1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stormlord of Talos - cleric creation question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Spliff Krieger, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Ok, it's been a while since I played IWD2, but my friends and me are gonna take another LAN-trip through the game again...
    We play with 3, and the party will consist of a Fighter, a Monk and a Cleric (me). We are obviously low on raw damage power, but we are gonna go through the game like that anyway, eventually multiclassing if the lack of damage gets unbearable...

Anyway, I was thinking of making a stormlord of talos, purely because we would gain some destructive spells (as both other characters are melee). Now I have 2 questions:

1.) Do I need to put some points in CHA to maximize the potential of those destructive spells, or do clerics cast these spells with WIS like the rest of their spells?

2.) Does my cleric get spell casting failures with those destructive spells when wearing heavy armor? Or are these spells, again, considered as basic cleric spells and thus unaffected by armor?

Thanks guys!

2. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm almost sure domain spells work like any other cleric spell: No casting failures in armor and wis-bonus applies, so no need of cha.

3. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Awesome :D

thanks Mudde!

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

[​IMG] You must know that some destructive cleric spells, those with touch range, ie:Slay LÄ°ving, Harm, and Destruction, plus all other Inflict X wounds type spells, have incorrect DCs, they have a fixed and very low DC, and does not gain benefit from WIS and spell focuses. So they are a lot less effective, they won't work unless the victim rolls a natural 1 on he fortitude save most of the time.

Tal Rasha's tactics mod fixes it somewhat, giving the spells a higher DC they deserve. BUT the mod also greatly enhances nearly all enemies and battles in the game, so I do not reccomend it unless you are truly experienced and/or want to try something different. (get Undead Targos too, in this case, for maximum pain! :p )

Wail of the Banshee works fine though, since it is an area effect, not a touch item with fixed and incorrect DC! :thumb:

5. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Ah ok thanks, that's some usefull stuff! But looking at the spells for a stormlord, there are a lot of ranged and aoe spells:

Talos (CN, NE, CE)

5 Electrical Resistance
    Destructive Blow 1/Day (gain a +2 bonus to hit and damage for a number of rounds equal to level).
    1st: Shocking Grasp, Doom
    2nd: Death Armor, Gedlee's Electric Loop
    3rd: Storm Shell, Lightning Bolt
    4th: Protection From Electricity, Static Charge
    5th: Slay Living, Ball Lightning
    6th: Whirlwind, Chain Lightning
    7th: Tremor, Destruction
    8th: Fire Storm, Acid Storm
    9th: Wail of the Banshee, Horrid Wilting

Maybe a bit against the traditional way of playing clerics, but my plan is to stay in the back and let the melee dudes take the hits... I'll buff & heal 'm, assist 'm with ranged destructive spells, and still be able to hold off the occasional monster that gets through the "melee barricade"... And when the sh*t really hits the fan, I can always go in melee range...

So I hope that I don't have to use the touch range spells too often...

6. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I asume you are aware of this but just for beeing certain: Most might consider picking the chaotic neutral alignment since that lets you be able to convert spells to healing (the evil alignments can only convert to inflict spells) thus giving you alot more option to memorise different spells and still be able to heal. Same with raise dead iirc.

Another thing, as im sure someof the others will point out here, is that your cleric have the posibility of doing better in melee that the warriors on the team, with the right stats and spells. So no need to be shy.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I agree with Raptor, definitely go CN, do not prepare healing spells, convert them to healing when you need them, This way you will be a lot more effective!

8. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Only spells named Cure [X] Wounds can be spontaneously cast. You will actually have to prepare Raise Dead, Heal, and Ressurrection if you want to cast them.

9. raptor Gems: 16/31

JT: i was thinking more about that i was uncertain if evil clerics could memorise raise dead/resurection at all in this game. I don't recal what game it was that did not let evil clerics use those, and not let good priest use the opposites (slay living etc). but there is a high likability im wrong on this one :)

10. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks for reminding me of that! I remember from last time I was able to convert spells, but I forgot all about it! That certainly makes picking spells a lot easier!

Just for the record, how do I convert them? Shift-clicking the spells right?

11. raptor Gems: 16/31

yup, shift click is right.

12. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Oh, man, what a dolt I've been memorizing heal spells :doh: when I could have been converting them. As of now no more memorized heal spells. Yeah, I read about it but it didn't sink in. Thanks, guys.

13. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Revmaf, remember that it's the "Cure X Wounds" spells, not the Heal and Mass Heal spells that can be converted. If you want to have any Heal or Mass Heal spells available in combat, you'll still have to memorize them.

14. revmaf

Thanks, Crucis, that's what I meant to say. Still feeling duh.

15. raptor Gems: 16/31

16. revmaf

LOL, Raptor.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.