1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Tymora's Loop

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Shadow Mage, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Shadow Mage Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

When a character has Young Ned's Knucky (Luck+2, Saves+2) equipped a clover leaf appears on the character's portrait to indicate improved luck. However, Tymora's Loop (Luck+3) does not produce this clover leaf when equipped. This would suggest that Tymora's Loop doesn't work. Because the effects of luck occur behind the scenes, has anybody been able to determine that Tymora's Loop does in fact work?

2. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

Actually, there's no real connection between the icon that appears on a character's small portrait and the effect that it represents. When you create an item, you have to create the effect and the portrait icon seperately.

And in the case of Tymora's Loop, it was not created by BIS to include a portrait icon, but it does have a Luck modifier. Does it work? Who knows? But the fact that there's no portrait icon has no relationship to its ability to enhance your luck.

3. Von'Meyer Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Remind me, can you even see in your character records screen where and how "luck" effects your character? I honestly don't remember what good this spell or spell like effect does. I think it effects saves, but maybe its saves versus certain things.

4. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yes, Tymoras loop works! I used it for some time in my last playthrough a couple of months ago (got it in end of normal and played through hof). It worked fine and helped my sorcerer to massive damage with DBF:s :)

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Screw Obi Wan, I'm with Han!

6. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sorry, crucis - this is not always the case. Look at the Dwarven Ogre belt. The blur effect "automatically" gives you the portrait icon. It seems to be the same with certain others (but why some and not others?).

I think the reason why Tymora's Loop doesn't have the portrait icon is obvious - portrait icons stack. For example, if you wore Ned's Lucky Knucky and 2 Tymora's Loop rings, then you would actually get 3 luck portrait icons appearing!
    This would look kind of stupid. So they limited it to just 1 item.

7. nunsbane

nunsbane

There is no explicit indication that Tymora's Loop is actually shading affected rolls by 3 points. However, if you use DK2 to give a melee character two rings for a +6 luck bonus you will notice a definite increase in the number of critical hits as you will now effectively be making a critical hit on a roll of 14-20.

A more direct test may be to check if the character wearing the rings is charged with a critical miss upon rolling a '7'.

Edit: I used DK2 to give a melee character two rings and in 50 attack rolls he never rolled less than a 7...and when he did roll a 7 he was not charged with a critical miss. Apparently, any luck modifier at all makes a critical miss an impossibility as you can't roll a 1.

[ February 23, 2007, 02:30: Message edited by: nunsbane ]

8. Shadow Mage Gems: 2/31

Alas Da Rock, identical portrait icons do not stack. Even if your character is wearing two or three items with for example fire protection, there is still only one little flame on your portrait. I have yet to see the same icon appear more than once on any of my characters' portraits.

My point is that Tymora's Loop did not display the improved luck icon even when it was the only lucky item equipped. That and the fact that there was absolutely no change in any of the character's stats upon equipping the ring led me to believe that maybe Tymora's Loop didn't do anything.

9. Shadow Mage Gems: 2/31

I have observed that Tymora's Loop is not influencing the amount of damage my wizard's spells are doing, even though other posts say that it should. If Tymora's Loop did influence his spell damage his magic missiles should always do 5 damage but they do not. The missile damage ranges from 2 to 5 just as it would without luck.

I purchased a mod short sword that places its bearer under the Luck spell. When I gave it to my wizard the clover icon appeared on his portrait and many of his stats increased by one just as they should (surprisingly including his AC). I attacked something with magic missile and sure enough the minimum damage was now 3 instead of 2.

As a result of all of this I am forced to conclude that Tymora's Loop does not work properly if at all. I have read other players go on and on about how great it is but it doesn't appear to work for me.

10. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Weird. Are you sure your game is properly patched?

I never got Tymora's loop though, so I can not comment. Sorry.

11. Shadow Mage Gems: 2/31

I have patch 2.01. Is there another patch I should have as well?

12. Da Rock Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

You obviously haven't "modded" the Tymora's Loop ring to display the Luck icon then...

...However, you are right in the fact that if you wear 2 rings of fire resistance, only 1 fire protection icon appears.

This is also not true. I have experienced 1s while wearing luck items. You are right about the minimum "to hit" roll (in your case being 7). Perhaps you were lucky not to get a critical miss.

As for spells, I don't know. Luck does increase the damage roll for weapons, but does NOT increase additional weapon damage, such as +1d6 fire damage. Perhaps this may have something to do with spells (the way the coders programmed the way damage is rolled).

So Shadow Mage, the best way to check Tymora's Loop is giving it to someone with a vanilla dagger. If the character always does the same amount of damage (which he/she should) then you'll know that it at least works for this part of the dice rolls.

There is still debate as to what exactly luck affects. For example, the club that grants the bearer "luck" doesn't actually do this. Instead of adding a Luck bonus (Effect 22), it adds several effects - base attack bonus, attack damage bonus, saving throw bonus and bonuses to most of those skills that have an effect index (e.g. Pick Pockets = Effect 92).

13. nunsbane

nunsbane

Da Rock, I wasn't lucky - I did roll a few 7's and was not charged with a critical miss...if a 7 is not a critical miss in my example above then there will never be a critical miss. I can't speak for every luck modifier, but the second level Luck spell, Young Ned's Knucky, and Tymora's Loop all completely prevent a critical miss. The 1s you experienced while wearing luck items could have been due to luck modifiers not working properly for whatever reason.

Shadow Mage, my sorcerer's magic missiles are not influenced by Tymora's Loop or Young Ned's Knucky either.

14. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Lol I remember when people thought the ring to be useles! They claimed it was a waste of a ring slot because it didn't do a thing, yet they never rolled a '1' again :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.