1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Level Squatting.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Alex C, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Alex C Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I am planning to play the game agin with a 4 person party. Is it posserble to make the game think you have 6 people, and thereby get more xp, without haveing two level 1's running with you?

2. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Yes, you will get more XP when your average party level is low. So this will work.

Good luck

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] I am wondering, when the game calculates experience with that fancy formula it has, does it take into account if you have level 1 in a class (or lower levels)?

For instance say my party is all around lvl 10. But I have three party members who are m/c and have lower level classes, say 8/2, 7/3, and even a 6/4. Will they get averaged in as character level 10 for 6 characters? (60/6 = 10) OR will they get averaged in like this: (10+10+10+2+3+4+6+7+8)/13 = 4.6?

Because that is a big difference (4.6 vs 10).

4. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I guess it is based on character level and not on the classlevels

5. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Alex C:
    AFAIK, there is no way of this. You should have that level 1s or you will get less XP.

Big B:
    Your average will be 60/6=10 not 60/13=4.6...
    BTW, why you divide by 13. I think it should be 9 if I understand your logic right.

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Yeah, you're right, it would be 9 not 13. See this is why I don't like math. :p

Well it doesn't matter since it's 60/6 not matter how you slice it. Well I guess I won't be doing this level squatting thing. It's too cheap for me. Running around with level 1 chars? Bah. :heh:

7. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Alex. The total character levels not class levels are used for calculation. It is probably dangerous to take along level 1 nobodies, because they will die so easily. As an alternative you can take ECL characters like drow or deep gnomes, that will always force the average down and thereby give the whole party generally higher xp for longer, though they themselves won't go up fast.

You could just squat of course, but think about the trouble of keeping a 10 hp loser alive at the back of the party in the Goblin Horde Fortress when monsters teleport behind him all the time... :mad:

8. Alex C Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

<nods> I see what you meen, I will proberly stick to my four drow party..

I'm useing the "heros" of War of the Spider Queen.

Quenthel. Priest of Lloth.

Pharaun. Wizard.

Ryld. Fighter.

Valas. Rouge.

And makeing Jeggred or Danifae later if the game gets to hard with only one fighter. :)

9. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Big B:
    You don't need level 1s. You can simply squat your main members.

Khazraj:
    It is not that hard. Just cast invisibility on them before fight if the place is too tight, else you can leave them behind. (Near Ennelia for this situation.)

[ January 14, 2003, 09:06: Message edited by: Anakha the Almighty ]

10. Quicho Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] There is a simplier way to survive near the fortress.

Because there is a nice place near every drum. (Or except the last one. I found such place for the other drums.) You can place your rogue/scouth there. Travel hidden. And nobody will see you there. And then draw your bow.

Like army specials: Make it simple and stupid.

11. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The last time I played, I had 6 characters. 5 I levelled up as normal, the 6th I kept as level 1. I didn't use him for fighting and when I entered a new map, I made a point of keeping him out of the way of fights. The party gained XP far faster because he was there.

12. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Quick question here: Do you have to keep this level 1 alive? Ie is the exp calculated accross the live characters levels or the party character levels, live or dead?

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Good lord.

Viking, I don't know. But I'd expect it to be calculated against live members only. Dead ones don't gain XP, and I'd bet they setup a flag in there for the extra xp, as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.