1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The xp cap

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by karmelo, Oct 4, 2002.

1. karmelo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

can someboedy please work on how to remove the xp cap?
    this is for Modjahed you said youll release the chapter 4 update so why dont you? (i know this is irrelevant but please dont delete this)

[ October 04, 2002, 17:51: Message edited by: karmelo ]

2. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sorry for the delay, I had to make a BIG update of the walkthrough, it is up already.

As for the XP cap - it is high enough IMHO.

3. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

After level 30 what is next? Do you become the avatar of a God? Wait, you'll have already kicked Xvim's butt and that was an avatar of a god...

Besides, what kind of creatures would you have to fight to gain xp above level 30? At levels 15 and 16 I was getting no xp for killing some creatures like spiders and trolls. It was nice to get up to level 40 in IWD1 but even in HoF mode the game was no longer much of a challenge.

4. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Well....I'm interested in a level cap remover so I can play a solo game with a f/m/t. With the cap in place I'm under the impression that I can only get as high as 10/10/10. I am considering playing with a M/T or a Sorcer/Theif, but I'm not sure how a 15/15 character will do in HOF, and with the sorcer/theif my hp and THACO (oops...sorry 3ed..how about attack bonuses) will be horribly low.

5. karmelo Gems: 2/31

llandon i couldnt agree more thats also the reason i want the xp cap removed so i can play my multi classes and reach high levels and as for how to reach the high levels grey ghost i agree with you too but that is a whole different case . the xp cap must be removed!

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Can you even reach higher levels than the cap? Since the XP awarded decreases the higher the level you are, would a cap remover do any good? I haven't reached high levels yet, so I don't know...

7. karmelo Gems: 2/31

i understand you saying that there will be a problem with getting the xp after the highest levels but there at least should be an option to be able to obtain levels higher than 30

8. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Why? The basic game is scaled for characters to end up between 15 and 20, depending on party size.

Are you just failing to grasp that the level effects stack in 3e? Its not like 2e, where you got the best mod from each of your classes. They are cumulative now. A F10/R10/W10 would fight the same as a 22nd level fighter, have the Will save of 22nd lvl Wizard, the Reflex save of 22nd lvl Rogue, and the Fortitude save of a 22nd lvl fighter. HP would be similar to a 20+ lvl fighter, too. And you would have an extra 7 stat points over what you start with.

You would have 11 base feats, 1 rogue bonus feat, 6 fighter bonus feats, and 2 wizard bonus feats. That's 20 total feats!

The only area you would be somewhat hurting in is spellcasting power. You would only cast as a 10th lvl wizard (ie max 5th lvl spells and 10th lvl for penetration and damage totals). But you could afford all the enhancing feats to partially compensate.

How much better do you need to be?

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Actually, I never thought about the stacking that goes along with 3e multi-classing. Thanks for the info! Makes me feel better!

Blackthorne, I'm a 6th level rogue/7th level sorcerer right now with a effective character level of 15 (drow). I'm finding that most of the monsters I kill give no exp. at all, and It's starting to scare me a little.

[ October 07, 2002, 06:13: Message edited by: Llandon ]

10. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

There is a stretch in the game where that happens to just about everyone. You are threatened by large numbers of only moderately tough critters, which results in little or no experience gained because xp is evaluated on a critter by critter basis. DMs are expected to fudge these numbers as appropriate for their encounter design, but the game does not do so. As a result, the IE engine treats killing a 10 orc mob the same as killing one orc ten times. That can easily result in inequities in the xp distribution.

Your solo character will end up noticably higher level than other characters, but it will be due as much to the fixed nature of Quest xp (you get all of it) as it will be from killing stuff.

11. alighter Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Well, since it's rather a "level cap" instead of "XP cap", and judging from that in IWD2 each level up will have many effects instead some extra HP or spells, I think it's would be very hard to remove the cap...

12. Vehementi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I solo'd the game with an aasimar sorceress... well, I'm actually trying to finish the ending battle right now, which is proving quite the challenge (what's that blue shield **** around madae?)... I haven't gotten exp from a monster since like level 10, and I'm 23(24) now :bad: Something like 320k exp total, 110k from mobs.

-V

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If gaining xp can be a problem, then download from Sorcerer's Place the Weimer Mod called Ease of Use and install just the modified MonCrate file that will still award a modest amount of xp for killing a goblin at level 30. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.