1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Time vs Real Time / Rounds vs Turns vs Mintutes

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Tartan, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Tartan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I should probably know this, but I can't find it in the documentation. How long is a Turn and a Round?

I had thought that 1 Round = 6 seconds and 10 Rounds = 1 Turn, thus 1 Turn = 1 Minute (60 seconds), but the spell descriptions in the manual flip flop over what units they use. I've seen both 5 Minutes and 50 Rounds used for spell durations, so it makes me suspect that they are not the same thing.

I'm also unsure about how Rounds adjust for the 10:1 time compression (the fact that 24 Hours of game time = 2 Hours real time). Does a Round really only take 0.6 seconds, or do they still take 6 seconds of real time, but 60 seconds of game time. So, do Minutes or Hours in spell descriptions refer to real time or game time?

2. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Oh no! Not this again!

Short answer: your numbers are correct for standard D&D, but IWD2 is screwy, and furthermore in many cases the manual and in-game descriptions are lying. Even extracting and viewing the spells in an editor is not enough, because it seems there are also undocumented engine "features" which can affect duration.

There is at least one thread where someone manually measured durations and posted results.

3. Tartan Gems: 1/31

Ah, my favorite kind of features; "undocumented features." (My wife's a software developer and is always telling me what a joke documentation is.)

I found DaRock's duration post. Although many spell descriptions are wrong, here's the "standard" timing list he posted:

I still don't get how "Turns" are used for spell Durations (Static Charge and Storm Shell both use Turns rather than Rounds) unless they mean the same thing.

[ June 12, 2007, 13:56: Message edited by: Tartan ]

4. Alice Gems: 1/31

i am pretty sure "Turns" and "Rounds" are interchangeable.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

1 turn is 10 rounds AFAIK. :p

6. Tartan Gems: 1/31

"1 turn is 10 rounds AFAIK."

Under AD&D rules I believe that is true, but I'm pretty sure that changes with 3rd Ed. The 3.5 Player's Handbook defines "turn" as "The point in the round at which you take your action(s)." I think they figured that since Turn and Minute were exactly the same amount of time, it's was confusing to keep using Turn as both a duration and a part of a sequence.

Now that I look at the spells again, the only ones that use the word "Turn" are ones that don't appear in the 3rd Ed. rulebook. They are either holdovers from AD&D games or just didn't get properly translated over into 3rd Ed. terms.

7. Lord FOX Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It used to be easer for me to know this kind things in the old BG2. You just have to cast "true sigth" and when the message boards up, means the beggining of the round.Sorry if it does not clarifies anything

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

@Tartan

Really? I did not know they made the round and turn concepts that confusing in 3e. Then again they managed to make everything as complex and confusing as possible in 3+ eds so no big suprise.

@Lord Fox

There should also be an option to auto-pause at the end of every character's personal combat round. It may help to keep track of certain things. (durations of the casted spells, or when to cast a new spell, etc.)

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They didn't make "round" and "turn" confusing in 3E. What they did do was change "turn" from a duration (i.e. equivalent to 10 rounds) to what one would normally consider a turn (i.e. it's now your turn to perform your actions in this round).

"Round" is essentially the same thing as before.

10. Tartan Gems: 1/31

Blackthorne's got it right!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.