1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Making a heavily mage party...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Balzac, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Balzac Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i just got the game...but i've played BG2, BG1 and ID1 before so i do kind of know what I'm doing. I want to do a 5-man party of something like:
    Fighter for 4 lvls then dualed to thief
    Cleric
    3 Wizards(or maybe 2 wiz, 1 bard?)

I was wondering, will this work ok? And also, should I do any multi-classing with the mages? I mean go monk or fighter for a few lvls then go over to give them some more hp? Also since i won't have a thief for a while cuz of him going fighter for a bit...am i going to be ok? Or are there lots of traps and locked chests early on?

Any help is appreciated...thanks

2. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

1 thief and 4 spellcasters... hmmm... There are very many battles in this game, if you remember IWD1. And some very nice animations of body parts being thrown all over in melée. :) Still I suppose it's playable.

Scrolls should be one of your questions. I think there are enough scrolls for almost all the lower level spells, but not for higher levels, where sometimes you just find 1. So your 3 wizards may fight for the good scrolls.

You usuallly can bash locked stuff, but your wizard should be able to handle them with a spell too. There are areas with a lot of traps, most don't do much damage, and the cleric has a detect traps spell if necessary.

You'll probably miss playing some of the other classes, limiting yourself like that.

3. Sylvan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

IMO I would only take one wizard tops. Take a sorcerer as one of the other casters, plus the bard would make quite an interesting combo.

I agree with Quint that scrolls at higher levels become a premium and could be difficult to manage between two wizards.

Bards don't require scrolls to add spells to their books, and neither do sorcerers. :D

4. Dreamagi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

yeah, good scrolls are hard to come by, and when you get them, they come in very small quantities. Also, there aren't any good Mage robes around at all, so Wizards are normally pretty naked, unless you have them wear REAL armour, which will affect their spell casting.

Anyway, I absolutely love the idea of a spellcasting party... however, I might do with more sorcerers in this one because of the lack of scrolls.

5. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Have a wizard with high Dex and Int, so that takes cares of all the "thief" skills, in a single wizard. Rogues are useless unless you are totally addicted to sneak attack, which bares works...

And have a sorcerer or 2. That should be tons of firepower. Truly, if you want more firepower, forget the multiclassing.

6. idiot of the century This what happens to people who don't read the For

[​IMG] 3 wizard is a bunch of losers in icewind dale 2....IWD2 is hack en slash game...but if u r a very good player you can do it..(w/o cheats!!!)....

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    While it is true that IWD2 is a combat heavy - or hack and slash - game this does not mean that spellcasters are weak. Quite the contrary. At medium to high levels spellcasters are far superior to fighters.

I agree that three wizards are a really bad idea, but the reason for that is the lack of scrolls. Two sorcerers and a wizard, now that is a very powerful backbone for a party! :D

8. StormCast Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree with Earl Gray

Never undererestimate the power of a sorcerer, havent beten the game yeth, but when I have I'm going to solo Sorc(My favourite class) in HoF.

Did the same in BG2ToB, and that was too easy even with extra paches for more difficulties.

Anyway, If you want to boost up your sorc, giv her a level in Paladin. That'll give her handy feats(Weapons, armor(If you go that way), Som extra special abilities and will realy boost up your saves since both clases have char as prime ability)

9. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Storm. If you are going to solo a sorcerer in HoF is it going to be from level 1 or after the 1st run through?

I have done this before from level 1 and I can give you some strategies and advice if you like.

Cheers.

10. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@earl grey:
    "At medium to high levels spellcasters are far superior to fighters"

How did you come to that idea?I can bet that no spellcaster of the same level will beat my fighter\thief\barbarian.Al least it'll not be easy IMHO he is exactly spellcaster killer hhaha :D .And second you have here a battle after battle - you like to sleep after every 2-3 encounters?Because spellcasters MAY be stronger than fighters in ONE battle but totally useless after that with no spells :rolleyes:

EDIT:And what will a spellcaster party do in battle squares?Win one battle to obtain the key? :D :D :D

[ November 30, 2002, 11:11: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

11. Balzac Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Kind of a newbie at the 3rd edition kits and all. What is difference between a sorcerer and wizard? When i said wizard i guess i was making a generalization for all those "damage" spell casters.

And with sorcerers...when they lvl, suddenly they just have the ability to memorize more and new spells?

thanks

12. Khazraj Gems: 20/31

Balzac. Wizards use INT and memorise spells. Sorcerers use CHA and "know" spells. Sorcerers of course cast more of a small repertoire of spells on the fly, whereas Wizards can have a huge repertoire but can only cast what they have previously memorised so if a spell is not cast it has become "useless". In the long run sorcerers know less spells but can cast more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.