap my characters where I feel I can get away with it, and not just in the throw away areas that every class has. If I want to live out my role playing fantasies for the later half of the year with a well created charater that I can be proud of, then so be it. I spent the first eight months(actually more because I started BG with a similar multi character and eventually started over) of the year paying my dues.

18. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Your character stats are more important than anything else in the game. Everything else in the game that your character can use merely compliment... your character's original stats.

Taking your time while generating a character is a good method. I personally don't go to the measure of *all 15's* but I do insist on certain numbers for certain classes. I then rob one stat to increase the stats' that I'll need. Generally speaking I always insist on an 18(Percentile if possible) strength regardless of the class. Just for encumberance reasons, not to mention THAC0 & damage. I insist on a 16 or Higher Constitution. I occasionally insist on a high Dexterity. Only because I know that Guantlets of Dex and potions of Mind Focusing (+3 Int/Dex) are available in the game IF needed. I always dog my charisma. Henchmen dont' exist in CRPG's. Reactions adjustments? No big deal with Reputations being a factor. I then rob points from my Charisma to add to any other stat that needs a boost. Depending on the class Wisdom, Intelligence, or Dexterity.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited December 21, 2000).]

19. lym Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

No Crawl, I mean no preaching to you. Actually, I keep rolling myself. Being a new entry to the RPG area, I simply do not feel secure to accept bad rolls. I really hope that I will soon become proficient enough to shake off this habit and try some games in the way you do.

20. Sorl Guest

In BGI my first character was a wiz with str 6 and total of about 50 and had trouble getting through the intro, I thought stats would be raised later (I allways read the manuals afterwards). I restarted after the mines.

I now play only characters with a minimum of about 80, though I couldn't resist playing a 99 as monk.

I hope future games will benefit low stat chars with more exp/kill to reduce stat doping.
    I also hope future games will put more emphasys on balanced characters (e.g. computer taking over you character during fights if int is below 6, chars not listening to orders if your chr is low or wizards with low const generating 10 inch diameter fireballs).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.