1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

problem: slow game

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by fullmooninu, Feb 17, 2006.

1. MindBlank Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes, but i set it all the way down, and it's not really under the minimum specs if you check.

And i just said in the previous post that it drops the same amount when spellcasting and then bounces back to 30 FPS. Same with Chahopek (that is where i test, that's why i bring it up) - drops to 7 FPS when he appears and stays here untill something happens and it starts working - then it jumps up to 24-25 FPS which, i said, is what the system can pull at best in this scene.

Oh, and BTW, if you check the Readme or on the net, the Recommended System Requirements are
    System: PIII 500 or equivalent
    RAM: 128 MB
    which is exactly what i have.

And besides that, i didn't say the game doesn't run smoothly in the first place. On the contrary, it runs very well on a system on which i can't even play CS unless i set it to "software render", it's just that it does the same thing.

It's a real shame that neither ATI or nV are looking into these problems theirselfs. And it's a crying shame that BIS isn't around anymore for a fix. It's really annoying to find yourself in a big battle and you can barely move the mouse. I have a hard time pushing the buttons!

PS : Like i said - maybe my savegames have something... It is really pointless starting a new game and checking if it runs nice, as i have to reach a pretty high level so i get acces to more powerful spells, that i know slow the game down.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well, severe frame rate drops with a lot of action or spell effects on the screen are normal with such low specs (despite them being labelled recommended, they're still low). Not to mention that it also depends on the graphics card and a whole bunch of possible settings, from tile precache percentage to AI pathfinding to 3D acceleration on/off etc.

Incidentally, I've only noticed now that you have a Matrox graphics card, not Nvidia... This is from the readme:

24-bit color mode: Some Matrox video cards, particularly the G400, can have slow down problems when running in 24-bit color mode. It is highly recommended that the game is run in 16-bit or 32-bit color if you experience slowdowns or graphics problems. Problems can include flickering cursors, slow mouse response, and other graphical performance issues.

3. MindBlank Gems: 2/31

Yes, you are right, but you're completely besides my point. The game runs and plays great except when certain spells are cast, then it drops the same amount as on any of the above machines that i've tested. I get 7 FPS in the scene that i've chosen on everyone of those sytems, including this one, with the exception of MY current system (that 3800+) on which i get 5 FPS.

And, i ran it at 16 bit, of course on this P3/Matrox. I know what this Matrox can do, as it was chosen for 2D quality rather than 3D performance, where it utterly sucks.
    This is an old system, a system on which you say the game should run nice. And it does for the most part.
    It meets the RSR, though i played with everything on low and every other "nice" effect the game has, unchecked.
    Again, maybe my copy of the game has something, but that is highly unlikely... but, who knows?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It could also be an issue with your motherboard besides everything else already listed. Or the game itself, though that's the least likely possibility, but still, a copy of the game here and there is reported to not work as it should.

5. MindBlank Gems: 2/31

Yes, that could be possbile. I mean about the copy.

Maybe i'll try my friends copy when i can get hold of it.

About the mobo - it's unlikely... We're speaking of different platforms here, ranging from Athlon XP's Socket A and Socket 370 to Socket 939 and LGA775.

Another thing i could try is check out someone elses savegame. It could just as likely be that mine have something, as i don't really remember having so much framerate problem when first playing the game. I may not remember well, but who knows.

So if someone can give me a save at Chahopek, i could try it out. I prefer Chahopek cause i see one of the biggest framerate drops there. Or one just before the teleportation to the final battle with Isair and Madae. Again, i see huge drop in framerate there, when you get teleported.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    The frame rate drop with that specific battle is a known issue because of the huge number of scripts tacked to it, and the bonuses you get after the battle. I think pretty much everyone saw a slowdown there.

7. kmansp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To fix this issue, go to start, run, type in dxdiag. Go to the display tab. Disable directdraw, and restart the game. I know it's a pain in the butt, but it will fix the performance issue.

8. MindBlank Gems: 2/31

kmansp - Oh.My.God.
    I did what you said and it does not drop under 30FPS under any circumstance!

It is unbelievable. I have never seen Chahopek move fluently untill now :)

I tried all my "spots" and it worked just flawlessly.

So, i guess DirectX has something to do with this, as i have recent versions (pre game i mean) for every computer i tested it with.

I'll have to remember this, so i can share it with other people having the same problems.

EDIT : Taluntain can you please make a sticky with this fix, as i really don't think i'm the only on to have this problem.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah, now there's another variable I didn't account for... DirectX! Hah...

Yea, I'll sticky this.

10. Lionheart Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hello everyone...
    Could someone tell me if this slow down problem occurs to computers with ATI graphic cards?
    I have Radeon X1600 and it seems sometimes it runs well and sometimes it slows down...I don't know what's happening...
    I don't think turning off DirectDraw is a good choice,it ruins other games with 3D graphics and I don't feel like turning on and off whenever I wanna switch to other games...

11. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Excuse me could anyone tell me why after I turned off the DirectDraw does the mouse in game begins to flicker?Despite good performance ,it is very umcomfortable!

12. Lionheart Gems: 4/31

Someone please help me if you know the issue above!

13. Evil.Iguana Gems: 1/31

So it's a driver issue, more specifically related to DirectX. Disabling Directdraw acceleration fixes the slowdown quite effectively but makes the pointer flicker and does make screen scrolling seem a little flickery at times. It reminds me of scrolling in a web browser on a PC with just the basic VGA video driver installed, though not nearly as bad. But that makes a lot of sense given that both are cases of running an application sans the expected drivers.

I really wish there were a real solution to this, but since BIS is no more and the game is 3+ years old now the only way it would likely get fixed is by a 3rd party. For most gamers reverting to old drivers is simply not an option because our other games will stop working correctly.

As for why the problem even exists. Well old games do sometimes have problems on newer hardware/driver setups. IWDII is not that old a game, in fact I have even older games that work just fine. However, the Infinity engine is an old engine at it's core. Personally I consider IE games the very pinnacle of 2d game design, sort of equivalent to the huge steam locomotives built in the first half of the 20th century as diesel was becoming the dominant propulsion system. Even back when BGI was released 2d computer games were in decline. IWD2 worked fine on the hardware available in 2003 but probably just barely. Add another 3 or 4 years of age and the tweaks that made the IE viable on then current hardware stop being applicable. The core code of the engine was not written with DirectX 9 or Geforce 6800s in mind, and the revenue potential is simply not there to make hiring a coder to update it worthwhile.

Oh well, at least the choppiness is not game breaking thanks to the pause key and there are some options out there. Maybe someday Bioware or ex Black Isle employees will see it fit to release the IE source code to amateur modders. A guy can dream can't he?

14. Daemonic Lazoth Gems: 1/31

Ive been running it on a Duron 1100 with a Raedon 9600, 512Mb RAM and a 2.3Ghz PIV with a Quadro3, 512Mb RAM. On both computers I have no problem and i have it set to maxed out levels

15. Cirrus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've played the game on a P2 400 with 196MB RAM and on my Pentium M 1.7GB laptop with 1GB RAM. I've never had any problems with the game (excluding the slowdown in the horde fortress which was fine after the fix). I have not finished the game but I have gotten as far as obtaining the Holy Avenger so I can't vouch for it all the way through. Also, despite the shortcomings on the P2 this game ran great. I didn't even have to bottom out the performance on the game config.

16. Blue Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I've been reading this thread and seen some hints to a patch that will help with certain slowdown issues. What issues is it for, and where can I find it?

My problem - with both IWD 1 and IWD 2 - is that in certain areas, the game sort of stops for a couple of seconds and then runs for a second or less before stopping again, making it impossible to move without using the pause key and the ctr-J cheat to move the characters.

While playing IWD 1 I thought there was something wrong with the game, but now that I get exactly the same problem in IWD 2, I realise it must be something else. Is the aforementioned patch working for this issue? Would anybody be able to give me a link to it?

(Ive tried to look for it on the resource pages, but a very persistent ad takes over EVERY time I try to open that page - it covers half the page, launches multiple download windows that open again every time they are closed, and the ad cant be removed - so its impossible for me to see the menus in the sidebar to look for patches or anything else there. )

17. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If I remember correctly this was an identifyed bug which was worked on. I think they have a patch for it but I'm too tired to dig it up.

18. Taluntain

Media:
  19. VeryLich Gems: 2/31

My game worked fine, until the second floor of the goblin warrens leading to horde fortress. It is so impossibly laggy there. Turning the graphic and other options to minimum didn't decrease it. Any help?

20. Taluntain

Media:
    Check the link in my previous post, first item listed.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.